Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to have with a buttery...this and new food experiences

View attachment 368569

I heard a heavy clunk in the hallway and the drop from the letterbox to the floor has actually caused it to dent a floorboard.
Best laugh I've had for weeks, thank you :D
sparkling you get a funcy(fancy) piece as well, that's usually a nice cake. I will go find the farmer videos you should maybe watch to get an idea of the local lingo

Actually this een is better :D

Last edited:
View attachment 368569

This just arrived by post in a jiffy bag.

I heard a heavy clunk in the hallway and the drop from the letterbox to the floor has actually caused it to dent a floorboard.

The difference between this and fudge is immediately apparent just by the feel through the wrapping. It's rock hard. I'll try it later.

Ok. I've given this a go.

What we have here, is what we (and by "we" I mean those of us with Indian subcontinental heritage) call Burfi/Barfi. It's identical.

Fudge is smooth but this has a more granular texture. Tastewise it's delicious, but it clogs arteries and removes tooth enamel. My dad had an extreme fondness for the stuff and used to steal it from weddings, where it's most commonly served. Anyone familiar with Indian sweet shops will have seen rakes of the stuff in different varieties.

I'm delighted to discover this link with our Scottish friends!

Mrs Spy has taken it off me and hidden it. She's giving it to the kids this weekend. :(

We called a sandwich a sandwich when I was growing up but other kids in my school called it a piece (piece and jam, piece and cheese, piece and ham...) and I understood what they meant. But your school playtime snack was always a play-piece. And it could have been anything, a bit of fruit or a packet of crisps or a Penguin biscuit. All 'your play-piece'.

Ok. I've given this a go.

What we have here, is what we (and by "we" I mean those of us with Indian subcontinental heritage) call Burfi/Barfi. It's identical.

Fudge is smooth but this has a more granular texture. Tastewise it's delicious, but it clogs arteries and removes tooth enamel. My dad had an extreme fondness for the stuff and used to steal it from weddings, where it's most commonly served. Anyone familiar with Indian sweet shops will have seen rakes of the stuff in different varieties.

I'm delighted to discover this link with our Scottish friends!

Mrs Spy has taken it off me and hidden it. She's giving it to the kids this weekend. :(
I think Indian sweet shops cost me two teeth when I lived in the East end but yes you're right they are similar. Scottish Tabled is a bit harder but then it is Scottish after all.

I was watching a fly fishing video the other day and Davie McPhail was talking about going for a Donna. That was a new one on me.

We called a sandwich a sandwich when I was growing up but other kids in my school called it a piece (piece and jam, piece and cheese, piece and ham...) and I understood what they meant. But your school playtime snack was always a play-piece. And it could have been anything, a bit of fruit or a packet of crisps or a Penguin biscuit. All 'your play-piece'.
In Liverpool you refer to your packed lunch as your "Cutting up".

Nah, the texture and taste are different. Burfi's softer and smoother. (Well the burfi I've had anyway and my ex used to eat/get given it by family a lot... :hmm:)

I think Indian sweet shops cost me two teeth when I lived in the East end but yes you're right they are similar. Scottish Tabled is a bit harder but then it is Scottish after all.

:eek: Barfi is rock-hard. The softer stuff, we call Besan (commonly green or orange - pistachio or carrot -)

Of course it's possible that my Tablet, isn't pukka Tablet; or that there are family/cultural differences going on.

At the end of the day, I love Tablet, and the haters can GTF! :thumbs:

I'm loving the way this thread twists and turns...do we have a Scottish celebration type of thread/forum? Bit like the general urban 75 but just Scotland related and not all about money or politics.

I'm loving the way this thread twists and turns...do we have a Scottish celebration type of thread/forum? Bit like the general urban 75 but just Scotland related and not all about money or politics.
There's a whole Scotland forum!

There's a whole Scotland forum!
Yeah I know and I've looked but I can't see any with the sense of chattiness that this thread seems to have. Lots on politics and where to visit which is maybe just what people want. (I'll shut up and go away again :) )

Tried a Milky bar milk slice.
Sis put them by mistake into the online shopping basket thinking they were milky bar chocolate bars.

Truly disgusting ..if you want to feel the dryness of the Sahara desert in your mouth, this is it.

Choked on it.

Just popping in to say that I'm enjoying reading about your new life sparkling.

I'm a bit smitten by Scottish islands atm myself and there is frequent pipe-dreaming talk of a move North in the Voley household.

Also, there was a massive thread on butteries/rowies ages ago. I've got to try one when I'm up in June.

Also, there was a massive thread on butteries/rowies ages ago. I've got to try one when I'm up in June.

are you sure you didn't try one over 20 yrs ago? I remember bringing them down for various urbs over the yrs but can't remember if I brought any down to yours

Back
Top Bottom