Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Burgers and beer battered chips. The burgers tho' I can't wait for, after shaping them I cut them in half with a bread knife then put a circle of mozarella cheese in them and sealed them back :)

Ooh... stringy, melty cheese, yum!

I ended up roasting celeriac, swede and carrots for my tea tomorrow, and we had the chicken with brown rice and peas (fingers crossed tum handles it) and made up red cabbage coleslaw.

This high protein diet is proving to be bollocks for me, so I'm bringing back in oats and a few carbs :)

Yep i'd say fennel is aniseedy and I don't like it. Celeriac has a hint of celery, no anise to me :D

But people taste things differently don't they? I know someone who doesn't think the main flavour in a pasty is swede... to me that's what comes through the most.

On Tuesday night Pip came and cooked. I didn't mention it before because i wanted the recipe, and here it is.

Pip said:
Kosheri aka kushari, koshery, qushari, etc etc. It's Egyptian, popular with Coptic Christians because of the meatlessness (Fridays, Lent). There are lots if variations and different recipes, but this is how I do it:

Boil green lentils and put aside (or use ready cooked)

Fry garlic and a few teaspoons of ground cumin in oil, add passata or a tin of chopped tomatoes, vinegar and a little bit of sugar. Simmer until it's somewhat reduced and glossy. Add chopped coriander. This is the tomato sauce, you can turn it off and ignore it until you're ready.

Fry onions (I usually use four but I doubled the recipe last night) until they're crispy and put aside.

Put basmati rice in a bowl of cold water, wash and drain (believe me, I've tried to omit this part but unfortunately it's necessary)

Melt butter and fry dried vermicelli, broken into pieces, until it's brown. Add the drained rice (I used 300g last night), coat it in the butter, and add hot water (800ml last night) and a stock cube, few teaspoons of cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper (I would have added extra salt if I was cooking it for myself). Boil then simmer for about 12 minutes. You do the absorption method. When it's cooked, add a few knobs of butter, lentils, about half the onions and mix it all up. To serve, put the tomato sauce on top, and some more crispy onions on top of that.

When I've had it at people's houses or in Egyptian cafes, it's always had macaroni rather than vermicelli, so I think that's more ~authentic~, but I prefer vermicelli. More authentic is also to use about 4x as much butter as I did.

It's especially nice as leftovers because if you assemble the layers in a bowl and heat it up in the oven it kind of bakes even more
It was really delicious.

You won't regret it. I think she missed out whatever it was that made it spicy though, there was a definite heat to it although I ate it cold (I got in quite late well after the blokes had eaten).

Beef ribs braised in dark ale, quartered brussels sprouts with sliced almonds, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, green salad. Store-bought Boston cream pie for dessert.

Friends coming to stay who have been abroad for a year so I want to cook them something English. Favourite so far is toad in the whole with Cumberland sausages, mash, peas and gravy.

Beef ribs braised in dark ale, quartered brussels sprouts with sliced almonds, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, green salad. Store-bought Boston cream pie for dessert.

YUM, YUM, YUM, YUM, YUUUMMMMM!!!! *drool* :cool:

(I don't know what a Boston cream pie is, tbf - but I bet I'd fuckin like it! :D )

Just Googled....chocolate/cake/cream...YEP, that'll do! :D

Gave the kids a choice between a chicken and broccoli stir fry with rice or another wrap - and they went for wraps - so the small girl'll have another crispy pork one and for myself and the boy, garlic and ginger king prawn wraps.
Creme caramel/raspberries/single cream for pudding.

Back
Top Bottom