Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I only just got round to trying ube. I don't really like orange or white sweet potato, but this is so much nicer, much more interesting. Got this snack bag of little pieces of boiled potato. I want to try it in more things!

download.jpg

^ I love tinned & frozen water chestnuts so would love to try fresh ones
Apparently you need to wash & peel them carefully (and then wash your hands) as they're grown in mud where there are often flukes. Chinese peasants who'd eat them raw and muddy straight out of the fields could get nasty gut infestations of the parasite. As long as they're thoroughly rinsed they'll be fine though even if raw.

^ I love tinned & frozen water chestnuts so would love to try fresh ones
Apparently you need to wash & peel them carefully (and then wash your hands) as they're grown in mud where there are often flukes. Chinese peasants who'd eat them raw and muddy straight out of the fields could get nasty gut infestations of the parasite. As long as they're thoroughly rinsed they'll be fine though even if raw.

Kind of wish I had read this before I ate one raw 😬

Still alive polly? Can't remember if I've ever had water chestnuts - are they worth buying?

I've used tinned ones sliced up in stir fries, they are nice, not a very strong flavour (they taste kind of fresh and a bit green if that makes sense) and a crunchy texture which is good in some stir fry dishes. Not sure I have ever had fresh ones.

I've used tinned ones sliced up in stir fries, they are nice, not a very strong flavour (they taste kind of fresh and a bit green if that makes sense) and a crunchy texture which is good in some stir fry dishes. Not sure I have ever had fresh ones.
I will track some down to see what they're like.

I sometimes find them in central isles of Aldi.

Also the "world foods" aisle of major supermarket chain large/hypermarket branches. Or Chinese/Asian supermarkets - tinned, in jars, vacuum packed etc.

I wouldn't say they are a must have unmissable ingredient - they are nice and crunchy but have a very mild taste.

Also the "world foods" aisle of major supermarket chain large/hypermarket branches. Or Chinese/Asian supermarkets - tinned, in jars, vacuum packed etc.

I wouldn't say they are a must have unmissable ingredient - they are nice and crunchy but have a very mild taste.

For sure. If they were cheaper/came in bigger containers I'd use them loads more, but as said, more for texture then taste.

I will track some down to see what they're like.

I love them, even the tinned ones. They don't taste of much, as others have said, but the texture is really good, really crunchy. The fresh ones taste nice too. Like Epona says, kind of green and also slightly sour.

I'm still alive. It's not dying I'm scared of but having worms. I'll keep you fully briefed.

I love them, even the tinned ones. They don't taste of much, as others have said, but the texture is really good, really crunchy. The fresh ones taste nice too. Like Epona says, kind of green and also slightly sour.

I'm still alive. It's not dying I'm scared of but having worms. I'll keep you fully briefed.

I understand that, I have a deep phobia and anxiety about the thought of having parasites (along with phobias of heights, enclosed spaces, some insects, needles and other medical stuff) :rolleyes: at myself.

Cannoli-ordered 12 to be delivered to a garden gathering yesterday & apparently they are best eaten few hours of being baked. They were strawberry & cream & devils choc but I’m aware ricotta is the tradition which I didn’t order due to kids. They went down a storm , I had a bite of a straw & cream one. B74514C0-B305-40C3-B86D-8F4B51F86472.png

Back
Top Bottom