Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

This week I will mostly be eating ...
All for £30
I could knock £5 and a lot of calories off by dropping the pine nuts ...

View attachment 236129
also if you could bring yourself to buy waitrose own brand tomatoes (or m&s for that matter) you'd save yourself some money too. i don't know how many grams of pine nuts you have there but the going rate at sainsburys is something like £3.50 for a hundred grams.

also if you could bring yourself to buy waitrose own brand tomatoes (or m&s for that matter) you'd save yourself some money too. i don't know how many grams of pine nuts you have there but the going rate at sainsburys is something like £3.50 for a hundred grams.
The cheap tomatoes usually have citric acid added - I recently tried some Aldi ones .. another reason for going for Napolina is I don't have to carry them so far... (I have a Tesco on the corner where I also go for one or two other things)
Aldi's pine nuts are 1.29 for 60g (so £2.15 for 100g) (they hide them in with 10 times as many bags of pumpkin seeds) - and I quite often have 3 packets a week.
I quite often chuck in a can of soup too at some point and I find most soups cloying - even in a stew - so tend to make special trips to the CooP for a particular soup that Tesco annoyingly dropped...

Last edited:
Chicken. One of those ready to roast joints from Marks without pesky bones.
also if you could bring yourself to buy waitrose own brand tomatoes (or m&s for that matter) you'd save yourself some money too
M & S are surprisingly good value for basic stuff like tinned toms, and they're nice too. Only problem is that I leave with loads of more expensive stuff. :hmm:

M & S tinned toms have citric acid too gentlegreen - I think most types do.

I think I was put off by Tesco's own brand pineapple slices and I'm fairly sure the value tomatoes were a bit caustic too ...
I use loads of tinned tomatoes and definitely agree they can sometimes be way too acidic. Sainsbury's SoOrganic are the best ones I've found of the supermarket brands and they're only 80p. Also I think generally the whole ones taste better than the chopped and it's only a little bit of a ballache to break them up yourself.

Back
Top Bottom