Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheese on toast vs 'grilled' cheese vs cheese toastie

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Well, every morning for the last 6 months, I’ve been starting my day at 8 o’clock with a sarnie as such:

One slice of Aldi “Best of Both” sliced pan
One slice of Maasdam cheese
Two baby plum tomatoes chopped fine
12 dry roasted peanuts
Good twist of black pepper
Thin layer of Gruyere
A processed cheese slice
Another slice of bread smeared with mayonnaise

All cooked in a toasted sandwich maker (one which cuts it in half) for 6 minutes

Simply divine 😎

Well, every morning for the last 6 months, I’ve been starting my day at 8 o’clock with a sarnie as such:

12 dry roasted peanuts
Thin layer of Gruyere
A processed cheese slice

All cooked in a toasted sandwich maker (one which cuts it in half) for 6 minutes

Simply divine 😎
Liked especially for the regular routine breakfast, and also for the recipe and method, without 15 pages of bla and pretty photographs.

12 dry roasted peanuts
Thin layer of Gruyere
A processed cheese slice

Simply divine 😎

14 peanuts would be better.

The crumpet based “cheese on toast” thing I had earlier in the thread was such a winner that I ate every crumpet in the pack in the same way. Even though I really bought them to have a honey crumpet, the mustard, Comté, fried egg and jalepeńo combo won every day. Not having a toaster, I precooked the crumpet in butter in a hot pan on either side til it was the correct degree of crispy. Then spread on a goodly layer of Dijon mustard, then veiled it with plenty of thinly sliced cheese and bunged that under the grill while I used the buttery pan to fry the egg. As the week progressed I made a few tweaks, but in the end reverted to the original.

Decent bread - some kind of sourdough - one side dipped in seasoned, beaten egg.

First slice dropped into a frying pan of hot butter. Spread the up side with a little English mustard then draped some polish sliced cheese - the non melty kind - over the bread and a little grated cheddar. Then topped with a second slice of eggy dunked bread and turned over to brown on the other side.

I swirled the little bit of leftover egg into the pan as well to make an omelettey surround.

Bit of brown sauce

Chef's kiss

I had a manchego toastie yesterday (American style). Was nice, but felt a bit dry. Needed some sweet sauce/jam or something I think.

I may not agree with what you put on your toastie, but I will defend to the death your right to turn perfectly good bread and cheese into an abomination before the Lord. Still, you're stretching the limits of tolerance.

I may not agree with what you put on your toastie, but I will defend to the death your right to turn perfectly good bread and cheese into an abomination before the Lord. Still, you're stretching the limits of tolerance.
You talk as if I’m an oddity.

“A cheese and pickle sandwich is one of Britain’s best loved sandwiches.”

Branston Pickle is the most popular brand in the UK”.

I prefer cheese on toast but would not turn down either of the other options should they be offered me.
We used to have one of those Breville cheese toastie makers but it failed and was not replaced.

You talk as if I’m an oddity.

“A cheese and pickle sandwich is one of Britain’s best loved sandwiches.”

Branston Pickle is the most popular brand in the UK”.
You are confounding sandiwches and toasties.

Despite your perverse link, there are things that are acceptable on sandwiches that are taboo on toasties. Branston Pickle is a British embarrassment, but leave that for the moment. There is coleslaw, and this is perfectly fine on sandwiches. But, like pickle of any sort, not on toasties.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom