Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Heh - can't believe the amount of Yorkshire puds consumed by urbans yesterday :D

Going for a very quick tea tonight as I'm doing a rare night completely off the booze so need to be able to get in, have spliff, and eat pretty much straightaway in order to distract myself from booze :rolleyes:

So - reckon it's gonna be tinned sardines in tommy sauce on some good seeded bread, with a dash of encona sauce ont side cos it goes brilliantly with fish :cool:

it's another "don't look too closely at the ingredients" cake ;) and don't be put off that it is nigella...

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

Blimey, that's quite a list. I still want to make a really good chocolate cake before going into variants, so the very traditional Marguerite Patten's Swiss Chocolate Cake will be next.

She's a bit of a fraud. In How To Eat she describes the birthday cake I made as the one she always made for kids birthday, but in a complaetely different birthday cake recipe on her website she says:

"I always used to make an elaborate cake for my children's birthdays but they've since got much more demanding - the car from Grease, James Bond, that sort of thing - so I graciously pay up and allow Jane Asher to make one for me. Still, a very basic and heartlifting birthday cake is necessary in your repertoire: and this is beautiful and delicious and the one, incidentally, I make for adults who are less keen on sugarcraft."

Very basic potato and carrot curry tonight (and there will be enough for tomorrow and to put a couple of portions in the freezer for next week) - it's more of a bung-everthing-in-one-pot deal than the slightly more complex madras I made the other day which seemed to create an inordinate amount of washing up! (Mostly because it involved using the blender and I hate washing that up :hmm: )

after a weekend of decent home-made grub, nothing for me tonight, I feel like shite and need to stop eating everything in sight :(

You could always freeze some if you're getting sick of it.
Oh no I'll be perfectly happy to eat it every night. It's fucking delicious. I put a load of puy lentils in it this time as a bit of an experiment and they've given it this ace earthy flavour. I could eat this eternally. Which, considering the amount I've made, isn't a bad thing.

I always think puy lentils taste like sausages. :cool:
One of the reasons mrsfrans sausage and lentil casserole is so good. You tried them in chilli sheo? Surprised me how good they were. I usually go for this recipe (or a variant depending on what i've got in) but this time I didn't have any green lentils. Given that they call puy lentils green lentils in France i thought they'd make a good substitute. :hmm: That's logic right there. :hmm: Anyhow, it worked and I'll be doing it again.

I'm finally getting around to making some stuff from my new Korean cookbooks. Just now we had thin grilled pork cutlets with a gochujang-based sauce; a garlicky cucumber/perilla salad, sweet pickled daikon; spiced, steamed soy sprouts and nappa kimchi. Plain rice gimbap on the side. No dessert.

Oh no I'll be perfectly happy to eat it every night. It's fucking delicious. I put a load of puy lentils in it this time as a bit of an experiment and they've given it this ace earthy flavour. I could eat this eternally. Which, considering the amount I've made, isn't a bad thing.

Mmmm, lentils, especially puy.
I made a huge vat of ragu in the slow cooker today and added equal amounts of minced beef and green lentils. Makes it healthier and cheaper and tastier.

I've been thinking about what to cook for a veggie friend when he comes to dinner in a couple of weeks and mrsfran's puy lentil lasagne would be perfect - thanks for the reminder :cool:

Tonight we are having roast beef, yorkshire puddings, carrots, broccoli, green beans, sprouts, roast potatoes and roast parsnips. I can't bloody wait!

I could afford the meat (a rib roast) because I've saved money from not smoking this week. I'm quite pleased with myself. :)

Sounds wonderful (and well done with the not smoking). :)

Back
Top Bottom