Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Yesterdays lentil and mushroom pie with mash, carrots, sprouts, cauli and peas.
It was surprisingly good cold before I heated it up, so I think that's tomorrows lunch sorted too :)

Badgers said:
Going for a dish of brown rice or couscous cooked with some tom yum paste, onion, spinach, green pepper and some peas.

Went with brown rice, chucked in mushrooms too. Some parsley, garlic, paremesan, chopped tomato and a little tuna.

All reducing down now in the pot.

We've got loads of beef left from the roast and I was going to do a stir fry or crispy chilli beef but work was brutal today and I'm knackered.

Cold beef and chippy chips it is then!

Mmmm, lentils, especially puy.
I made a huge vat of ragu in the slow cooker today and added equal amounts of minced beef and green lentils. Makes it healthier and cheaper and tastier.

I've been thinking about what to cook for a veggie friend when he comes to dinner in a couple of weeks and mrsfran's puy lentil lasagne would be perfect - thanks for the reminder :cool:

Ragu recipe plz?

Lentil and mushroom pie sounds lovely!
Do you have a recipe?

Not a recipe as such, I cooked some green and red split lentils with some veg bouilon and a couple of bay leaves. Fried some shallots, celery, mushrooms and a bit of garlic. Mixed it all together with loads of salt and pepper - it was moist enough to use like that, but you could add some stock and flour if it seems to dry.
The pastry was 4oz of plain white flour, 4 oz wholemeal plain, 2 oz butter and 2 oz of trex. Kneaded, rested then rolled. I blind baked it with some beans for about 10 mins, took the beans out, pricked the bottom and then baked again for another 10 mins. Then added the filling, the lid, brushed with egg and cooked until it was golden.

Ragu recipe plz?

Also not a recipe as such!
Minced beef, finely chopped celery, carrot & onion, loads of garlic, large glass of red wine, passata and lentils - green, brown or puy.
I usually add some herbs too, fresh or dried, yesterday I used dried oregano.
Chuck it in the slow cooker and cook gently for several hours.

Hoping to fit a chippy tea in between school/gym/Brownies runs and going back to work for 9pm to do a load of overtime. Got to do the same tomorrow night too, if I end up wasting some of my leftover roast lamb I'm going to claim double the o/t, the fuckers.

Last night we had haddock fish cakes with a cheesy leek filling, cheesy mash and green beans. It was so tasty could've eaten it twice :D

Tonight I'm going to make sausages. We have a big squash and a leek that needs using up so might make some kind of stew concoction perhaps with some kind of bean also.

Pie & chips & gravy for me. I had the urge to eat this last Thursday and tonight is the first night it can happen! It's only a Linda McCartney farmhouse pie and chips from the freezer but it's so rare (years!) that I eat these both together. I only discovered the joy of pie, chips & gravy at WOMAD festival when I found a place selling all veggie pies and homemade chips & gravy. I went 3 times that weekend...:cool:

We're having cauli cheese grills (they're the Tesco ones though and I prefer Sainsbo's :( ), oven chips and broccoli. BROCOLLI, moonsi! :cool:

Think there's some raspberry sorbet in the freezer downstairs....so that for pudding, if so. :hmm:

CHIPS!!! C'mon you know you all want them...:cool: (just not with broccoli* though...cos that would be wrong!!)

*poor Sheos children & guinea pigs..:(

Also not a recipe as such!
Minced beef, finely chopped celery, carrot & onion, loads of garlic, large glass of red wine, passata and lentils - green, brown or puy.
I usually add some herbs too, fresh or dried, yesterday I used dried oregano.
Chuck it in the slow cooker and cook gently for several hours.

Cheers, kinda what I thought it would be then.

Tight schedule tonight, so have taken out the Tuscan bean and tomato soup from the freezer. Warmed up in a minute, scoffed in less, then get changed, change the slap, and back off out again!

Back
Top Bottom