Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

It's not particularly appetisingly shot but it's just how gravy is made - stock cube type stuff + cornflour. You would feasibly do this at home with a stock cube and some cornflour (in practice you'd normally make a roux but whatevs).

Iceland do a pretty close version of K.F.C gravy mix not my sort of thing though it leaves a greasy feeling on roof of my mouth for ages afterwards same as I get with KFC
Made by the Mayflower company that do the really good Chinese easy Curry sauce mix which I really like for a quick authentic Chinese style curry or to mix up in 3 minutes to throw over chips at midnight its closest Ive found to a Takeaway and usually in the cheap poundland style shops too

It is all chemical shit though up to 1.6 litres of it in 2 minutes for a quid

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, it does actually use chicken crackling from the bottom of the fryer, so it's not just chemicals/stock cube and flour. And like RubyToogood says, it's just how gravy is made. The fact it includes the scrapings from their fried chicken makes it a step above most packet bought gravies.

Or something to be avoided at all costs, depending upon your PoV... (can't stand the stuff, if gravy is coming out of a packet then I'd far rather have red bisto)

Gozleme - griddle-cooked Turkish pastry/flatbread roll thing with filling of lamb (and LOADS of onion, tomato, aromatics). Almost unbelievably delicious. These ought to be more popular than croissants.
Recently been having these , they are lovely. 1st tried them at a local market, then saw them popping up at local cafes, including recently a very local one . She's been getting a lot of Gozleme business from us. She's put her mum in the window making them :cool:

Had my first taste of Zhug - Yemeni hot sauce made with chilli, coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, parsley, coriander, salt, lemon juice and olive oil - about 10 minutes ago with lunch. It is bloody lovely and packs more of a punch than I expected! 😋😋
I have never even heard of that, but I want it now. Cor!

Had my first taste of Zhug - Yemeni hot sauce made with chilli, coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, parsley, coriander, salt, lemon juice and olive oil - about 10 minutes ago with lunch. It is bloody lovely and packs more of a punch than I expected! 😋😋
Did you see this? Am about to go condimental on that list, trying them all

Did you see this? Am about to go condimental on that list, trying them all

Oo - nice one Ta! I decided to give the Zhug a go since Mrs SFM heard about it on the radio last week. 🙂

Here’s the recipe I used:

That looks amazing, will try it soon.

What is it with this trend for recipes that include a fucking lengthy biog/blog/journal type entry with a load of text and photos before getting to the recipe which you have to scroll loads to get to? Is it to do with sponsor ads and keeping you on the page for longer while you look for the actual recipe, or is it because people genuinely think that everything in their head is super-interesting to everyone else and we are all transfixed reading it?

What is it with this trend for recipes that include a fucking lengthy biog/blog/journal type entry with a load of text and photos before getting to the recipe which you have to scroll loads to get to? Is it to do with sponsor ads and keeping you on the page for longer while you look for the actual recipe, or is it because people genuinely think that everything in their head is super-interesting to everyone else and we are all transfixed reading it?

I thought that too when I read it. Kept thinking “When are they going to get to the bloody recipe?” 😠. Out of all the recipes I looked at though, this one seemed to have all the spices I love in it 🙂

The latter. It is interesting to me, and others I’m sure. It wouldn’t be a blog if it was just recipes

The latter. It is interesting to me, and others I’m sure. It wouldn’t be a blog if it was just recipes

But so many recipe blogs follow the exact same format, are they all using a free recipe blog template or something? I can't tell the difference between one recipe blog and another

But so many recipe blogs follow the exact same format, are they all using a free recipe blog template or something? I can't tell the difference between one recipe blog and another
Not just recipe blogs - many have off the peg design formats cos they’re cheap and you don’t need to know much to start your own.
A company got into trouble recently for cribbing recipes from blogs and posting them on their own site:

I can't imagine being self centred enough to think that anyone would want to sit through any meaningless drivel about my life experiences to get to a recipe at the bottom of the page is all. If I was going to put my own (not taken from other places of course, just my own creations) recipes online it would be more in the style of a traditional recipe book rather than a load of waffle - it seems self-important to do that and not everyone is special or interesting :D

I can't imagine being self centred enough to think that anyone would want to sit through any meaningless drivel about my life experiences to get to a recipe at the bottom of the page is all. If I was going to put my own (not taken from other places of course, just my own creations) recipes online it would be more in the style of a traditional recipe book rather than a load of waffle - it seems self-important to do that and not everyone is special or interesting :D
That’s very dismissive. Other people are interesting. Other people are interested in other people’s recipes and the stories that are connected to that. It’s not self-centred - it’s sharing the joy you get from cooking something you love to the world

That’s very dismissive. Other people are interesting. Other people are interested in other people’s recipes and the stories that are connected to that. It’s not self-centred - it’s sharing the joy you get from cooking something you love to the world

Put the recipe at the top then and let those who are interested scroll down for the oh so entertaining life story... Let's face it, most of us arrive at those pages because we googled "sauce for pork chop recipes"

(ie. I probably have around 10 years left max, I want to spend that on my own shit and getting on with cooking a sauce for my pork chop, not reading about other peoples' lives and having to search through a load of stories about someone's best pork chop holiday related tales before I get to the recipe - sorry)

Put the recipe at the top then and let those who are interested scroll down for the oh so entertaining life story... Let's face it, most of us arrive at those pages because we googled "sauce for pork chop recipes"

(ie. I probably have around 10 years left max, I want to spend that on my own shit and getting on with cooking a sauce for my pork chop, not reading about other peoples' lives and having to search through a load of stories about someone's best pork chop holiday related tales before I get to the recipe - sorry)
Use BBC food/BBC Good Food/newspaper and supermarket recipe sections/Yummly/Olivemagazine - they’re more pure recipes though there can be a little bit of bumf

Back
Top Bottom