Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Grom ice cream - stupidly expensive upmarket Italian ice cream for those with money to burn #gelatowankers. results split 50-50 so far on whether it is worth it (or whether I'm worth it, tbh).

Raspberry sorbet: way too sweet, not detectably any better or classier than the options from M&S or Tesco.
Hazelnut gelato: unbelievably delicious, wonderful and not like anything else available in supermarkets.

Grom ice cream - stupidly expensive upmarket Italian ice cream for those with money to burn #gelatowankers. results split 50-50 so far on whether it is worth it (or whether I'm worth it, tbh).

Raspberry sorbet: way too sweet, not detectably any better or classier than the options from M&S or Tesco.
Hazelnut gelato: unbelievably delicious, wonderful and not like anything else available in supermarkets.
I bought some of those recently - expensive for what it is, but I liked the raspberry sorbet. The mango one wasn't as nice as the same from M & S in my view.

I've tried them before now and again, but in order to optimise my diet, I've started adding milled flaxseed and fortified yeast flakes to my dinner - and I'm going to see if I can fit in some turmeric because that has become very popular recently as a supplement.
I will need to measure them in - if only for calorific reasons ...

I can't recommend mooli - perhaps I should persevere with eating it raw ... cooked I found it to be fairly meh ...

It's definitely meant to be only lightly cooked or raw. It is basically a giant, mild radish. If it's not crunchy, it's no good.
It goes really well in some slow cooked Korean galbi stews I've had, but needs to be in a really rich sauce and suck up all the juices.

I've tried them before now and again, but in order to optimise my diet, I've started adding milled flaxseed and fortified yeast flakes to my dinner - and I'm going to see if I can fit in some turmeric because that has become very popular recently as a supplement.
Have you tried adding dried seaweed to stuff? That can be nice, although it can be quite expensive for what you get. Very healthy though.

The channel 4 series, Food Unwrapped, did an investigation into turmeric and concluded that although it may provide some minor health benefits if eaten fresh in quantity, the amount you would have to ingest daily to actually make any difference would be unpalatable - so I wouldn't worry about it unless you want a little for flavour.

The channel 4 series, Food Unwrapped, did an investigation into turmeric and concluded that although it may provide some minor health benefits if eaten fresh in quantity, the amount you would have to ingest daily to actually make any difference would be unpalatable - so I wouldn't worry about it unless you want a little for flavour.
The same as any so-called 'superfood' I guess. Either the quantities required would be impossible to consume, or it'd do you some harm in such volumes. Like anti-oxidants - they can be actively dangerous in quantity as they interfere with the immune system's onco-surveillance and lead to malignancies. :(

Back
Top Bottom