Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Last night we got curry delivered, I had lamb jhalfrezi, tarka dal and pilau rice. The littlun has finally succumbed to the delights of dal :cool:

Tonight is grilled mackerel with mustard and onion sauce, new potatoes with chives and butter and carrots. Only one complete fish left in Sainsburys, so I bought two more packaged, filleted, de-tailed and beheaded at twice the cocking price. I shall use them to learn how to fillet the whole one, so they'll serve a good porpoise.

Just assisted the littlun in making a chocolate cake for Sunday's pudding, following Nigella's 'failsafe birthday cake' recipe. We shall see :D
Please do update with how the cake was. :)

The fish madras was a triumph - perfect thing to do with fish offcuts. Bloody fantastic, if I'm allowed to say that about my own cooking :D

And I have some leftover sauce to go in the freezer, so with the addition of a few bits of veg that's another cheap end-of-the-month meal sorted in advance :)

Chicken/creamed corn/potato soup with loads of cheddar after a long walk in the woods. :cool:

Creme caramels for pudding for the kids - wasabi peanuts and grapes for me.

M&S £10.00 deal - gammon and parsley sauce, parmetier potatoes and apple pie. Though we are having homemade ice cream and putting the pie in the freezer!

Please do update with how the cake was. :)

Hmmm. Not sure about failsafe - it cooked nicely, when I cut it in two the crumb looked good, but with no whisking there wasn't much air in it so it didn't rise that much. We've done the icing and will eat it in a couple of hours so I'll reserve judgement until then. We may move onto Patten for all future baking and avoid short cuts.

Lunch is roast leg of lamb studded with garlic, anchovies and rosemary with roast potatoes & parsnips, sugar snap peas, Yorkshire Puddings and gravy.

Chocolate ice cream to go with the choccy cake.

Roasted baby spuds with rosemary and garlic, country pie, steamed carrots, garden peas, yorkshire pudding, and roast veg gravy :cool: Then more hot choc fudge cake laden in blueberries and cream :cool:

Yorkshire puds, Steak and roasted onions for me and the man, chicken for baby bass. Cauliflower, broccoli, mash spuds. Lovely

Pea, coriander and chilli soup.
Chorizo and bean stew with corgettes and aubergines.
Polenta and walnut chocolate brownies with vanilla ice cream.

Braised steak and onions in a very rich gravy, served with roast carrots, parsnips & tatties & yourkshire puds.

I made a bucked size rice salad with tuna, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion and olives. I've been feeding on that since yesterday and will finish it off tonight.

Man I totally fucked up on the food front. I was supposed to move from one mate's to another's today, but I still haven't finished the boozes. So I will probably have fizzy chili but I don't know when

Back
Top Bottom