Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheese on toast vs 'grilled' cheese vs cheese toastie

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
OK. I'll tell my olive oil producing friends they're wrong when I see them on Saturday.
Jesus . I asked a question which you answered and was quite happy with your explanation about how it’s measured in Andalucia .
I have , unlike your good self , never worked in an olive oil producing factory nor do I have any oil producing mates . I am not in a position to suggest you are wrong and the last thing I would want to do is for you to tell your olive oil producing pals that they are wrong .
However I'm sure they will be delighted to be regaled with the news from you when you see them Saturday that some bloke off the internet in Portugal has two bottles of supermarket oil that he uses for cooking that has on the back of the bottle ‘Acidez Maxima 0.7%’.

64A5FB8F-3A7D-4F20-A365-5A4A59C0904F.jpeg

And I think it's the superior cheese and toast combo.
I have also come to this conclusion. A few additional ingredients can work well - some tomato and some tabasco for instance.
I've found the best way to get a good melt is a low heat with a lid on the pan.

Besides, cleaning a toastie maker is a pain in the arse, and cheese on toast takes too long.

I made my first one last night. I thought the bread would burn before the cheese melted but it worked perfectly and will be my method from now on.

Tonight is Welsh Rarebit (made with a roux and beer)!
Are you going to change your vote?

Are you going to change your vote?

I don’t think I will. The cheese toastie with nicely crisped, sealed edges, is still the ultimate for me. However, the grilled cheese wins on speed, and lack of machine-cleaning. So I’m basing my vote on making it myself, and being a lazy git. If someone else is making it and doing the washing-up, I’ll still go for the toastie.

You've not lived. Breakfast of champions. And lunch. And dinner. And midnight snack/munchies.

So; I have mayonnaise. Sounds like I also need to obtain bread and cheese in order to try a grilled cheese sandwich in a hot pan (I have pans and heat) and I might want to include something else inside the sandwich: these include but are not limited to spring onion, tomato, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, a Roo, beer and green tomato ketchup

So; I have mayonnaise. Sounds like I also need to obtain bread and cheese in order to try a grilled cheese sandwich in a hot pan (I have pans and heat) and I might want to include something else inside the sandwich: these include but are not limited to spring onion, tomato, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, a Roo, beer and green tomato ketchup
Going to need some huge slices of bread to fit one of those in. :eek:

I told the Mrs a while back that I missed cheese toasties, so she got me a toastie maker that is basically two metal plates you heat in the microwave first. Once hot, you put the cheese sandwich between them and hold them together with a silicone strap at either end, before putting it back in the microwave to cook again.

It gives you a sort of cheese toastie. The bread slices are definitely toasted on either side, and the cheese melted between them. However, the sides are not squished together tightly enough to stop the cheese all running out over the plates and the microwave if you cook it too long, and you don't get the rock solid, razor sharp edges to cut your mouth open with that you get with a proper squishing toastie maker. Nor does the cheese inside become hotter than the sun, and no blast of super heated air flies out of it like opening the very gates of hell themselves when you bite an end off.

In many ways, and used carefully, it's a superior device to the squishing toastie maker. But I miss the 'basically glass made of bread' style toasties of my youth, from machines that were next to impossible to clean.

Basically, I blame brexit. Or King Charles III. One of the two anyway. You couldn't make it up.
Metal plates in the microwave you say? What could possibly go wrong :hmm:

They look like this moochedit

When I was a teen back in the 80s, we had a toastie maker that just sealed around the edges and didn't have the diagonal cutty in half bit. That was a far superior toastie maker, but it seems it went the way of the betamax video and succumbed to the inferior, and yet inexplicably more popular, version of the device.

I'm not a fan of the toastie as I don't like the dry bread edges. The fact that you can only use crappy sliced bread. The tiny amount of filling you can get in. I'm sure someone will be among to tell.me I'm wrong but I also can't be arsed climbing up to retrieve the machine from off the top of the kitchen cupboards and then cleaning the bloody thing afterwards.

I eat a lot of straightforward cheese on toast and I actually like the burnt bread edges. Indian chutneys make this particulary divine.

The American style fried cheese sandwich Is superb when I can be bothered. Best with ham.

I've never made proper full on Welsh rarebit. Is it worth the effort?

I'm bored of my own post now.....

Last edited:
When I was a teen back in the 80s, we had a toastie maker that just sealed around the edges and didn't have the diagonal cutty in half bit. That was a far superior toastie maker, but it seems it went the way of the betamax video and succumbed to the inferior, and yet inexplicably more popular, version of the device.

I'm not a fan of the toastie as I don't like the dry bread edges. The fact that you can only use crappy sliced bread. The tiny amount of filling you can get in. I'm sure someone will be among to tell.me I'm wrong but I also can't be arsed climbing up to retrieve the machine from off the top of the kitchen cupboards and then cleaning the bloody thing afterwards.

I eat a lot of straightforward cheese on toast and I actually like the burnt bread edges.

The American style fried cheese sandwich Is superb when I can be bothered.

I've never made proper full on Welsh rarebit.

I'm bored of my own post now.....
:D at the last line :D

This is exactly how I feel, which is why the toastie from a toastie machine is my least preferred option - the bread to filling ratio ends up too high.
Cheese on toast or grilled cheese the filling goes to the edges.
Also have a toastie machine covered in dust on top of a kitchen cabinet :hmm:

The quasedilla is a good addition to the hot bread/cheese combo cannon. Quicker and less indugent than the America style grilled cheese and I do like the combination of cheese , red onion, tomato and jalapeño. Coriander as well if it lurks in the fridge.

Is making full on Welsh rarebit worth the effort? I ask of those who have bothered to do so. It could be a good tea this week if it's worth it. I only have standard cheddar at my disposal.

Last edited:
Well if we're heading away from the OP to general bread/cheese combo's then this was possibly one of the best things I have ever cooked.

Camembert hedgehog bread

Cut hole for camembert, cut bread as seen. Pour garlic and herb butter over bread. Bake.

There's a million different recipes out there but it's pretty damned easy.

Serve with a side helping of your preferred indigestion treatment.

1701602539469.png

Well if we're heading away from the OP to general bread/cheese combo's then this was possibly one of the best things I have ever cooked.

Camembert hedgehog bread

Cut hole for camembert, cut bread as seen. Pour garlic and herb butter over bread. Bake.

There's a million different recipes out there but it's pretty damned easy.

Serve with a side helping of your preferred indigestion treatment.

View attachment 402844

Outstanding! :thumbs:

The quasedilla is a good addition to the hot bread/cheese combo cannon. Quicker and less indugent than the America style grilled cheese and I do like the combination of cheese , red onion, tomato and jalapeño. Coriander as well if it lurks in the fridge.

Is making full on Welsh rarebit worth the effort? I ask of those who have bothered to do so. It could be a good tea this week if it's worth it. I only have standard cheddar at my disposal.

Had a quasedilia on Friday and thought of this thread too late to grab a piccie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom