Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Not a food but it’s quite filling so I’ll stick it here:
Hotel Chocolat Salted Caramel & Clementine Chocolate Cream Liqueur
Delicious but overpriced as fuck.

Sounds very rich, a little probably goes a long way! I could see myself using it as a sauce for ice cream mind you :oops:

I tried jackfruit the other day, for the first time.

Was not impressed. Very meh for taste and texture. Disappointing.

Having since looked up its nutritional value, am mildly alarmed at how often I've seen it used in place of high protein foods in vegan meals recently.

Will stick to my usual sources of protein I reckon: lentils, chickpeas, various beans, tofu and tempeh.

Let us know what you think! It's not unpleasant but I don't think I would ever choose to eat it again
I'm a fan of very sweet and very savoury together like pork scratching and an apple and actually a lump of fudge sandwiched between 2 ready salted crisps or slices of cheese sounds bloody nice all of a sudden. I hope they've got some!

Having since looked up its nutritional value, am mildly alarmed at how often I've seen it used in place of high protein foods in vegan meals recently.

Will stick to my usual sources of protein I reckon: lentils, chickpeas, various beans, tofu and tempeh.

Not a massive fan of jackfruit here either. There are a whole range of other things (veggies/pulses etc) that I would far rather eat and are much more enjoyable!

This is true of a lot of the currently trendy kind of vegan food - actually very low in protein.

Fresh jackfruit straight off the tree is delicious.

You get street sellers selling jackfruit and only jackfruit at street markets all over Malaysia. They're absolutely huge fruits and it takes some skill to open them and portion them out.

I wouldn't eat anything you get over here though, especially not in a savoury dish like some people seem to do.

This is true of a lot of the currently trendy kind of vegan food - actually very low in protein.
No idea of the protein content, but saw some vegan bacon in Aldi the other day - it looked like it was made entirely from plastic, like something from a kids toy set. If it's still on the shelf next time I'm I'll take a picture - it looked very odd.

I've not been for my cheese yet. It's in the schedule for this weekend. I think they may have the milder one but not sure if they've the stronger one. We shall see! I'm actually going to see if I can source chocolate digestive tea from another shop as I have a fainting disturbing addiction to Yorkshire Biscuit Tea and am hankering for more flavours.

I've not been for my cheese yet. It's in the schedule for this weekend. I think they may have the milder one but not sure if they've the stronger one. We shall see! I'm actually going to see if I can source chocolate digestive tea from another shop as I have a fainting disturbing addiction to Yorkshire Biscuit Tea and am hankering for more flavours.
Have you tried Hot Cross Bun tea? I really like it - it's basically just rooibos with some spices

Have you tried Hot Cross Bun tea? I really like it - it's basically just rooibos with some spices
No but when I've had rooibos before, a few times, it's made me queasy so I don't know if it's a slight allergy or coincidence. They do a gingerbread chai using rooibos I might try a single bag and see if it makes me woozy.

Rooibos is apparently okay with me having tried some banana bread tea which has it in. I may have bought some as well as the chocolate digestive tea. Stopped myself buying more by purchasing a personalised sort of gift set of tea for best mate Mogden for her birthday but I'll be going back for more.

The cheesemonger was a twat. I did buy some cheese but was struck off for daring to enquiry about Continental cheeses. There were some in the cheese display area so it was a natural assumption I could ask about them. Pretended not to know of the fudgy cheese. I just got a withering look and a lecture about UK cheeses. Yes by all means support local producers but don't be a dickhead about it.

I’d got about a kg of wild prawns that needed eating so I cooked them in garlic butter, using a Philippine recipe I found on the internet.

I've got a kg of live mussels for tomorrow. I’ll probably do them in a salsa verde. I’m not sure yet.

Getting back on track, the chocolate digestive tea is bloody lovely but I need to be more generous with the tea cos it was really very pale.

Something I first tried a while ago is sweet and sour bread, an East European, I think Slovakian in origin, rye bread which doesn't make you feel like you've eaten an entire malt loaf in one gulp. What is new is horseradish cream cheese. Not an overwhelming taste of horseradish which means it's a good topper for the bread. The East European supermarket also has an amazing array of doughnuts and pastries. Coconut and custard doughnut last week and a sort of apple doughnut turnover this week. I'm glad my appetite is still kinda wonky cos it stops me scoffing them all.

That reminds me, have never known of Eastern European bakeries being especially regarded and it might be that its just an excellent bakery but my local-to-work Polish bakery is the best I’ve ever used. Their sourdough loaves are amazing for sandwiches and toast and they’re a fraction of what you’d pay at an ‘artisanal’ bakery or even the supermarket. And they do delicious and very attractive-looking cakes and buns. I once had a cream cake the size of a child’s head. It was like one of those stupid posh burgers in that it made me wish I had a python’s detachable jaw just to get my cakehole around it

Last edited:
Yes I concur. The quality and price of bakery goods are outstanding. The doughnuts are very large, have balanced sweetness not super sweet like Krispy Kreme, and are half the price at least. I've got a few more of them in mind to chomp through including some cherry ones assuming they're not seasonal. There is of course a stunning array of preserved meats, gherkins, cottage cheese and the obscure flavours of Muller milk drinks like pistachio and the banana twist I've bought this week. No idea what the twist is yet.

Getting back on track, the chocolate digestive tea is bloody lovely but I need to be more generous with the tea cos it was really very pale.
It seems to be the case for all of them. Mrs. C likes Yorkshire's biscuit and jammy toast flavoured ones, but does bemoan the fact that the tea itself is a bit feeble.

That reminds me, have never known of Eastern European bakeries being especially regarded and it might be that its just an excellent bakery but my local-to-work Polish bakery is the best I’ve ever used. Their sourdough loaves are amazing for sandwiches and toast and they’re a fraction of what you’d pay at an ‘artisanal’ bakery or even the supermarket. And they do delicious and very attractive-looking cakes and buns. I once had a cream cake the size of a child’s head. It was like one of those stupid posh burgers in that it made me wish I had a python’s detachable jaw just to get my cakehole around it
As a half-Pole, I rate Polish bakeries just behind German and French ones, but better than most others. It's quite a hike to my nearest and I've always got a yearning for paczki (the big filled doughnuts). And yeah, Polish light rye is probably the nicest cheap, everyday bread you can get. I mean, maybe a really good baguette rates higher at first but baguettes are only good on the day they're baked and the light rye will keep for a week easily.

Back
Top Bottom