Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I've been living off spag bol for the last three days - finished now, thank fuck :D
Tonight I think I'm going to have giant scampi, oven chips and broccoli. And I should have a maple/pecan plait thingy coming with my shop for pudding. :cool:

Like hotpot? With a kind of yin-yang bowl of soupy stuff? It's yummy huh? But I can never think of how it's in any way different from Shabu Shabu really.

I've never actually had the Japanese version, but I think the differences would be the soup stock choices and the sheer number of cookable goodies the Chinese places offer. We were given the choice of any two of several 'soups' to cook our things in and unlike the other Chinese 'hotpot' places I'd been to (mostly in Vancouver), they didn't have you choosing your ingredients from a menu, but from a long cold-table buffet. Actually, what we wanted to do was go to a Korean grill-it-at-the-table place, but the one we'd been to before was packed, with a line-up outside in the cold. :(

Our dirty coffee creamed pasta bake was ok, except that I got distracted and over-cooked the pasta. ick.

Think I'll make pasties of some kind tonight, with mash if I can find some good potatoes. I wish the Chinese ate parsnips, I always miss them when winter comes.

I've set out some venison loin to thaw, but I haven't yet decided what I'm doing with it-- grillades, maybe. :shrug:

starter of carrot soup and homemade bread. Roast chicken, roast spuds, and a load of spinach with a soft boiled egg and chicken gravy on. And syrup sponge pudding with custard for afters. Probably at stupid o'clock, but still...

no. they suffice for what i intended to communicated.
i'm not sheo, you know
Really? Thought it was a bit OTT for you. Clearly if you're rolling your eyes at yourself you're also embarrassed. So no need to add :oops:

Baked potato, cream cheese, baked beans, grated cheddar, freshly ground black pepper.

Pudding will be 5 chocolates from my advent calendar as I've fallen behind.

Lasgane. Thank god for Dolmio, was far too tired to make my own bechemel.

Surprisingly tasted not bad for shop bought sauces, salty though, am now v thirsty.

Meal of the Gods :cool:

I had warm new potato salad, home made pickled beetroot, picallili and a left over snag :) And half a bar of green and blacks caramel for pud :oops:
Only half the bar? Your self-restraint is amazing. :cool:

LOL @ the name thing. :D

I ended up having to go to the abattoir this morning to pick up sausage casings for Saturday's freezer project, so I picked up a chunk of pork shoulder and made garlic venison sausage with it and the loin I'd thawed for dinner today. We had them with pan-fried potatoes, kale and a green salad. Bakery-bought triple chocolate cake for dessert. *urp*

I've never actually had the Japanese version, but I think the differences would be the soup stock choices and the sheer number of cookable goodies the Chinese places offer. We were given the choice of any two of several 'soups' to cook our things in and unlike the other Chinese 'hotpot' places I'd been to (mostly in Vancouver), they didn't have you choosing your ingredients from a menu, but from a long cold-table buffet. Actually, what we wanted to do was go to a Korean grill-it-at-the-table place, but the one we'd been to before was packed, with a line-up outside in the cold. :(

Yes, you're right! I think there are way more soupy flavour choices in hot pot, not that I know much about Shabu Shabu. :) There's a hotpot place near my house which has a conveyor belt like a sushi bar, but with hotpot ingredients going round, you're not wrong in saying that the ones where you have to choose off a menu aren't so good.

In Korea they have all-you-can-eat bbq places, with a long buffet of raw meat, it can get a bit much though, you know? :D

We didn't have pasties last night cos I'm a lazy wife, but we did have a very yummy spicy chickpea, salami and tomato stew with mash. Hopefully we'll have take-away this evening, cos I want to make some Stollen and my birthday cake tonight.

As a total aside, does anyone know what those peppers are which are long and fairly thin, but pepper sized, but are actually as spicy as chillies?

We had baked spuds with homemade coleslaw. Worryingly, I allowed Mrs R to convice me to go over to the dark side and have my cheese underneath my beans. And I quite liked it :eek:

Tonight will probably be penne all'arrabattia.

Back
Top Bottom