Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

More bloody basa, this time with a Caribbean twist with a sweet potato mash as prescribed by Gousto

I don’t have a potato masher so considering baking them instead, if I use them at all as avoiding carbs where possible.
This was actually really nice, with panko breadcrumbs, lime zest and some spice. Baked sweet potato was far nicer than mash but I suppose the recipe is designed so the potatoes boil and you mash them etc while the fish is baking. With a tomato salsa I was a bit dubious about but offset the fish nicely.

Best of the three recipes so far and I would probably make it again.

Going to be a late tea, but I have finally got a bolognese sauce on the go - still needs to simmer for a while! Not sure what pasta I'll have with it yet, of the long pastas we have spaghetti, taglietelle, and linguine.

Last edited:
I’ve found them ok, but no more than that.

The actual ordering process is simple, you can see what is in each recipe before you order. Some ingredients attract a premium (king prawn / steak etc). Seemed to be a lot of pasta and curry dishes which I don’t tend to cook at home and I deliberately picked low carb healthy dishes which reduced my options.

The delivery process was fine. One really good thing was being emailed the day before with the use by dates for each recipe which allowed me to plan. On arrival there was a huge amount of packaging to contend with, ice packs etc and being honest the amount of packaging e.g. a tiny sachet of cayenne pepper made me groan.

I ended up tweaking 3 of the recipes slightly as I wanted to reduce the washing up (I have issues standing). They were easy to follow and quite cleverly designed so you do everything at the right time - I am hopeless at doing this normally.

I think it would be quite good if going on a self catering holiday, as all you need is salt, pepper and oil, everything else is provided.

I reckon I will use two of the recipes again. Will I use Gousto again - perhaps on another deal. But not at full price.

Using Gousto had an impact on my online supermarket shop this fortnight as I’ve struggled to hit the £40 minimum delivery order. It doesn’t make as much sense for me but then I’m only cooking for one, and I’m not time sensitive.

For a family however I reckon it could be different. I reckon my Mum would have loved something like this when she was cooking for us as a kid. A quick and different dinner a few times a week.

Friday night we had this

Which was absolutely delicious, will definitely make it again.

Last night I had the cold leftovers :thumbs:

I've just stuck a gammon joint in the slow cooker for tonight. We'll have it with roast potatoes, steamed veg and cauliflower cheese if I be bothered to make a cheese sauce.

Last edited:
Doing a roast dinner for the first time in ages. Chicken, spuds, stuffing (from a packet), yorkshires (from the freezer), broccoli, cabbage, carrots, gravy (probably instant because I drank all the white wine yesterday and CBA to make anything proper).

My son was going to make an apple pie but not sure if that will happen :hmm: If not,I might make jam sponge and custard or similar.

Back
Top Bottom