Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to have with a buttery...this and new food experiences

Had to look that up.

What's the difference between tablet and fudge?
Fudge is softer and smoother, tablet is quite granulated. You know the difference between normal rum and over-proof rum? That's like fudge and tablet except instead of being alcohol, it's sugar. If your tooth enamel doesn't hurt afterwards, you're doing it wrong...

My mother always had a massive downer on tablet, claiming it was bad for our teeth. :rolleyes: Now I'm a a grown up, I can kind of see her point. :oops:

(Seriously though apples and monkey nuts at Hallowe'en really didn't cut it.)
Known as Dentist's Delight in our house growing up.

Tablet and fudge can be distinguished by their consistency: if you had a thin bit of tablet and tried to snap it in half you would get a clean-ish break whereas fudge would bend.

lol it is a bit weird to us....but we are getting used to it...the wierdest thing was asking what is Lorne and then buying a breakfast pack of it! Live and learn
Lorne is foul!! It's not even meat imo, scotch pies I would have advised against also, but you do need to try spicy haggis :D Though I mostly only eat Lidl's veggie haggis these days

Of course. Bridies are Scotland-wide. Although geminisnake will probably come along and say everywhere else does them wrong. 😉
no, she'll come along and say they are also on the foul not meat list :D The only bit of a forfar bridie I would eat is the pastry and I prefer my pastry to not contain crap alleged meat, but I can't eat pastry anymore
I remembered later a steak bridie may be ok, and re scotch pies they are all crap ime

Last edited:
Thankfully we only eat Kendal Mint Cake when visiting the lakes. It doesn’t seem widely available.
You'll be glad to know Go Outdoors stock it - they have branches nationwide I think.

You can but it online too here.

I just looked them up and they sound as though they might be rather nice but all the photos have the jam spread on top of them, on the crust, which somehow looks wrong. Are they not ever split through the middle? Doesn’t the topping just slide off?

What fucking jam are you eating that it slides off?

I thought a Buttery was an archaic term for a cafe. I once enjoyed a cuppa and a cake in the Penzance Buttery
It's an ancient term for a food storage place, along with pantry and larder.

As you would expect, butter was kept in the pantry, and the buttery was for storing beer and bread, even though the word pantry literally means "place for bread".

You should be able to get macaroni pies in a bakers or in a chippy. Cos they're even better as a supper. Mmmmm.

Macaroni pie and chips? Basically carbs, carbs and carbs....
:confused:
nah. Is not for me...

Scotch pies are great though. The ones from Greggs are not very good I learned today. Tesco used to do them. Proper bakers who know how to do them are better obv.

I've just been reading about it and the diference seems to be that it's made with condensed milk rather than cream.

I can't see why this would be a bad thing so in the spiririt of experimentation I have just ordered some tablet from the Ochil Fudge Pantry.
You'll regret it.

Scotland is so wrong in many ways :(

There's a lot of stuff that is sold as "tablet" that's really just fudge. Good tablet is not always easy to find. In my possibly rose tinted mind, the best tablet is the kind you used to get at jumble sales (maybe you still do), home made by elderly ladies who knew what they were doing.

It should be a bit powdery on the outside and snap into pieces without any hint of bending. And as someone already said, a bit granulated.

Fudge, of course, is awful southern stuff, and could be legislated against in an independent Scotland.

I'm really not sure tablet and connosieurism go together. I think it's a get-what-you're-given affair. Which is not meant as a slight on tablet. Once upon a time that's how it was with most food.

Last edited:
This thread is much informative and something that urban excels at. Love the idea of exotic sounding foods like "tablet" and "buttery", and must try them if ever reach the ancestral lands.

Hmm. Must check for Scotland food outlets over here.

not sure how far south they go tbh, yrs ago the furthest south you could get rowies was South Queensferry Tesco
Do you know how widely available they are in the other direction? I was thinking about heading up to either Orkney or the Hebrides some time soonish, possibly via Inverness, and rowies are the one thing I've not tried yet (luckily I still have a macaroni pie and some tattie scones in the freezer from last time, or I'd have to put this thread on ignore out of jealousy)

I actually managed not to find any Cullen Skink, in Cullen, but we did have better luck in Portsoy.
Really? That surprises me as they've just held the Cullen Skink championships there at the weekend and the runner up was the local cafe. Cullen Skink World Championships 2023 & 2024 - Discover Cullen

Strange how the winner was the chef at the hotel in which the championships were held :hmm:

PS Portsoy is my favourite place...its our Friday night pub place :)

it's the wrong name for a rowie :D Though butteries tend to be a bit puffier than rowies ime, whole thread about them in the Scotland forum, I used to bring them d own to London with me, no-one ever said no to extras :D
I remember you bringing me a rowie down to William of Walworth's flat! :cool: That's got to be 20 years ago now. You also brought your own tapwater down IIRC :D (don't blame you)

Back
Top Bottom