Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

It was going to be a turkey and hoisin stir fry but I only got 3 hours sleep last night and am feeling a little out of sorts so have demanded Mr.QofG's goes and buys some pizza at lunchtime and we'll have that instead :D

Beef stew which was prepped in the slow cooker yesterday with potatoes. There will be dumplings if I can manage to not snack this afternoon and so will have the calorie allowance left on my diet to have them.

I think I only had wine for tea last night although there was cheese all over the kitchen this morning so that's possibly not entirely true. Either way I need something proper tonight so Hairy Bikers Sausage/Bacon Casserole seems most likely atm.

Canneloni stuffed with ricotta, mushrooms & spinach, topped with tomato sauce & taleggio + roast asparagus. The littluns stuffed the cannelloni, a new favourite :)

ga7ujyva.jpg
That sounds, and looks, fab ringo! Must have a go at that myself.

Tonight we're on chachouka again - I WILL get those friggin eggs right this time! More cumin as well I reckon.

And, my lovely dad has made us damson gin, using damsons from his own garden, and blackberry gin. Gin makes me heave due to an unfortunate over-accidentallying when I was 12, but the damson gin isn't like gin at all, it's bloody lush :cool:

The blackberry gin still reeks of gin unfortunately, so I'm going to experiment later with mixing it with some fresh pomegranate juice - should be stonkin!

Having a bit of a freezer clear out so am making a simple chicken madras but adding a load of spinach and lentils to make it a bit more interesting :)

I think I only had wine for tea last night although there was cheese all over the kitchen this morning so that's possibly not entirely true. Either way I need something proper tonight so Hairy Bikers Sausage/Bacon Casserole seems most likely atm.

:D

Mice, blates

Dunno what's for tea, I can't be arsed to even think about it today :(

bought some braising steak earlier, and have been looking forward to it for most of the afternoon. Just remembered that i took some lasagne out the freezer this morning :facepalm: should be ok overnight in the fridge to take to work tomorrow, no? :hmm:

bought some braising steak earlier, and have been looking forward to it for most of the afternoon. Just remembered that i took some lasagne out the freezer this morning :facepalm: should be ok overnight in the fridge to take to work tomorrow, no? :hmm:

It'll be fine.

I'm forever doing that, forgetting I've defrosted something and buying something else that day. So I tend to stick the thing I've just bought into the freezer, taking the place of the bloody thing I've just defrosted. :D

THIS....and it's very yummy (recipe included)
Beef Rendang

1.5 lb Beef, cut into cubes of about 2 cm/ ¾ inches
3 Shallots, finely sliced
2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
1/2 inch Piece of Fresh Ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
1/2 inch Piece of Turmeric Root, peeled and roughly chopped, or 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
5 Fresh Red Chilies, deseeded, or 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Chopped Galangal or ½ tsp Ground Galangal
2 Pints Coconut Milk
1 Salam Leaf or Bay Leaf
1 Fresh Turmeric Leaf or 1 Lemongrass Stem
1 tsp Sea Salt

Method

Put the shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric root, chilies and galangal in a blender with 2 Tbsp of the coconut milk, and puree until smooth. Put this paste and the coconut milk in a large wok or saucepan. Add the meat and the rest of the ingredients to the pan; making sure that there is enough coconut milk to cover.

Stir the contents of the pan, and start cooking, uncovered, over a medium heat. Let the pan bubble gently for 1 ½ - 2 hours, stirring from time to time. The coconut milk will by then be quite thick and, of course much reduced.

If you started in a large saucepan, transfer everything to a wok and continue cooking in the same way for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. By now the coconut milk is beginning to reduce to oil, and the meat, which has so far been boiling, will soon be frying. From now on, the rendang needs to be stirred frequently. Taste, and add salt if necessary. When the coconut oil becomes thick and brown, stir continuously for about 15 minutes until the oil has been more or less completely absorbed by the meat. Take out and discard the salam or bay leaf, turmeric leaf or lemongrass. Serve warm with lots of rice.

Serves 4-5

We had a bit of a weird one.....some mini prawn spring rolls to start....followed by courgette soup with garlic bread....and a single roast potato each (left over from yesterday) for the kids.... :hmm: :hmm: :confused: :hmm:

Turned out there was only enough soup for them, too :facepalm: so I had spring rolls and garlic bread...and 3 bags of crisps.... :rolleyes:

I REALLY want something HOT to eat :( ...but I can't be arsed to make anything else :mad: .....so I might have a Snickers and a cup of tea now :D

It was supposed to be a chip butty but after I got home with the chips I dropped a soda syphon in my big toe. The last hour has been spent writhing in pain with ice on my toe so my chips are now cold. : (

*wails*

I don't know why I persist with courgettes ...
OK, they'd been sitting around for a bit. I fried them for a bit then added ginger and soy sauce and brown sugar and left them to marinate in a pot while I fried up some tomatoes and then mushrooms which I chucked on top of them to let the juices mingle.
Then I semi-fried some mushrooms, and chucked them in.

I then fried up some potatoes from yesterday and added the rest of the veggies back in.
While that lot were finishing I gently fried three free-range eggs and served them on top where they would finish cooking...

So a fried / braised thing .. the courgettes at least didn't distract too much ......
Hopefully the courgette pieces will acquire some real flavour by tomorrow evening - when I'm hoping to have cycled 20 miles on the way home.

Ended up having pesto pasta last night - gin and iplayer took up all chachouka-making time :hmm:

Toneet the fella's off out rehearsing, so we'll have big fuckoff slices of toast cut from wholemeal loaf, grilled cheese on top, then beans, then poached eggs on the very top, nom :cool:

Back
Top Bottom