Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I’m about to try these, my friend sent me them to try with our lockdown curry delivery. Anyone tried them?

I think I have, but not from a tin, from an Indian confectionery shop on Green Street. I love Indian/Pakistani sweets/desserts/confections but a little goes a long way, I don't have that much of a sweet tooth.

Ardennes Pate . Well I probably had it before but a long time ago.

I think it is lush and Larry the dog agrees!

Constantly surprised by people who feed stuff with onion and garlic in to dogs & cats! I know it's definitely not good for cats, I thought it wasn't for dogs either, maybe I am wrong (I thought aliums could cause anaemia).

Constantly surprised by people who feed stuff with onion and garlic in to dogs & cats! I know it's definitely not good for cats, I thought it wasn't for dogs either, maybe I am wrong (I thought aliums could cause anaemia).
Oh, interesting, I hadn't thought of that, I only give him a tiny piece so I expect it is ok.

I can't imagine being self centred enough to think that anyone would want to sit through any meaningless drivel about my life experiences to get to a recipe at the bottom of the page is all. If I was going to put my own (not taken from other places of course, just my own creations) recipes online it would be more in the style of a traditional recipe book rather than a load of waffle - it seems self-important to do that and not everyone is special or interesting :D

Totally agree. I only use food blogs now that have a 'jump to recipe' button at the top.

I can't imagine being self centred enough to think that anyone would want to sit through any meaningless drivel about my life experiences to get to a recipe at the bottom of the page is all. If I was going to put my own (not taken from other places of course, just my own creations) recipes online it would be more in the style of a traditional recipe book rather than a load of waffle - it seems self-important to do that and not everyone is special or interesting :D
It wouldn't be so bad if the waffle was just a condensed block of waffle so that you could just scroll down to the recipe but normally its a paragraph of waffle followed by some meaningless picture followed by another paragraph of waffle insight/musing followed by another photo and you keep reaching the next para of waffle/photo in the vague hope that there is actually a recipe somewhere.

Oh, interesting, I hadn't thought of that, I only give him a tiny piece so I expect it is ok.

I think with that it is more gradual effect from regular feeding, a little bit will not likely have done any harm but better to avoid in future.

Other human food items to avoid (I know some of these are going to be obvious!) besides onions/garlic/leeks/chives - coffee, alcohol, chocolate, raisins/sultanas etc, avocado, cooked bones, macadamia nuts, and anything that contains artificial sweeteners (sorbitol etc is highly toxic to dogs and cats).

(Plus of course keep all medications and cleaning products out of reach, and check about houseplants and cut flowers, some are ok some are not - lilies are highly toxic especially to cats, but spider plants are pretty innocuous)

I think I have, but not from a tin, from an Indian confectionery shop on Green Street. I love Indian/Pakistani sweets/desserts/confections but a little goes a long way, I don't have that much of a sweet tooth.

We used to live just off Green Street in the mid 90s, great place with a guy doing fresh sugar cane juice and jelly coconut, plus a pan-wallah at the end of the road. Pan (betel leaves) are a novel experience!

Epona, it sounds like you need Paprika. It's an app or program that you give a Web address to and then it strips out the actual recipe and stores it.

Epona, it sounds like you need Paprika. It's an app or program that you give a Web address to and then it strips out the actual recipe and stores it.

I don't because I use Copy Me That which has a free version that is not as limited as Paprika ;) Not sure why everyone is so excited about Paprika, there are better free alternatives!!!

Still the first time I use a recipe I don't put it in my own recipe book, and I am not going to start putting stuff in there when I am just browsing multiple recipes for the same thing - I'll find one I like the look of first, then add that one only. Still need to scroll to find the recipes I want to add.

Fried banana skins. . . . .
and I'm loving it!

Forget trying to flavour it like bacon, it doesn't work and I don't want bacon anyway.
Just trying in a little olive oil or coconut oil.
Fry hard for crispy, or a bit less for chewy.
I have been eating it like jerky or in a sandwich.

I don't like bananas at all but these are great, and if I understand correctly they have far more good stuff in than the actual banana.

Just make sure you scrape off ALL the soft banana bits. Thats the stuff that tastes like sweet banana. The skins don't taste like that at all. SANY2569.JPG

Back
Top Bottom