Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to have with a buttery...this and new food experiences

This thread has reminded me of my English Lit. teacher from school, Mr Buttery. He invited me and three of my mates back to his after school one day and took us through an initiation ceremony, which was basically riding an antique rocking horse in a bare basement room, with him watching from the little stone steps leading down to it. Blazers off, obviously. This was in the days before it was considered bad form to have unsupervised boys over to your house.

Do you know how widely available they are in the other direction? I was thinking about heading up to either Orkney or the Hebrides some time soonish, possibly via Inverness, and rowies are the one thing I've not tried yet (luckily I still have a macaroni pie and some tattie scones in the freezer from last time, or I'd have to put this thread on ignore out of jealousy)
Not been that far north for yrs tbh so not sure, I think you'd get them in Inverness, pogofish do you know?

Macaroni pie and chips? Basically carbs, carbs and carbs....
:confused:
nah. Is not for me...

Scotch pies are great though. The ones from Greggs are not very good I learned today. Tesco used to do them. Proper bakers who know how to do them are better obv.

And a Mealie Pudding on the side. Just to fill you-up a wee bit!..! :p :D

Scotch Pies are highly variable IME. Most bakers have their own recipes, so if you find a good baker, cherish them..! :)

Not been that far north for yrs tbh so not sure, I think you'd get them in Inverness, pogofish do you know?

Harry Gow definitely do them. They have quite a few shops now, starting from Keith, right-up to Brora and Highland Co-Ops carry some lines.

They have a lot of other nice stuff and their rolls are very good. A colleague brought some chilli and chickpea pies back recently, which were interesting! :)

Urban's original Rowie thread has been running since 2005 BTW:

Saw a new baker had opened in town the other day - Going to test their Rowies soon. :)

That sounds grim. :(

Anything but!

3780596.95fb9e2c.1600.jpg

:D

Do you know how widely available they are in the other direction? I was thinking about heading up to either Orkney or the Hebrides some time soonish, possibly via Inverness, and rowies are the one thing I've not tried yet (luckily I still have a macaroni pie and some tattie scones in the freezer from last time, or I'd have to put this thread on ignore out of jealousy)

Orkney - Then you need to try the Patties. Once again, just about everywhere has their own recipe, so you have plenty to choose from. You also get them in chippers..!

This thread has reminded me of my English Lit. teacher from school, Mr Buttery. He invited me and three of my mates back to his after school one day and took us through an initiation ceremony, which was basically riding an antique rocking horse in a bare basement room, with him watching from the little stone steps leading down to it. Blazers off, obviously. This was in the days before it was considered bad form to have unsupervised boys over to your house.
Now I never expected the conversation to include this comment....Hope buttery has not brought back traumatic memories.

Now I never expected the conversation to include this comment....Hope buttery has not brought back traumatic memories.

At the time we thought it was funny. Now, I see how much it makes me question every interaction I have with others and I wasn't really even the focus of their attention. Our school janitor, who we sung in the choir for 50p a wedding? He was an actual, convicted (years later) paedophile. One of my mates from then never recovered from the attentions of a similar man.

After coming late and being a bit sniffy about trying one after the disastrous scotch pie try out, I have to say the buttery was delicious and very moreish. Do you think they're fattening?
When we first moved up 18 years ago i registered at the local surgery and was called in for an assessment of my ticker (id had a by-pass a few years earlier). The doctor took one look at me and said i was obviously way too fond of butteries, and putting on his best finger wagging posture opined on just how fattening and dangerous butteries were and that someone with my health situation should avoid them at all costs.. Then, on the way out of his surgery, i was feeling very chastened when he called out: " and by the way, the finest butteries in all of Scotland are available where i stay in nearby Portsoy"! That poor devil has since departed and (obviously) i have not. They are so delish sparkling, but read the cautions on the label (drink responsibly) 🤣
🤣

When we first moved up 18 years ago i registered at the local surgery and was called in for an assessment of my ticker (id had a by-pass a few years earlier). The doctor took one look at me and said i was obviously way too fond of butteries, and putting on his best finger wagging posture opined on just how fattening and dangerous butteries were and that someone with my health situation should avoid them at all costs.. Then, on the way out of his surgery, i was feeling very chastened when he called out: " and by the way, the finest butteries in all of Scotland are available where i stay in nearby Portsoy"! That poor devil has since departed and (obviously) i have not. They are so delish sparkling, but read the cautions on the label (drink responsibly) 🤣
🤣
Another good mention for Portsoy! Hurrah!

There's already a new foods you've tried thread. It's 113 pages long too

There's already a new foods you've tried thread. It's 113 pages long too

oh goodness my memory...sorry :facepalm:

I don’t like mega threads. I like individual discussions. Mega threads have killed the boards somewhat.
I’ve enjoyed the side track about Leek on the Foreign Food thread. I’m feeling nostalgic for a visit. Mrs LR’s Mum and Step Dad are both gone now, and her Dad long ago and his Widow now too. So there’s fewer and fewer reasons to visit.

Back
Top Bottom