Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Got hold of some Balkan dried beef and pork (from my Serbian dealer), so be chewing on that tonight, apparently goes well with beer, sounds like a well balanced meal. :D

Home a bit later than usual tonight & just have some homemade chickpea soup waiting for me, to which i'll add some more veg. Dentist and x-ray tomorow to determine whether wisdom tooth needs removing :( I'm craving a nice crunchy apple

got a new curry recipe book so....

lamb bhuna with an okra and mustard seed thingy and a potato and pea curry

and now i'm stuffed

Yaki Soba at Fujiyama for a lovely lady's birthday :) Now having a pudding of a bar of Fruit'n'Nut :oops: :cool:

Mrs R wasn't so keen on her Bento box, especially when I sent her a pic of my T-bone steak :D She had a nice time and a catch up though :)

I had to write out step by step how I made the macaroni cheese, for the fella, under the title "Special Reserve Macaroni Cheese"... he was a happy man last night :D

I've had to put the recipe for Soj's macaroni cheese at the front of my recipe binder so that Mrs R can use it. It's slightly easier than my usual recipe in that you chuck everything together a lot earlier on and let it finish cooking in the oven.

:) I got a bit carried away with the toms and leeks tbh. Roast toms go fucking great with it. I've not made it for aaages now :hmm: Maybe a weekend jobby!

Toneet we're gonna be dining on baked spudz, cheez, and beanz :cool: (and encona sauce, cos it's the law with this lot)

I had to write out step by step how I made the macaroni cheese, for the fella, under the title "Special Reserve Macaroni Cheese"... he was a happy man last night :D

Tonight we've got freezer foraged keema with some flatbreads :)

Can we have the "Special Reserve Macaroni Cheese" recipe too?

Can we have the "Special Reserve Macaroni Cheese" recipe too?
It's pretty much the leith's recipe - but I didn't have double cream, so a couple dollops of creme fraiche, and I made the roux in the proportions I normally do 50g/50g/500ml, didn't have bread/breadcrumbs so topped with grated cheeses, and I used fusili not macaroni.

Yeah, they don't put their recipes on the interweb much, I'll try and remember it:

2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
Pinch of sugar
55g butter
350g macaroni
50g flour
1.5 pints of milk
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
250g cheese
55ml double cream
100g breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6 or whatever it is in electrics.
Melt 15g butter in a frying pan. Add the onions and the sugar and fry for 20 or 30 mins, until they caramelize, then set aside.
Boil the macaroni for 8 or 9 minutes.
Melt the rest of the butter, add the flour and cayenne pepper and cook on the lowest heat for 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the milk gradually, stirring/whisking as usual for a bechemel sauce.
Return to the heat, bring to boil and then immediately drop it to the lowest setting and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in 2/3 of the cheese and the season, then mix in the pasta.
Spoon 1/3 of the pasta mixture into a dish, then add a layer of caremelized onions and top with a little grated cheese. Repeat once, then add the rest of the pasta mixture on top.
Mix the bread crumbs with the rest of the cheese and sprinkle over the top.
Chuck it in the oven for about half an hour under the top is golden.
Stuff face.

Lol, I wrote a version of this out by hand, and finished it with eat then rub your belly :D

Back
Top Bottom