Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to have with a buttery...this and new food experiences

Of course it's possible that my Tablet, isn't pukka Tablet; or that there are family/cultural differences going on.

At the end of the day, I love Tablet, and the haters can GTF! :thumbs:

There is a bit of variation in Tablet recipes IME - Some are softer/lighter than others but it is all good Tablet!

It all comes down to whatever of the various balls/cracks you used when boiling the sugar.

I'm loving the way this thread twists and turns...do we have a Scottish celebration type of thread/forum? Bit like the general urban 75 but just Scotland related and not all about money or politics.
There's long been repression of Scottish culture and interests on these boards. Please support my long running campaign to see the Scotland forum granted equality.

Harry Gow definitely do them. They have quite a few shops now, starting from Keith, right-up to Brora and Highland Co-Ops carry some lines.

They have a lot of other nice stuff and their rolls are very good. A colleague brought some chilli and chickpea pies back recently, which were interesting! :)

Urban's original Rowie thread has been running since 2005 BTW:

Saw a new baker had opened in town the other day - Going to test their Rowies soon. :)
I can report from the scene, that Harry Gow branches in Inverness do not offer Rowies.

Quite right too; they are one of those weird things from the East.

They do have macaroni pies of course. One of which I ate for lunch today.

I can report from the scene, that Harry Gow branches in Inverness do not offer Rowies.

Quite right too; they are one of those weird things from the East.

They do have macaroni pies of course. One of which I ate for lunch today.
The Co-op in Inverness was selling Harry Gow rowies when I was there the other week.

Really? That surprises me as they've just held the Cullen Skink championships there at the weekend and the runner up was the local cafe. Cullen Skink World Championships 2023 & 2024 - Discover Cullen

Strange how the winner was the chef at the hotel in which the championships were held :hmm:

PS Portsoy is my favourite place...its our Friday night pub place :)
I was in Cullen (& Portknockie) at the weekend. No idea how Spymaster failed to find any Cullen Skink there, other than through basic incompetence, which does seem plausible as an explanation.

We went to Lily's cafe, a great unfussy cafe and tried it there. The place mentioned in your link above as the runner-up this year. As it happened my companion had had (just last week) Cullen Skink at the place in Kyle listed as the winner. The conclusion seemed to be they were both good.

By the way for anyone who finds themselves in the area go to the fishing heritage museum in Buckie - brilliant example of what a small local museum can be. The chaps in there are really friendly and knowledgeable and happy to explain stuff and talk as long as you want about fishing-related matters.

It's confusing having two buttery threads in different forums.

Anyway what I came here to say was that macaroni pies are great n all but lasagne pie is even better (especially if you stick more cheese on top and melt it under the grill :oops:)

Back
Top Bottom