Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Just had 2nd dinner (snacky bits ok :mad:) of seedy rolls, mini pork pies (1 with caramelised onion topping, 1 with fig and apple topping), chicken liver pate, ardennes pate, chilli stuffedolives, 'Jesus de l'ancienne' salami, and cambozola.* Epic win :cool:

*I may have accidentallied the entire deli counter in Clapham Junction Waitrose yesterday :oops: :D

I hope so - I am looking forward to trying to make the crispy seaweed most 'cos if it works it should be great!!
Crispy seaweed without the seaweed i take it ?:)
You could try real seaweed with cockles and bacon for your breakfast, dont know how easy it is to source real seaweed in certain areas, laverbread is not everyones cup of tea.
Since this is a 'teatime' thread you could have the above items i mentioned as a topping on a pizza.:cool:

I think a tenner is about average for a Sunday roast. Good to know :)

We couldn't get a table at The Cambria and ended up in the overpriced Florence. £13 each for the roast dinners is a far too steep. They were pretty good, and the Olde Trip was a lovely pint, but roast for two adults, fish fingers & chips for one toddler, two puds and four pints came to £53.

Tonight we shall be having Carbonara, once I've found that thread where the wrongs and rights were fought over the correct ingredients.

We couldn't get a table at The Cambria and ended up in the overpriced Florence. £13 each for the roast dinners is a far too steep. They were pretty good, and the Olde Trip was a lovely pint, but roast for two adults, fish fingers & chips for one toddler, two puds and four pints came to £53.

That is a bit rude.

I did a chicken, bacon and mushroom dish with a white sauce last night. Used up the last of the fresh thyme I had and it was lovely. So leftovers tonight.

Ooh that recipe looks great! Was it good? How was your seaweed? What kind of rice wine did you use for your beefy dish?
Itv was very tasty :cool:, the rice wine we used was the type below. I was tempted to taste it first but didn't! The crispy seaweed (well curly kale actually) was not bad, some of it was a little bitter but I think I overcooked the first lot. It also spat the fat everywhere when you chucked it in the wok to deep fry, which was both exciting and scary :oops::D

shaohsing.jpg

Itv was very tasty :cool:, the rice wine we used was the type below. I was tempted to taste it first but didn't! The crispy seaweed (well curly kale actually) was not bad, some of it was a little bitter but I think I overcooked the first lot. It also spat the fat everywhere when you chucked it in the wok to deep fry, which was both exciting and scary :oops::D

shaohsing.jpg

Aha, shaoxing! I actually poured almost a whole bottle of it down the drain yesterday cos I couldn't find any normal vinegar. I did taste some, it's very similar to balsamic!

no idea :( wanted to make something I hadn't made before but I'm so skint I can't afford to go to the shops, so it'll be whatever I can find in our cupboards

Got a friend of my daughter's over for dinner, so am going for a fail safe spaghetti with tomato sauce and cheese. Made the sauce yesterday, so it'll be nice and quick too. :cool:

Waffles with banana, maple syrup and ice cream for pudding.

That would have been a plan. Hubby has gone to get stuff for sandwiches now. Shall do stew tomorrow, any recipe suggestions? :)

Bog standard one for me is beef stock, red wine, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, tatties, thyme, rosemary and a bit of cornflour. And beef if I'm doing the meat version obvs! I like to chuck in some sweet potato about 30 mins before it's finished too.

Veggie shepherd's pie topped with cheesy mashed parsnips, getting crispy and golden in the oven right now. Cannot wait :).
That sounds great. I miss having cottage/shepherd's pie but haven't worked out yet a veggie way of doing them. Could you let me have your recipe for this please? Ta :)

Well, it'll either be baked spuds/cheese/beans, or veggie cheeseburgers, chups, and salad for tea tonight. Quite fancy the chups/burger thing though cos not had any chips for aaaaages now!

That sounds great. I miss having cottage/shepherd's pie but haven't worked out yet a veggie way of doing them. Could you let me have your recipe for this please? Ta :)

:)

It was based on this recipe, but I exchanged the lentils for quorn mince and parsnip for sweet potato:

I used:

- One pack of quorn mince
- Stock
- Tinned tomatoes
- Random herbs
- Carrots, courgettes, mushrooms, garlic
- Shitloads of parsnips for the mash, butter, milk
- Cheese

Fry garlic and oil in a pan (onion if that's your thing too, I really hate it.) Add quorn mince. Add chopped carrots, courgettes, mushrooms, can of chopped tomatoes, stock, red wine to the mince. You could use any veg here obvs. In a separate pot boil parsnips. When they're all done, mash the parsnips with butter and milk. Veggies and quorn go in a casserole dish when they're done, with a layer of mashed parsnip on top. Layer grated cheese on the parsnips. Bake in the oven until it's crispy.

I was gradually getting totally sozzled as I cooked this so didn't really pay attention to timings.

Yeh, it was the actual FLAVOUR that I was getting at more than anything - I'm not thick - I do use veggie mince all the time :p

'random herbs' - :confused: makes all the difference to the taste which herbs you use. Thanks for the recipe though, am not being ungrateful, just thought you had a magic ingredient that might make all the difference to the taste :)

I don't think you'll ever get veggie mince to taste exactly like actual meat. Much as though I like quorn, it's never going to be the same as the real thing.

My mum manages to make it quite convincing by adding quite a bit of red wine and plenty of mushrooms and cooking it out slowly. That seems to make it quite rich and meaty tasting.

I don't think you'll ever get veggie mince to taste exactly like actual meat. Much as though I like quorn, it's never going to be the same as the real thing.

My mum manages to make it quite convincing by adding quite a bit of red wine and plenty of mushrooms and cooking it out slowly. That seems to make it quite rich and meaty tasting.
I don't want it to taste like meat. I want it to have some good flavour though. Greebo made reference to 'fake worcester sauce' on another thread - I'd like to find out what she meant by that, as it's that kind of flavour (plus the red wine and mushrooms) that I'm after.

Yeh, it was the actual FLAVOUR that I was getting at more than anything - I'm not thick - I do use veggie mince all the time :p

'random herbs' - :confused: makes all the difference to the taste which herbs you use. Thanks for the recipe though, am not being ungrateful, just thought you had a magic ingredient that might make all the difference to the taste :)
HP and worcetershire sauce imo

edit: :facepalm: worcestershire isn't veggie is it? mushroom ketchup might work..

Back
Top Bottom