Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I did the roast chicken; it was FUCKING AWESOME. Ta for all the tips.

Stuffed it with garlic, mashed shallots, lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, oregano. Rubbed olive oil and salt in the skin, then put a bit of butter and mashed garlic under the skin. (Basted it in juices halfway through!) Served with honey and mustard roasted parsnips and carrots and roasted shallots, plus tenderstem broccoli and asparagus sauteed in stock, and yorkshire puddings. Gravy made of the juices all mixed in with bits of golden caramalized veg and cornflour and wine and stock.

Served with red wine and cheese for afters. I feel dead adult now. I have achieved adulthood.

The 'like an adult, I roasted a chicken' principle. I dunno-- it's hitherto been an activity I have associated-- like filling out a tax return, having a mortgage or learning to drive-- with actual grown ups.

I know. It was one of those things I thought I should do before I am 50. I probably won't do it again. :D

Not so good, moose? :D

I like takeaway pizza, tbf, but I never, ever buy it cos it always seems sooooo expensive to me :oops: :hmm:

I am still WELL ILL ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((me))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) but my son has a friend coming for a sleepover (my daughter's still off...but my son made a swift and miraculous recovery from his bout yesterday ;) :rolleyes: )....going to do them baked potatoes with cheese and frankfurters :D and some tomatoes on the side for health :oops: and they have another lot of fake Magnums for pudding.

I think I will finally have some breaded plaice with peas and broccoli.

I fancy loaded baked potato skins with cheese, bacon and chives. Maybe a bit of fish with it? Cod or haddock - could I wrap those in bacon to bake?
And some peas for vitamin points.

Moose: I've never had a take away pizza either - should I try before I'm 30?!

Sheo; the lasagne yesterday wasnt actually that good (I have a suspicion that it was a "weight watching" one. Not that it was so inedible that I didn't not even take a piece to bed with me or not... Um.....

Finally had our first ever pizza delivery. :hmm:
From?

And?

My cullen skink was a bit disappointing - underestimated how much fish I'd need, and overestimated the milk. Result - very thin soup. Was okay with chips, and having some today for lunch with toast, but it wasn't the nice thick gloopy fishy bowl of loveliness it should have been. I'm fucking out of touch with fish and meat cooking these days!

A mate gave me a few bags of shiitake mushrooms so am gonna make an oven-baked shiitake and thyme risotto tonight - nommmmmmmm. Slavered in parmesan at the end, obv

Sheo; the lasagne yesterday wasnt actually that good (I have a suspicion that it was a "weight watching" one. Not that it was so inedible that I didn't not even take a piece to bed with me or not... Um.....

Aw, it's rubbish when you're looking forwards to something so much! :(

Excellent work re eating seconds in bed mind you! :cool: :D :thumbs:

I reckon I've probably only ordered takeaway pizza about two or three times in my life :hmm: (and one of those was when friends were over who only ever order pizza for delivery, so that was the only option, iyswim)....I'd just always rather have a chinese/indian/anything else, especially for the money you pay out for it.

I fancy loaded baked potato skins with cheese, bacon and chives. Maybe a bit of fish with it? Cod or haddock - could I wrap those in bacon to bake?

Yup, that's nice. Alternatively you can poach the cod in lightly salted water and fry the bacon up on its own and drizzle over the fish. Thats how we do it back in the old country.

multigrain pringles with gefluegelsalat (diced up chicken with other stuff in mayonnaise)

flying salad? :confused:

edit - well, I never knew geflügel was poultry - thanks Greebo, I have improved my German vocabulary today :D
VP remembers it as "stuff with wings" :D FWIW it's only the anglicised copy of it from Lidl. Nice once in a while but not a patch on the real thing from most German supermarkets.

Fish fingers peas and chips. And lager. And some cava later. And then some more lager. And then probably some rum. I guess not all of that is technically tea.

some 'freezer to oven' chicken and wedges crap tonight :(

I'll make up for it over the weekend with a casserole and some indian finger foods

I'm going to make a seafood coconut curry tonight for myself and my son...with squid, king prawns, mussels and possibly a scallop or two....and have it with rice and a huge pile of veg...broccoli, sugar snaps and fine beans (or two out of the three anyway :hmm: ) to make up for the lack of regular veg over the last week. :cool:

Daughter, who doesn't do seafood, :mad: will have beans on toast. :rolleyes:

God that sounds good sheo. :cool: I'm going to cook up a vat of veg chilli to keep me going through the cold snap I think.

Back
Top Bottom