Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Yeah but making a sandwich with mushrooms, cheese and rocket takes about 7 mins including cooking time and only uses one pan. With me, cooking steak and mash takes 2 pans and time to make a sauce. Moar time, effort and washing up :D
also - moar deliciousness, for not too much more effort. the deliciousness to effort ratio is still higher with the mash option :)

Playing devil's avocado, I think I'd actually be tempted more by the sandwich option. As long as the bread was crisp - baguette or chewbacca/ciabatta perhaps, no soggy white chorleywood business - it adds another texture. Top the steak with a big roasted field mushroom in a giant jaw-ratcheting slab and it's an easy victory over mash for me. Even throw a bit of salad on it and feel vaguely virtuous, secure in the knowledge that there's less to wash up as well.

Mash is a little too workaday with steak for me. I want chips goddamit, or dauphinoise spuds painfully full of cream and butter. Save the mash when you've lashings of gravy, beans or sauce in my book.

ShiftyJunior has a tummy bus so while i feel like eating red meat and rich sauces, we're having fish, mash and cauliflower. Meh.
I did get myself a cream cake for dessert which I'll eat when he's in bed seen as it's unkind to torment people with sweet things they can't eat

It was going to be a nice stir fry with the leftover chicken from yersterday but my mum decided to make everyone pasties and I don't like them so I had noodles, hot dog sausages and beetroot chutney :(

Have a chicken roasting.
Smells lovely but wasn't home early from work so I'm a bit concerned it won't be ready til 10 :(

It's a biggun so hoping to have enough left overs for a stir fry or TomYum soup :)

Having it with salad and bread :)

I ended up making a coconut-y, curry-y laksa-like stew/soup with the chicken tits, smallish shrimps and greens served over udon noodles. No dessert, but had hot apple cider with calvados in it afterwards

I have a new 'shabby chic' dining table (bought cheap by me & then sanded & painted by my BF) so for the first time in a ages dinner will not be off my lap...:)

My daughter has a birthday party after school, so did a batch of leek and potato soup yesterday to heat up when we get back (if she isn't all full of cake and crisps by then, which she probably will be, tbf :hmm: ), garlic bread to go with it.
The last small slices of cheesecake for me and the boy, too.

Ok I have had a forage and taken a wild mushroom & pecorino flamme out of the freezer (£1.75 reduced from £3.39 in Waitrose tramps buffet). I have baking potatoes but think this would go nice with new potatoes so I might shuffle to the shops and get them & some fresh veg. There will also be wine & candles.

Ok I have had a forage and taken a wild mushroom & pecorino flamme out of the freezer (£1.75 reduced from £3.39 in Waitrose tramps buffet). I have baking potatoes but think this would go nice with new potatoes so I might shuffle to the shops and get them & some fresh veg. There will also be wine & candles.

Special occasion moonsi? or just celebrating the new table?

Spag bol tonight, with some of the massive batch of sauce I made at the weekend.

Just celebrating the new table ....I'm going to pop out my elephant candle holders I bought in Harare just before all the troubles started....gosh typing that has made me feel all emotional!

we're too lazy to eat at the table most of the time - and I got too fond of balancing my dinner on my big round pregnant belly and have slipped into bad habits!

Not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight; just had a huge online shop delivered but somehow the 6 packets of sausages I ordered never got added to the list so what ever we do have it wont involve sausages :D

About to sit down to nod towards the southern US: oven-grilled pork butt chops with sawmill gravy, fried grits, maque choux, mustard greens. Bread pudding with cinnamon sauce for dessert.

Got 2 massive joints of silverside in the reduced section in Morrisons tonight just as the butcher was putting them out on display. Just short a 1.8 kl for £8. So seen as I'm totally on my arse and it's a long from what will be the first pay day in 5 months I think we might be on beef curry for a while :D
I miss the big cooker but i do love the big freezer i've acquired.
IMAG0676.jpg

Gonna do a run of beef bourguignon with the other joint.

Back
Top Bottom