Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I attempting to cook Vindaloo tonight. Not curry house style, but more like the traditional Goa/Portuguese fusion dish. You marinade the meat in vinegar and spices and it's got tamarind in as well. Will certainly taste different to my normal curries. Heat from some scotch bonnets, which definitely isn't traditional, but they need using.

Had to look up what tsebhi birsen is, sounds excellent. And I just bought some berbere spice mix so I'll definitely give it a go.
There are about a 100 different variations on it Little Piranha . I tried a few of them and honed it to this:

• 250g red lentils
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 dsp tomato puree
  • 3 or 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 onion
  • 4 tsp berbere spice mix (Seasoned Pioneers do a fantastic one)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 6 cardamon pods
  • Pinch salt
  • Boiling water
Fry onion gently until very soft in plenty of oil.
Add garlic for one minute.
Add berbere spice mix and keep stirring for 4 mins.
Add cumin, cardamon, ginger and stir for 1 more minute.
Add tin toms amd tom puree and stir for another minute.
Add half tsp of salt.
Add lentils and mix thoroughly until every lentil coated.
Pour in enough boiling water to cover mixture (and a little bit more so it’s not dry).
Bring to boil, and simmer for 30 mins, stirring every 10 mins.
Serve with basmati rice and a good dollop of sour cream on the side.

It's quite a hot dish, so make sure you get some sour cream!

Last night I broke the law and had a friend round for dinner. She's in a front line role, but we'd both been self isolating for the previous seven days so we could actually spend some time together. I did a roast garlic, pumpkin and mushroom risotto washed down with a couple of bottles of bucky. I could have cried, she was the first person I've held in over eight months.

Hopefully she's back later for round two before she goes back in the trenches, I think I'll do tempeh in satay sauce, beansprouts and noodles and a woodear, garlic and chilli side. And some big mugs of mushroom tea and industrial quantities of mandy for pudding

Back
Top Bottom