Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I never have cauli cheese but I reckon I'd mix them.

dinner tonight is either more of this superb ragu that Chemistry makes or chicken wings and lots of heat and dip and celery.

M&S £10.00 deal - Beef and Ale Pie, cheesy mashed spuds, added some cabbage and peas as side dishes then key lime pie for dessert. Plus a bottle of checky red wine :cool:

M&S deals rule. I had one last night. Salmon in ginger, soy and chilli, roast potatoes in garlic butter and parsley (YUM), also added some of my own veg, then chocolate cheesecake for desert and a nice bottle of wine that was so strong I nearly passed out

I wouldn't have gravy and cauliflower cheese. But when I have cauli cheese it's usually the main part of the dish, the cheese sauce is sufficient for the rest of the veg

Tonight will be the remains of a caramalised onion, roast beetroot and goats cheese tart I made yesterday... unless it doesn't make it past lunch :)

Not something I make myself, but quite a lot of pub bought roast dinners come with cauli cheese and I always enjoy it. Obviously - it's got cheese in it.

I wouldn't have gravy and cauliflower cheese. But when I have cauli cheese it's usually the main part of the dish, the cheese sauce is sufficient for the rest of the veg

Tonight will be the remains of a caramalised onion, roast beetroot and goats cheese tart I made yesterday... unless it doesn't make it past lunch :)

This is the right answer.
IMO the cheese sauce takes the place of the gravy by adding moistness to the dish.

I was thinking of doing cauliflower cheese tonight as it goes, but not sure I can be arsed making the sauce :D

Mashed spuds, cauli (maybe with cheese sauce), shedloads of mushy peas, sausages, and gravy for tea, and gonna try and find an apple and blackberry pie/crumble, and have that with custard for after. Fucking NOM

Lovely, but if you'd burnt the mustard crust which would you reduce, the browning or the roasting? I'm guessing 5 mins less in the oven.

The time seems right for chops that thick. I'd be tempted to drop the oven temp 50 degrees and add a couple of minutes to the baking time.

The time seems right for chops that thick. I'd be tempted to drop the oven temp 50 degrees and add a couple of minutes to the baking time.

Cheers, sounds like a good plan. Would it have made a difference that I only had one chop in there? I'll follow your suggestion next time and keep an eye on them, 'cos it was pretty good but properly caremelised instead of burnt it would have great.

Cauli cheese & gravy? Use a sausage as a breakwater!

Last night I cooked a proper meal from scratch for the first time in 3 weeks: toad in the hole with red onions, steamed carrots and sweetcorn.

Tonight is chicken korma with a jar of pataks sauce (which I hope is nicer than the passanda one we had last week) if I'm feeling adventurous I'll do some proper pilau with it but it'll most likely be plain basmati rice.

when faced with a "sandwich or mash" conundrum I think I'd always go for mash. NOM.

Yeah but making a sandwich with mushrooms, cheese and rocket takes about 7 mins including cooking time and only uses one pan. With me, cooking steak and mash takes 2 pans and time to make a sauce. Moar time, effort and washing up :D

Options....

Macaroni cheese
Jacket potatoes with cheese and beans

Beans on top? Dunno what's for dinner tonight, cooked a turkey roast last night, can't be bothered with anything complicated tonight. Will probably be a late one at work, so something simple and tasty.

Cheers, sounds like a good plan. Would it have made a difference that I only had one chop in there? I'll follow your suggestion next time and keep an eye on them, 'cos it was pretty good but properly caremelised instead of burnt it would have great.

One chop or a dozen shouldn't make too much difference. But as I said, I think your 'problem' had more to do with temperature than anything else.

Not sure what we're having this dinnertime. I set a couple of chicken breasts out to defrost last night, so something quick and easy using them. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom