Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheese on toast vs 'grilled' cheese vs cheese toastie

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Also, according to oil producers I knew, Italian oil is often "adulterated" by adding Spanish oil. I was told that a large part of oil being exported goes to Italy.

Lol, I expect all the Italian and Greek producers have similar stories about exporting their oil to Spain ;)

The flavours can vary enormously and the use to which you want to put the oil should take this into consideration. Good oil should have an acidity of less than 7.

The flavour and nose will clearly indicate whether it's a good oil.

You cannot get really good oil in the UK supermarkets.

Do you mean 0.7% ?

I have family in Greece so I understand what you’re saying about olive oil.

As I said, for a British supermarket olive oil, the Casolare is “not too bad”.

This thread sent me down an olive oil rabbit hole for the evening. There's some seriously expensive stuff out there. Some of the most highly prized olive oil comes from France, which surprised me.

This thread sent me down an olive oil rabbit hole for the evening. There's some seriously expensive stuff out there. Some of the most highly prized olive oil comes from France, which surprised me.

Once you know, you know.

Theres no going back. You can’t un-know.

Probably needs its own thread really

You’re missing out. They’re quite special.
Hm They’re nice, and different to cheese on toast, but they’re very much not Cheese on Toast
I’ve all day been feeling a bit robbed, even though I made a new delicious snack. Must get the grill working again.

Lol, I expect all the Italian and Greek producers have similar stories about exporting their oil to Spain ;)
I don't doubt that at all. But each countries oil has different and unique characteristics. I, as you would expect perhaps, prefer the Spanish oils. Having lived in a major oil producing area, and worked in an olive processing plant I got to experience a lot of different qualities. I also cured my own olives which gave me additional insights to the product.

It's all about tracing the producer really, the industry is big business with the usual attraction to criminality that that entails.

I personally like Greek olive oil best, but I'm unsure of the relevance of the amount of detail gone into here on a thread about cheese & toasted/fried bread varieties.
Although having said that, I can see it working on a panini with mozzarella or halloumi and tomatoes.

I'm a fan of all varieties of cheese on toast/grilled cheese, not so keen on the Breville sealed-edges style of toasted sandwich but I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered :D

It's all about tracing the producer really, the industry is big business with the usual attraction to criminality that that entails.

Indeed, one of the world's most faked foodstuffs (along with truffles, maple syrup, wagyu beef, and wasabi). The primary gig is the obvious one; selling lower quality oil as premium product, but South America leads the world in producing and selling "olive oil" that's not from olives at all. Unscrupulous olive oil dealers were frequently crucified in ancient Rome.

Spain is the largest exporter by far, producing over 50% of the world's olive oil but they're also one of the largest importers of it too (along with the US and Italy). Spain is Turkey's biggest customer. Italy and Spain import so much because they export most of their best produce which is too expensive for their domestic markets, so the majority of the inexpensive oil used domestically is blended from imported stuff and lower quality local oil. That's not fraudulent as long as it's labelled as a product of multiple countries but of course, it often isnt. Both Italy and Spain export blended oils too, so checking provenence is key.

Last edited:
No. The oil's acidity is often measured in ° of acidity, this would meet your suggestion of 0,7° but in my part of Andalucía it's measured in %. Hence 0,7° translates to approx 7%

I had a look at a couple of bottles from in the kitchen this morning and they are 0.7%. I've also got some home pressed stuff from Alentejo but there is no label.

I've had to read 6 pages of nonsense before being able to ask my question.

I have a panini press, but it makes rubbish cheese toasties as it burns the toast before the cheese is melted.

Any advice please?

I have a panini press, but it makes rubbish cheese toasties as it burns the toast before the cheese is melted.

Any advice please?
Microwave, then toast. Microwaved bread is awful, but you're just going to toast it and cure that problem anyhow.

Indeed, one of the world's most faked foodstuffs (along with truffles, maple syrup, wagyu beef, and wasabi). The primary gig is the obvious one; selling lower quality oil as premium product, but South America leads the world in producing and selling "olive oil" that's not from olives at all. Unscrupulous olive oil dealers were frequently crucified in ancient Rome.

Spain is the largest exporter by far, producing over 50% of the world's olive oil but they're also one of the largest importers of it too (along with the US and Italy). Spain is Turkey's biggest customer. Italy and Spain import so much because they export most of their best produce which is too expensive for their domestic markets so the majority of the inexpensive oil used domestically is blended from imported stuff and lower quality local oil. That's not fraudulent as long as it's labelled as a product of multiple countries, but of course, it often isnt. Both Italy and Spain export blended oils too, so checking provenence is key.
Stick with us... an offer you can't refuse..
1701337752140.png

Any advice please?

Nothing easy. If you can't adjust the temperature of the plates, you've got a problem. There might be a way of reducing the power. Someone like gentlegreen might have a solution.

Spain is the largest exporter by far, producing over 50% of the world's olive oil but they're also one of the largest importers of it too (along with the US and Italy). Spain is Turkey's biggest customer. Italy and Spain import so much because they export most of their best produce which is too expensive for their domestic markets so the majority of the inexpensive oil used domestically is blended from imported stuff and lower quality local oil. That's not fraudulent as long as it's labelled as a product of multiple countries, but of course, it often isnt. Both Italy and Spain export blended oils too, so checking provenence is key.
1701338165795.png?

I told the Mrs a while back that I missed cheese toasties, so she got me a toastie maker that is basically two metal plates you heat in the microwave first. Once hot, you put the cheese sandwich between them and hold them together with a silicone strap at either end, before putting it back in the microwave to cook again.

It gives you a sort of cheese toastie. The bread slices are definitely toasted on either side, and the cheese melted between them. However, the sides are not squished together tightly enough to stop the cheese all running out over the plates and the microwave if you cook it too long, and you don't get the rock solid, razor sharp edges to cut your mouth open with that you get with a proper squishing toastie maker. Nor does the cheese inside become hotter than the sun, and no blast of super heated air flies out of it like opening the very gates of hell themselves when you bite an end off.

In many ways, and used carefully, it's a superior device to the squishing toastie maker. But I miss the 'basically glass made of bread' style toasties of my youth, from machines that were next to impossible to clean.

Basically, I blame brexit. Or King Charles III. One of the two anyway. You couldn't make it up.

I told the Mrs a while back that I missed cheese toasties, so she got me a toastie maker that is basically two metal plates you heat in the microwave first. Once hot, you put the cheese sandwich between them and hold them together with a silicone strap at either end, before putting it back in the microwave to cook again.

It gives you a sort of cheese toastie. The bread slices are definitely toasted on either side, and the cheese melted between them. However, the sides are not squished together tightly enough to stop the cheese all running out over the plates and the microwave if you cook it too long, and you don't get the rock solid, razor sharp edges to cut your mouth open with that you get with a proper squishing toastie maker. Nor does the cheese inside become hotter than the sun, and no blast of super heated air flies out of it like opening the very gates of hell themselves when you bite an end off.

In many ways, and used carefully, it's a superior device to the squishing toastie maker. But I miss the 'basically glass made of bread' style toasties of my youth, from machines that were next to impossible to clean.

Basically, I blame brexit. Or King Charles III. One of the two anyway. You couldn't make it up.
Ned Ludd never around when you need him...

The only reason I've kept our ancient George Foreman grill is for toasties as it's crap for anything else. Cleaning it is an arse though. It's the one thing that might often stay on the counter uncleaned for a few days whilst we both hope that the other will sort it out.

:hmm:

Not fair, some if the best cheese to come out of an aerosol can is American…

It's not as bad as it sounds. It's not good, but it's not terrible.

Ok it is terrible, but better than you'd imagine aerosol cheese to be

Nothing easy. If you can't adjust the temperature of the plates, you've got a problem. There might be a way of reducing the power. Someone like gentlegreen might have a solution.
I suppose it depends on whether there's electronics - you could in theory use some sort of variable transformer or triac power controller///

The only reason I've kept our ancient George Foreman grill is for toasties as it's crap for anything else. Cleaning it is an arse though. It's the one thing that might often stay on the counter uncleaned for a few days whilst we both hope that the other will sort it out.

There was a fantastic comic strip in Viz once, done in the style of a 1950's 'How it was invented' kids comic, that explained that the impossible to clean toastie maker was invented by someone who stepped in dog poo in their trainers, and had to scrape the poo out of each of the thin treads on the bottom of the trainer using a matchstick.

I was the same. But we got rid of ours for a new toastie machine and it's rubbish. :(

There was a fantastic comic strip in Viz once, done in the style of a 1950's 'How it was invented' kids comic, that explained that the impossible to clean toastie maker was invented by someone who stepped in dog poo in their trainers, and had to scrape the poo out of each of the thin treads on the bottom of the trainer using a matchstick.

They'd be a piece of piss to make more user friendly. Why didn't they make the plates removable? 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom