Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Best so far though is this Truffle Hunter Black Truffle Hot Sauce:
400x600Hotsauce_800x.jpg
Lush but use sparingly, not for the heat but for the truffle flavour - it's banging in scrambled eggs on toast but i keep having dabs of it from the bottle
all of these are from this listicle:
Wish I still lived in that Lundun as I could only get about half of them

On the scale of 1 to weird these are, interesting.

The flavour is not the fart in the bag you might expect and it's not easily describable. Bit of powdered spring onion, quite sweet as well but also terribly savoury. So yeah, not easy.

But the texture is something else. Either I've got a stale bag, which I don't think I have, or the texture is like they've been left out in the rain, soaked through then put in the oven to crisp again and the outside has formed a thick coating and it's still soggy in the middle.

Orang Utan where are you getting your oriental delights from? I have a list of sites and have ordered from a couple of them when I can't get the bits I want from my place here in Derby. I tend to swerve the Japan Centre unless desperate cos they're super expensive.

Attachments

• 20210326_174853.jpg
    20210326_174853.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 9
Just off Amazon, Mogden
Ah well I'm going to drop a couple of links here to tickle your tastebuds, and wallet, and other seekers of interesting cuisines. I find Amazon are useful but still a bit more expensive than oriental supermarkets. Of course this means you can justify buying more, 4 packets of mochi in my last delivery (!), to make the postage worthwhile.

Wai Yee Hong Chinese Supermarket! 偉義行:中國超市 - Used them about this time last year. Understandably they were a little slow but a good range.
Oriental Grocery Store - Asian Supermarket Online | Oriental Mart - One of my favs in Nottingham. Can't wait to get back over there. They have a super snack range I think and extra premier noodle meal things, ie £4 or 5 for one.

And I've just Googled and you seem to have a good choice of places in Leeds. This one sets my good spidey sense off.

Mogden Fwiw my absolute favourite East Asian place for delivery is www.starrymart.co.uk - I've fallen out with a couple (I think maybe including that one in Notts :oops: ) but this one is consistently good :)
I have Starry Mart on my list of one I visit but haven't bought from. Their navigation pisses me off and I have to go elsewhere :D There's lots of others too but I've only ordered from those 2 as mine is pretty local, tiny but fairly well stocked.

I've just remembered I've got a bottle of Calpis in the fridge I need to try!

On the scale of 1 to weird these are, interesting.

The flavour is not the fart in the bag you might expect and it's not easily describable. Bit of powdered spring onion, quite sweet as well but also terribly savoury. So yeah, not easy.

But the texture is something else. Either I've got a stale bag, which I don't think I have, or the texture is like they've been left out in the rain, soaked through then put in the oven to crisp again and the outside has formed a thick coating and it's still soggy in the middle.

Orang Utan where are you getting your oriental delights from? I have a list of sites and have ordered from a couple of them when I can't get the bits I want from my place here in Derby. I tend to swerve the Japan Centre unless desperate cos they're super expensive.
They look interesting but what are they exactly? They don't look like crisps - more pastry like in appearance.

They look interesting but what are they exactly? They don't look like crisps - more pastry like in appearance.
They are potato crisps but thickly so. Not in depth but flavour. Just eaten that one. It's a sort of egg fried rice flavour but not quite.

Calpis is lovely. I can even get past the sweeteners and the comedy name, say Cow-piss :D

Attachments

• 20210326_183127.jpg
    20210326_183127.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 3
This was excellent. We will make it again, if we can get the mix, or I'll have to make it from scratch.

It's easy enough to make from scratch - if you can make a roux for white sauce or other classics then you can make a roux for this - it isn't massively more complicated.

It's easy enough to make from scratch - if you can make a roux for white sauce or other classics then you can make a roux for this - it isn't massively more complicated.
That's what I've learned from reading different recipes. The more I read the less I think there's any advantage to getting the mix.

That's what I've learned from reading different recipes. The more I read the less I think there's any advantage to getting the mix.

Honestly when you posted the photo I did (unusually for me LOL) bite my tongue to not make a joke about modern American recipe sites that always seem to involve recipes using pre-prepared mixes/cans of soup/cans of pie filling etc etc.

The trickiest bit is getting the roux to the correct colour without burning the flour as it is a bit different than the classic French roux, but it's more a case of patience and paying close attention to it rather than difficulty. Have a defibrillator on standby, it is not a healthy dish :D

EDIT: See I am actually looking for recipes now, and a lot of them say "1 tablespoon creole or cajun seasoning" which is not necessarily that helpful if you're wanting to make from scratch. I seem to recall white pepper is involved, if I find a recipe that gives a full ingredients list including all the spices rather than a mix, I'll post the link

Honestly when you posted the photo I did (unusually for me LOL) bite my tongue to not make a joke about modern American recipe sites that always seem to involve recipes using pre-prepared mixes/cans of soup/cans of pie filling etc etc.

The trickiest bit is getting the roux to the correct colour without burning the flour as it is a bit different than the classic French roux, but it's more a case of patience and paying close attention to it rather than difficulty. Have a defibrillator on standby, it is not a healthy dish :D
I've been cooking and loving cooking for the vast majority of my life, so a basic roux will not be a problem. I had assumed, from how this was described to me, that there was something complicated about it. But really it isn't. In that regard I'm a bit disappointed, but it was so tasty.

And you are so right about American recipes. Nearly every single one I found relied to some extent on shop bought mixes.

Here we go, Chef John seems to know what we need when looking at recipes - this one details all the spices individually (I was right about the white pepper, the rest of it looks spot on too). Slightly disturbing lack of lard though - if you eat lard or bacon fat then I would suggest using that instead of butter for the roux - I know from experience that making this dish with just butter rather than lard/oil or part and part butter & oil or lard can result in an extremely strong butter smell - sounds lovely but it can actually be a little sickly when you're sitting down to what is a savoury dish rather than a pile of French patisserie :D

And yeah it's just the roux is a lot more liquid than if you are making a classic French sauce, but if you give it as much care and attention so it doesn't stick and burn you'll be fine.

Here we go, Chef John seems to know what we need when looking at recipes - this one details all the spices individually (I was right about the white pepper, the rest of it looks spot on too). Slightly disturbing lack of lard though - if you eat lard or bacon fat then I would suggest using that instead of butter for the roux - I know from experience that making this dish with just butter rather than lard/oil or part and part butter & oil or lard can result in an extremely strong butter smell - sounds lovely but it can actually be a little sickly when you're sitting down to what is a savoury dish rather than a pile of French patisserie :D

And yeah it's just the roux is a lot more liquid than if you are making a classic French sauce, but if you give it as much care and attention so it doesn't stick and burn you'll be fine.
These days I tend to use, for this type of cooking, a mix of a bland oil and butter. I'm also very lucky in that I can get a massive range of olive oil from very light, almost like a sunflower oil, to the full on artesanal cold first press. I get very frustrated back in the UK when I need oil because it is either poor quality, expensive, or both.

Something that was sold as mutabaq only this used aubergine rather than the bread version that comes up when you google. Was lush

Hairy bittercress.
My front garden has a lot of it at the moment.
I was watching some "eat the weeds" videos last night.

There was some in a pot safely away from feline activity so I randomly munched on some just now when putting out some recycling.

Yuck.

Initially nothing, but later on an indefinable persistent plant-y taste. I hope it has dissipated before I have my coffee ...

hairycress.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom