Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I’m about to try these, my friend sent me them to try with our lockdown curry delivery. Anyone tried them?

They were very nice, incredibly sweet, though. The texture and sweetness reminded me of golden syrup steamed pudding or doughnut. They’d probably have been better with plain ice cream but we only had salted caramel.

Attachments

• 1A47FEA0-6CD5-415C-8BA1-F411A6035D4A.jpeg
    1A47FEA0-6CD5-415C-8BA1-F411A6035D4A.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 8A60662F-7A05-4091-8F73-9658336B19FE.jpeg
    8A60662F-7A05-4091-8F73-9658336B19FE.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
I’ve just had the first of this year’s pickled onions. They are perfect. So they’ll soon be gone.
I make three or four jars a year from shallots that I buy from the veg shop . I plant them and they grow into about five or six small shallots , perfect size for pickling

I have been shopping & got the gravy & breadcrumbs to add to b’day gifts for friends who share the same b’day.

Also got them the curry sauce which I bought the other week which had been bostin on a crusty cob with veggie sausages.

Attachments

• 1DFDB47E-DBF4-4F8B-8119-02CAF8F10819.jpeg
    1DFDB47E-DBF4-4F8B-8119-02CAF8F10819.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 12
Eeeeeew

I had some yacon yesterday. Was ok, oca is a nicer unusual tuber. Also raw shiitake mushroom just coz I'd dropped some earlier and cba opening the fridge again for strays. Wouldn't recommend.
It's the Korean version of carbonara so basically nothing like it, much like Anglo Chinese food or chicken tikka masala :D

I go to Nottingham for more unusual fresh veg but obviously can't at the moment. I must get a few more of those roots on my list! Yeah raw mushrooms of any kind, not my favourite.

It's the Korean version of carbonara so basically nothing like it, much like Anglo Chinese food or chicken tikka masala :D

I go to Nottingham for more unusual fresh veg but obviously can't at the moment. I must get a few more of those roots on my list! Yeah raw mushrooms of any kind, not my favourite.
You're not selling it :D

I've given some away already but might still have a couple of spare oca if you have room & wanted to try growing them

I had some yacon yesterday. Was ok, oca is a nicer unusual tuber. Also raw shiitake mushroom just coz I'd dropped some earlier and cba opening the fridge again for strays. Wouldn't recommend.
I liked the idea of eating dahlia tubers, but couldn't cope with a root tasting like fruit ...
I think the same colleague also gave me oca which I liked - though it could have been Chinese artichoke - something I definitely want to try to grow at some point - I like the perverseness of its being in the mint family ...
I had access to Jerusalem artichokes for years and don't think I ever gave them a proper go... :oops:

You're not selling it :D

I've given some away already but might still have a couple of spare oca if you have room & wanted to try growing them
Ha! Have you been looking at my house via drone? I've actually been out in the garden this morning with a vague plan in another vain hope of growing something. I could do with your expertise in getting anything grown, never mind exotica! Basically I have no clue, so please pass the oca onto someone who won't kill it :D I'll be happy with a couple of beetroots and a cabbage.

Sorry for the derail all.

Did you make it in the end? 🙂 I must say I can’t stop eating it and am even getting a wee bit evangelical about spreading the love 😋😋
I did! I will blame you when I inevitably go into hospital with a Zhug overdose. :D
It is just lovely so thank you for introducing me to it.

And in more Zhug news, I was watching something or other on The Food Network last week and they made it on there, too. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it on here a few weeks ago and now I have developed a rampaging Zhug habit and seen it on the telly. It is taking over my world.

I did! I will blame you when I inevitably go into hospital with a Zhug overdose. :D
It is just lovely so thank you for introducing me to it.

And in more Zhug news, I was watching something or other on The Food Network last week and they made it on there, too. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it on here a few weeks ago and now I have developed a rampaging Zhug habit and seen it on the telly. It is taking over my world.

Great stuff - and good to know I’m not alone in my obsession 😃

Any tips on adding herbs to a veggie stew ?
Though I doubt I could actually spoil it - perhaps I'll wait till the end of the batch...
I have thyme and sage and I just raided next door's huge bay tree ...

I heard about Tajin in a podcast I listen to which is a Mexican spice with lime, sea salt & chilli peppers which is apparently nice on multitude of food including watermelon. I bought 3 , one for me & 2 for b’day gifts.

Speaking of which, I have gone condimental and have loads of new hot sauces
First up - Crystal - Louisiana's Pure Hot Sauce:
large_40d7c728-4349-4d5a-9bc8-c94c0759058d.jpg
Delicious - fuck Tabasco

Back
Top Bottom