Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I really fancy cauliflower cheese with my roast dinner, but I don't have any milk (we rarely use it even in tea, so I only get it in when I plan to make Yorkshires or pancakes, neither of which I was planning tonight)

I do almost always have double cream in the fridge though, might give it a go with that. It's only going to be a small portion for 1, I'll see how I feel about it when I start cooking!

I really fancy cauliflower cheese with my roast dinner, but I don't have any milk (we rarely use it even in tea, so I only get it in when I plan to make Yorkshires or pancakes, neither of which I was planning tonight)

I do almost always have double cream in the fridge though, might give it a go with that. It's only going to be a small portion for 1, I'll see how I feel about it when I start cooking!

Melt some cheese on top? Maybe?

Melt some cheese on top? Maybe?

Yeah I was thinking along those lines, almost more like I would do a dauphinoise with cream, rather than making a roux based sauce with milk and cheese.

I've got little casserole dish things which are perfect for cooking an individual serving (it really will be just for me for 1 night, OH hates cauliflower so I take the opportunity to have it when I am cooking just for myself, and I want the rest of the cauli for making aloo gobi for me when we have curry night tomorrow!)

I think it's going to be difficult to make a roux for such a small quantity anyway but I think cream with some cheese melted in it and more cheese on top will work - if it needs thickening a bit, it will be easier to do with a little cornflour for such a small quantity of sauce.

We’re on holiday in Sussex so been having our main meals at lunchtime.
Pizza in Brighton on Friday, a really nice steak and chips in Peacehaven yesterday and a gorgeous lamb roast today near Tonbridge Wells today.
Dinners have been snack stuff including lots of baked goods from the Lewes farmers market.

Decided in the end that cauliflower cheese was just going to be a bit more effort than I fancied making, so had it steamed.

Next time I do a roast type meal for both myself and OH I will do it properly including buying some milk, and do a big dish with cauli at one end for me and broc at the other end for him and with beautiful beautiful proper cheese sauce all over it. :)

Back
Top Bottom