Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

It's baked potato day...:cool: though ringo is going for the rather unique abomination that is cheese, beans, mayo & chilli sauce.

mayo...:confused::eek:!!!

something with jacket potatoes...maybe roasted veg & cous cous?

Baked potatoes with couscous?!? :confused: WTF, you MANIAC? :mad:

ringo - Spanakopita would be LOVELY, but like foamy I have no feta or filo and I am ILL and so is the small girl so there will be no fetching and minimal effort too :D which is why I'm going to go for the gratin....will just make up some bechamel mix it all up and then put some breadcrumbs and some BRIE (which I DO have :cool: ) on the top.

It's baked potato day...:cool: though ringo is going for the rather unique abomination that is cheese, beans, mayo & chilli sauce.

mayo...:confused::eek:!!!

AngryMeme-150x150.jpg

Baked potatoes with couscous?!? :confused: WTF, you MANIAC? :mad:

why can't I write outside the box...:oops:...I often have baked potato, roast veg & cous cous...I reckon they go well together.

Now don't think I missed your jacket potato, chilli* and broccoli post. Think that was the worst broccoli combo yet!

*I think it was chilli

ETA: now I'm outside the box!!!

why can't I write outside the box...:oops:...I often have baked potato, roast veg & cous cous...I reckon they go well together.

Now don't think I missed your jacket potato, chilli* and broccoli post. Think that was the worst broccoli combo yet!

*I think it was chilli

ETA: now I'm outside the box!!!

It WAS chilli! :hmm: What of it?! :mad: *raises fists*

Sure you don't want some fuckin rice to go along with that potato and couscous? :facepalm: :rolleyes: :(

Nom - the quorn chicken stew was fucking immense - and my GOD I love dumplings :cool: Got some left over for lunch too - yes!

how do you make your dumplings? i make quorn stew all the time (doing a quorn/veggie stew tonight in fact) but have never thought of adding dumplings to it...

how do you make your dumplings? i make quorn stew all the time (doing a quorn/veggie stew tonight in fact) but have never thought of adding dumplings to it...
You can get Atora vegetarian suet now! I always used to make dumplings with Atora suet anyway but didn't even know about this stuff til I read about it in HFWs book. Turns out it's been going for years! :D

So yeh - 50g veg suet, 100g self raising flour, seasoning (and I like putting finely chopped chives in them too sometimes, rarrr), and about 5 tbsps water.

The veg suet actually makes fantastic dumplings. Beef suet was always hit and miss with me - either big fluffy dumplings or cannonballs. But both times I've used this stuff, they've turned out lovely and fluffy - they don't swell up as much as beef suet ones, but my lord they're good :cool:

Oh, don't forget to put them in a boiling stew, and keep up a soft rolling boil on them - perfect :cool:

I always put them on top of a slightly simmering stew and they swell up lovely. You need to make sure you have a tight fitting lid though. It took me a while to get it right. If I have the stew boiling too much lots of the veg turns to mush before the dumplings are ready

I always put them on top of a slightly simmering stew and they swell up lovely. You need to make sure you have a tight fitting lid though. It took me a while to get it right. If I have the stew boiling too much lots of the veg turns to mush before the dumplings are ready
Yeh, it's kind of on the brink between soft rolling boil and high simmer - and yes TIGHT FITTING LID!! And don't take the fucker off before the 20 minutes is up :D

You've just not got the veg timing right is all - cut em bigger

I've sorted it now, but it took me a few attempts. It's different depending on what pan I use too, or what sort of spud (which tend to be the biggest culprit) :)
Oh my god yes, spud failure! Been there, done that :D The absolute very best spuds are the red skinned ones. Waxy enough to hold the shape, and very forgiving of a long simmer and a final boil - still turn out to be nicely fluffy in the mouth :cool: I always cut them big too - there will always be some loss of spud round the edges, which is nice cos it all adds towards thickening it up (handful of red lentils great too). I've diced floury spuds in the past, only to see them completely disappear :D

I always use this massive stockpot that I got from TJ Hughes about, ooo, 7 years ago now, so the pan part of things is reliable. Does make me want to make massive amounts but this is a GOOD THING. Also, a massive pan full to the brim of goodness is just fucking heaven, man :cool:

Oh my god yes, spud failure! Been there, done that :D The absolute very best spuds are the red skinned ones. Waxy enough to hold the shape, and very forgiving of a long simmer and a final boil - still turn out to be nicely fluffy in the mouth :cool: I always cut them big too - there will always be some loss of spud round the edges, which is nice cos it all adds towards thickening it up (handful of red lentils great too). I've diced floury spuds in the past, only to see them completely disappear :D

I always use this massive stockpot that I got from TJ Hughes about, ooo, 7 years ago now, so the pan part of things is reliable. Does make me want to make massive amounts but this is a GOOD THING. Also, a massive pan full to the brim of goodness is just fucking heaven, man :cool:

The first time I made a curry with chunks of potato in it, I thought some bastard had been along and nicked all of them while it was simmering away. It's only whilst eating I noticed pitifully tiny chunks of potato that I realised what had happened :D

Making a cottage pie.

Although got tempted by & bought a pepperoni pizza in the local shop, as I have a cold and didn't feel like cooking, but I overcame the temptation and put the pizza in the freezer for another time.

I would just have the pizza if I had a cold...but supplement it with chips, plus tons of pickled chillis, encona sauce, capers etc

Pasta bake with tomato and chilli sauce (which I ought to have on the hob already, I'm supposed to be making a load to go in the freezer but I keep getting distracted) and mozzarella.

am quite excited about dinner tonight :oops: I made a veggie/lentil based kinda cottage pie, tastes delish. And it's topped with ginger sweet potato mash... mmmm. served with broc on the side! just gonna pop it in the over now!

P1040251.JPG
P1040260.JPG

Chicken with green peppers in black bean sauce, crispy chilli chicken, egg fried rice, duck/pancakes/plum sauce, satay chicken, sesame prawn toast. Went in on a whim on the way home from work and ordered enough to feed a family of four for a week. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom