Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Another portion of the chicken i was meant to have yesterday, had my bloody cat not got there before me.
So that, with rice and a load of veg. And a LARGE and very necessary glass of wine.
Looking forward to my M&S dine in for 2 tomorow.....except i already ate both the deserts last night :oops::( so will have to replace those before my dad comes tomorow :D

We picked up our steer's beef this morning, so I did up one of the short rib roasts (my favorite cut of beef, bar none). We had it with baked potatoes and all the trimmings and creamed swiss chard. No dessert, just the rest of the bottle of Chilean red plonk that accompanied the meal.

Burger for dinner. One bun, two burgers, three slices of cheese.

I'm on a heart attack mission today. McDonalds breakfast, 1 million doughnuts, wine, beer. Oh and coleslaw. Not even premenstrual. :hmm:

Defrosting a pork chop I found in the freezer. Was going to grill it with new poatatoes and broccoli, but have got excited about Thai food today so am already bored of the idea.

Quick dinner tonight as we are doing eBay listings all day/evening.

Sainsbury £5 pizza deal, pizza, garlic bread and salad. We probably won't eat all the pizza so I'll take the rest to work for lunch.

I really want a roast so might do an easy one in the week after payday.

'Green vegetable' quiche and lots of salad. With mince pies and custard for afters (or before, pudding before main is always fun)

Four people for dinner later. They all like hot and spicy and Chinese, so: Hunan-style beef shin and deep-fried tofu hotpot, steamed whole red snapper, a mixed vegetable stirfry, and mustard greens with straw mushrooms in oyster sauce, rice. Dessert will be whatever they bring. :)

Defrosting a pork chop I found in the freezer. Was going to grill it with new poatatoes and broccoli, but have got excited about Thai food today so am already bored of the idea.

Found a recipe for mustard crusted pork chops, looking and smelling good.

Ingredients:

4 pork chops, 1-inch thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Season pork chops lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine mustard, sugar, mustard powder, rosemary, and garlic; mix well. Smear evenly over chops.

3. Heat oil in a large, heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add prepared chops and brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer skillet to oven and cook 20 to 25 minutes, until no longer pink and cooked through. Serve warm.

Lovely, but if you'd burnt the mustard crust which would you reduce, the browning or the roasting? I'm guessing 5 mins less in the oven.

chop.jpg

M&S £10.00 deal - Beef and Ale Pie, cheesy mashed spuds, added some cabbage and peas as side dishes then key lime pie for dessert. Plus a bottle of checky red wine :cool:

Last night was roast gammon, roast potatoes, cauli cheese and veg.

With no gravy - because cauli cheese and gravy on the same plate is just wrong :mad:
This is my opinion, but BoatieBloke said he would find it acceptable - where does the tea thread stand on cauli cheese and gravy?

Last night was chucklehead cider sausages (lush :oops:), mash and greens.

We had so much mash and greens left over that tonight will be cold meat, pickles and bubble :cool:

A kind of potato and squash curry. Hopefully if it's horrid then a liberal application of fresh coriander will help.

I really hope it's yummy though.

You using that David Thompson book then Ringo? A good read, albeit not always the thing to cook a practical weekday meal from

Today and I might get around to the roast chicken dinner that I was too lazy/poorly to cook yesterday. I actually got dizzy from this sodding never ending cold, so congested that my balance was off - the amusement of staggering around like a drunkard wore off quite quickly mind, particularly after a dramatic technicolour upchuck. Feel mildly better today, but will take it easy.

I've been living on bits and pieces from a chinese takeaway plus lots of crisps...so never got round to doing the turkey meatballs on Friday, so I'm doing them today but swedish meatball style with a sauce with oven chips and steam/fried shredded sprouts to go with them (and I've also just made a leek and potato soup for tomorrow).

You using that David Thompson book then Ringo? A good read, albeit not always the thing to cook a practical weekday meal from

Yes, I forget the name of the one I'm doing, it uses pork belly and ribs. I struggled to find ribs in Brixton yesterday, most the butchers are halal, but I have rashers of pork belly and loin steaks I found in M&S, so that should do nicely. Monstrous list of ingredients, I'm just going to do the best I can, like using ginger but not also having pickled ginger. Got some fragrant Thai rice too.

Dombey & Sons (or whatever they're called) in the market usually do decent ribs fwiw, although that's not much use on a Sunday.

Good luck anyhow. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many recipes I've actually followed from that book to be fair - I usually get waylaid at the oriental supermarket and end up cooking something similar, but easier
:facepalm:

Yes, I remembered there was one everyone checked, but it was shut yesterday. Not been to the markets on a Sunday for ages, can't believe hoe many trendy caffs there are now. I'm slowly building my Thai/Chinese ingredients cupboard so that I can cover most things. Good challenge, lots of stuff I've never cooked or even eaten, but given our penchant for Thai food I'd like to get much better at it. My new wok will help :)

Last night was roast gammon, roast potatoes, cauli cheese and veg.

With no gravy - because cauli cheese and gravy on the same plate is just wrong :mad:
This is my opinion, but BoatieBloke said he would find it acceptable - where does the tea thread stand on cauli cheese and gravy?

On the same plate, taste of the two mixed may be a bit weird. But served in a separate bowl, why not :)

Back
Top Bottom