Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

lol, google image search for mushroom ketchup and it shows a link to naked vegan cooking :D

but that's what you need soj, still not got round to trying it, but lots of veggies I know love it...

954990_H07_FD_hs.jpg

lol, google image search for mushroom ketchup and it shows a link to naked vegan cooking :D

but that's what you need soj, still not got round to trying it, but lots of veggies I know love it...

954990_H07_FD_hs.jpg

Brilliant - thanks for the mega-useful 'lots of veggies like it' bit mate :cool:

mushroom ketchup is a great condiment! way better than worcestershire sauce or soy sauce to stick in soypicker's pie.
some people swear by henderson's relish too

I don't want it to taste like meat. I want it to have some good flavour though. Greebo made reference to 'fake worcester sauce' on another thread - I'd like to find out what she meant by that, as it's that kind of flavour (plus the red wine and mushrooms) that I'm after.
Geo used to make a worcester sauce-alike, without anchovies (also without onion), but I haven't seen it on sale in the last year. Currently using a bottle of Lancashire sauce (which is suitable for vegetarians and onionfree) - it's spicy & vinegary and you still only need a few drops, but not as close to the real thing as the Geo one was. :(

The next nearest would be brown sauce (HP or whichever you prefer), but you'd end up needing to use more to get the same amount of flavour from it. Which reminds me, another thing to add to tomorrow's list...

Yeh, it was the actual FLAVOUR that I was getting at more than anything - I'm not thick - I do use veggie mince all the time :p

'random herbs' - :confused: makes all the difference to the taste which herbs you use. Thanks for the recipe though, am not being ungrateful, just thought you had a magic ingredient that might make all the difference to the taste :)

I use quite a lot of thyme, finely chopped celery (I often use celery as a herb) a veggie stock cube, and Hendersons Relish (which is bloody fantastic) in my veggie Shepherds Pie. I have always been a bit of a traditionalist about Shepherds Pie, and am very much of the view that if anything other than mince, onions, carrot, and potato start creeping in then it isn't Shepherds Pie - even when doing a veggie version I try to stick to that and wouldn't add tomatoes for example.

Thanks so much you lot - I fucking love this thread :cool: Have ordered the mushroom ketchup and will look out for the Hendersons Relish too. MMmm fucking COTTAGE pie man! It's a-comin!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as veggie suet til I read that HFW book. I thought I knew a fair ole bit about veggie cooking but it's stuff like that that can make all the difference. I was really sceptical about it til I tried making dumplings with it, and they turned out PERFECTLY :cool:

Yep - I was going to say mushroom ketchup (I use it loads) and Hendersons as the Worcester sauce replacement (what all my veggie/vegan friends use as standard).

I'd chuck in soy sauce and red wine and all sorts too, tbf :D and some ketchup for a cottage pie, too :cool:

Biddly - STILL no parcels! *cries* :(

:( that's rubbish, I was thinking about what was in it, it's really odd.

Could the postie have run out of those calling cards (or not left one) and then taken them to the delivery office anyway? :hmm:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as veggie suet til I read that HFW book. I thought I knew a fair ole bit about veggie cooking but it's stuff like that that can make all the difference. I was really sceptical about it til I tried making dumplings with it, and they turned out PERFECTLY :cool:

Atora vegetable suet has been around for ages. I'm sure my mum used to use it when I was a kid as it's slightly healthier than the beef one. I've definately been making dumplings with it from the early 90's :)

iirc, asda's ownbrand Worcestershire sauce is veggie too

:( that's rubbish, I was thinking about what was in it, it's really odd.

Could the postie have run out of those calling cards (or not left one) and then taken them to the delivery office anyway? :hmm:

Well then they all would've had to have arrived on the same day which is unlikely too! Fuck knows what's going on! :mad:

Was yours sent first/second class..or parcel?

I might try and find the number of the collections office place near me and call them directly and enquire - can't hurt!

purenarcotic - Yes! I use it in casseroles/stews etc all the time!

In other news - I have just applied to be a dinner lady :D at my son's school! :facepalm: :D

I did ask him first if he'd be embarrassed if I worked there and said I absolutely wouldn't do it if he would and that that wasn't a problem - and he said yes :p but that he didn't mind either :cool: and that it might be quite nice to see me there each day, too :cool: which made me feel quite proud of him (I would've DIED if it'd had been me/my mum, lol)! :D

You would make a fantastic dinner lady sheo :cool:

Not that unlikely if the others were dispatched on the same day I sent mine - I sent mine first class... worth checking I reckon, although not sure if the delivery/pick up offices have numbers or not :hmm:

Like I said, B - the others were due on the 16th and 18th respectively :facepalm: so not massively likely, iyswim? WTF, quite frankly!

The job was actually advertised on the 16th so I might well be too late :hmm: - and I wasn't intending to start working till end April/May...but it'd be ideal just cos it's term time only, is nearby AND it's working with food, so thought I better just go ahead and apply and see what happens.
And even if it's very far from being the sort of food I'd really like to be prepping/cooking/serving, I could pretty happily spend my days just peeling spuds or whatever :cool: as opposed to some of my other options so yeah - will be good if it's a goer! :cool:

I reckon it's worth setting up a redelivery for a day you know you're home even though you don't have a card (guess at Tues/Weds for delivery date), and then hopefully they'd bring any other packages that are there for you - our postie generally does :) http://www.royalmail.com/eredelivery

Yes - but a redelivery when they haven't tried to deliver anything AT ALL in the first place? :hmm:

I'm going swimming tomorrow and the delivery office is just up the road from the pool, so will call past and see if they can shed any light on it! :hmm:

oooh sheo - hope you get the job!

tonight we're having thai red curry with tofu. nice n simples. which is good cos I'm a bit hungover :facepalm: :oops: :D

Atora vegetable suet has been around for ages. I'm sure my mum used to use it when I was a kid as it's slightly healthier than the beef one. I've definately been making dumplings with it from the early 90's :)

iirc, asda's ownbrand Worcestershire sauce is veggie too
Well, fancy that!

Back
Top Bottom