Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I got some broad beans in their pods off the reduced to clear shelf on Thursday, I am currently de-podding them to be blanched and skinned (the outer pods are in the just too big and tough to be nice to eat range). We also have some leftover mushrooms that need using.

So I am planning on making a broad bean, mushroom and prawn risotto.

Tonight we had bbq tuna steak sandwiches. We were in the supermarket early this afternoon and they had two approx quarter pound sized tuna steaks for only 1,50€. It was too good a bargain to miss.

I didn't eat at home for two days and the courgettes had ballooned into monsters when I looked today so experimental courgette lasagne.

Instead of making a tomato sauce, I put slices of courgette between the layers, quartered baby plum tomatoes, garlic, basil, plus some sundried tomatoes in oil, some of the oil, and a squeeze of sundried tomato paste.

It was very nice and I approve of the energy savingness of not cooking three times for one dish.

So that's one courgette dealt with...

I didn't eat at home for two days and the courgettes had ballooned into monsters when I looked today so experimental courgette lasagne.

Instead of making a tomato sauce, I put slices of courgette between the layers, quartered baby plum tomatoes, garlic, basil, plus some sundried tomatoes in oil, some of the oil, and a squeeze of sundried tomato paste.

It was very nice and I approve of the energy savingness of not cooking three times for one dish.

So that's one courgette dealt with...

Along similar lines, you could probably do a lovely veggie moussaka type thing, switch out the usual aubergine slices for courgette and just make the thing up like you would a regular veggie moussaka - sliced potatoes, tomatoes, onions etc (I am not a massive fan of aubergine and have done it with courgette instead, very nice).

Along similar lines, you could probably do a lovely veggie moussaka type thing, switch out the usual aubergine slices for courgette and just make the thing up like you would a regular veggie moussaka - sliced potatoes, tomatoes, onions etc (I am not a massive fan of aubergine and have done it with courgette instead, very nice).
That's a good idea in theory except that I'm also intolerant to eggs and if you take out the aubergine, meat and egg from a moussaka I'm not sure what's left. I've never made a veggie one because I don't get on with aubergines either.

If I had a surfeit of courgettes, I’d braise them with fresh tomatoes and garlic - that’s all you really need to do to make a delicious dish that I eat as a side dish but would be happy to eat it for ever as a main cos it’s so delicious. I can fish out the recipe if you want but it really is just as described

If I had a surfeit of courgettes, I’d braise them with fresh tomatoes and garlic - that’s all you really need to do to make a delicious dish that I eat as a side dish but would be happy to eat it for ever as a main cos it’s so delicious. I can fish out the recipe if you want but it really is just as described
I've been eating that every other day with pasta. It's very nice.

My broad bean/mushroom/prawn risotto turned out really well, very happy with it. I ended up with more broad beans than I needed (you only need a handful in a risotto tbh) so I put half in the freezer, I will use them either next time I do a risotto, or use them next time I do tapas/meze type small dishes :)

Beef chilli, rice and salad tonight.
Made a massive pot of the stuff and so I've made 3 separate dinners for the freezer. This should help with hanger/lack of inspiration issues that happen fairly often. :D
I think I'm going to have this tonight, but without the salad. Thanks for the inspiration

We stopped at the chippy on the way back from a late dog walk. I had chips and a buttered roll and the chips were a bit cold and soggy but alright. I stupidly ate them in a white top and I now have a big splodge of ketchup right in the middle. 😄

Back
Top Bottom