Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Anyone tried this?
Screenshot_20211006-044037_Lite.jpg
I am tempted to get some, it's not going to be healthy though, is it?

I’ve been randomly down a Scots food rabbit hole on wikipedia after pogofish mentioned skirlies on another thread. I want to try a bunch of things but this one, not so much:
anyone tried it? danny la rouge weepiper quimcunx ?

Years, years and years ago - it was vile. Vaguely remember it as being like tripe jelly.

Its known as Potted Heid round here. Not seen any for sale for years - I think CJD/BSE may have killed it off?

There is also Potted Heugh (or Hoguh) which is a savoury, boiled-up marrowbone jelly, with scraps of meat (usually decent cuts) off the bones, which can be surprisingly delicious.

what about crowdies, caboc and clapshots?

Oats feature big in Scots cuisine, don’t they?!?

Crowdie is a cream cheese that has been made since ancient times. Needs to be made properly with unpasteurised milk to get it best though - I’ve only had really good crowdie in the islands, generally from crofters own cows. The commercial stuff made with pasteurised milk isn’t that much different from any cream cheese.

Caboc is a commercial creamy cheese (not cream cheese though), sort of buttery/cheesy taste/texture, rolled in coarse/pinhead oatmeal - think its idea is based on black crowdie, which is how they used to preserve crowdie for the winter, by rolling it in oatmeal and black pepper.

Clapshot is neeps and tatties mashed together - we have that thread.

Oats grow well in Scotland and can be used to feed people and animals, so a canny choice!

Ahh - I’ve never had the fish version - which maybe accounts for the different name. Potted Heid is/was a meat byproduct.

I have seen potted heugh from time to time. not sure I've actually tried it. I expect it's a bit pate like.

There is something it is very like - something very fancy/expensive I once had served at a meal I probably shouldn’t talk about here. ;)

what about crowdies, caboc and clapshots?

Oats feature big in Scots cuisine, don’t they?!?
Never eaten crappit heid but had all of these. Clapshot was a regular feature of family teatime when I was young. Caboc is really nice :) have eaten potted heugh as well.

Did the Daily Mail pay you to say that? Are you giving them for Christmas, too?
Not had a dog biscuit since I was a kid - but I remember going to the pet shop just off the high street to stock up for the mutts. Scooping up bags full of biscuits and doggy chocolates from the large bins in the shop, and trying some on the way home. A couple of bonio makes a good snack.

Dog chocolate is probably nicer than human chocolate too.

Back
Top Bottom