Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheese on toast vs 'grilled' cheese vs cheese toastie

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
I have nothing against poppity ping and I bet it sounds ace in a Welsh accent.

It's the method man, the method!
I should have said it was t'OH's speed method when they're in too much hurry to do things properly, rather than one I favour myself.

Croque madame
Croque monsieur
Lazy version of both with different melted cheeses like mozzarella and whichever maybe a smoked one
Cheese on toast but with meats added or any or the cheeses
Toasties made with cheese and meats as before

Including ham, pulled pork, ham, pulled chicken, corned beef, roasted chicken with the skin as a crispy bit or without, so many bbq or other sauces, seasoning and chopped herbs, mainly chives with ham and cheese.

My bastardised Jamie Olivers tuna melt piadina thats an inch thick pan fried and fluffy but dense then cut in half lengthways for a giant pan fried sandwich stuffed with whichever above.

Impossible to choose, whatever stuff is available and how much effort I can be bothered to make really.

Lazy effort would be air frier ham and cheese on bread, maybe some mustard or chives.

I love all the variations but, in the case of a cheese toastie (as opposed to the pan fried Croque Monsieur) I like to add a processed cheese slice for cheap and nasty kicks.

Not sure you could call cheese on toast world stage but visitors to Ireland discover that in many, many of it's numerous pubs the only food on offer (apart from Manhattens peanuts and Tayto crisps) is the toasted cheese(/ham) sandwich. It is slightly different in execution to previously discussed variations, there is a job specific double grill that the publicans use to knock out tasty cheese toasties in a few minutes.

View attachment 402120

View attachment 402122

So póg mo thón. :D
That’s the proper pub grill . Decades ago I used to love toasted cheese and onion sandwiches made on them. Actually just got an urge for a proper pint of Guinness and one of them .

We have an excellent flat panini maker at work which does a bloody brilliant American style grilled cheese - has become a lunch staple.

However, give me a grill and proper cheese on toast any day. Not a fan of the toastie - don't like the hard crimped edges

Cheese on toast ftw.

What the Americans call a 'grilled cheese' is actually a fried cheese sandwich. I've never tried one because I don't trust any recipe created by people who don't know the difference between a grill and a frying pan. Would you buy a car off someone who told you it was a helicopter?

What the Americans call a 'grilled cheese' is actually a fried cheese sandwich. I've never tried one because I don't trust any recipe created by people who don't know the difference between a grill and a frying pan. Would you buy a car off someone who told you it was a helicopter?

I grew up in NYC. I never saw a grilled cheese sandwich that had anything to do with frying.

We have an excellent flat panini maker at work which does a bloody brilliant American style grilled cheese - has become a lunch staple.

However, give me a grill and proper cheese on toast any day. Not a fan of the toastie - don't like the hard crimped edges

Next time you’re in, could you please make a note of the make/model of this excellent panini maker?

I’m prepping for the potentially permanent loss of my vintage Breville.

I had an original Breville toastie maker. It was going strong all these years. I loved it.

But I made a fatal error. After one of the very occasional proper washes with soapy water, I hung it over the radiator to dry and took it down after a couple of days. I’ve done this over the decades without any problems, but this time, perhaps I didn’t let it dry out sufficiently or something. The next time I used it, it zapped and shorted the whole kitchen. The rubber flex has blown.
The flex and plug are all integral so I’ll have to strip it all back in order to mend it.

I’ve checked to see if modern toasted sandwich makers are any good and it’s obvious to me that none of them are better than the original, and most of them fall far short.

This one :

View attachment 402125
RIP story 's gallant little toastee maker.

RIP story 's gallant little toastee maker.

I’m very sad. It’s under the stool in the corner of the kitchen. Every time I catch a glimpse of it I recall, in Proustian emotional detail, the many many many nights of staggering home to my Dad’s place late late so late it’s early and scalding my mouth on the molten cheese, dipping the dry crusts into extra mayo, sucking down tea of the perfect temperature before swerving up the stair wall to bed

Celtic fringe fail. all we need now is someone fron Cornwall to say they make toastees in a trouser press or something.

Anglos Saxons; the true masters of the melted cheese and bread based snack/light meal...

Not the Italians….?

Back
Top Bottom