Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Pah. You can get a cheap rice cooker for under £30. It will last 10+ years, make perfect unattended rice every time, and cost you far less in the long run buying bulk rice than crap in sachets.
We have a tiny flat with a tiny kitchen with little/no room for such gadgets.

Par for the course in Asia. They all have them. Rice cooker > microwave.
To be fair, we use ours almost every day either for breakfast porridge or rice with dinner. Not everyone will get that much use from it.
(I also have a £100 Japanese model, but I definitely don't recommend that for everyone.)

I'm with you hash tag
Cooked packet rice delivers 2 portions in 2.5 minutes and that's usually all I need at any given time. Can also be used as an instant salad base.

I could get a rice cooker. Indeed I've thought about it many times, but I rarely need more than 2 portions of rice at any one time.

I know it's expensive but it's my only real convenience food and it is so bloody convenient for me

I'm with you hash tag
Cooked packet rice delivers 2 portions in 2.5 minutes and that's usually all I need at any given time. Can also be used as an instant salad base.

I could get a rice cooker. Indeed I've thought about it many times, but I rarely need more than 2 portions of rice at any one time.

I know it's expensive but it's my only real convenience food and it is so bloody convenient for me
Not to mention all the different flavours you an get :thumbs:

I just do rice in a pan on the hob using the absorption method, 13 minutes (white rice, brown will take a bit longer) plus 5 minutes "fluffing time", and larger bags of rice are not terribly expensive (yet).

And yes it is perfect every time and doesn't need to be hovered over.

I just do rice in a pan on the hob using the absorption method, 13 minutes (white rice, brown will take a bit longer) plus 5 minutes "fluffing time", and larger bags of rice are not terribly expensive (yet).

And yes it is perfect every time and doesn't need to be hovered over.
It's not a lot of faff, I agree.
But it hardly compares to the "fire and forget" of microwave or rice cooker rice. Having a timer function to have it ready as needed is great, too.
One thing I do use a lot of is the brown rice program, and that is a faff on the hob, if only for the amount of time it sits there taking up a burner. To get it nice and fluffy takes at least an hour and a half, I find.

Greenhouse in England and they need plenty of good compost and later a weekly feed when the flowers set .
That's how we grew them in Porto and Andalucía. Without the greenhouse though. We use Tomrite fertiliser. It seems to work really well.

We will grow in pots indoors until they can go outside in the greenhouse, possibly on the patio because it is a sun trap.

I'm not sure if there's a lot of work to do on the greenhouse, but heating and insulation will be high on the list.

That's how we grew them in Porto and Andalucía. Without the greenhouse though. We use Tomrite fertiliser. It seems to work really well.

We will grow in pots indoors until they can go outside in the greenhouse, possibly on the patio because it is a sun trap.

I'm not sure if there's a lot of work to do on the greenhouse, but heating and insulation will be high on the list.
I’ve got some tomato plants flowering as we speak. My late ones , cherries , ( sown in September) were producing in December and Jan . Tbh the taste wasn’t as good as the spring / early summer ones . By July it’s too hot here for them unless you have shade .

I’ve got some tomato plants flowering as we speak. My late ones , cherries , ( sown in September) were producing in December and Jan . Tbh the taste wasn’t as good as the spring / early summer ones . By July it’s too hot here for them unless you have shade .
That’s exactly what we found. But the growing season was well into 6 months. We will not get that in Scotland. We planted the seeds in October/November and would have the start of fruits from January, and be eating them by March.

My sister ordered bananas and got this :-

275776279_10227408202928588_6435180040013119871_n.jpg

Unsurprisingly I quickly found this :-

I wonder if during WW2 they were actually able to import real banana extract or whether they were routinely synthesising isoamyl acetate by then ...

Last edited:
Baby aubergines, in a curry. Vile. Turned to slime.

Fresh figs, instead of the usual bumholes in a placcy bag that I've had previously. Yes, tasty. Only got them cos they were discounted.

I daren't have that in the house ...
Someone recently told me about pistachio butter - luckily I've yet to find that in the shops ...

Irresistible fat in a jar that you can scoff with a spoon, innit?

I really miss peanut butter (peanut allergy) but am probably better off without it, have so far resisted the temptation to give alternatives a try.

Clearly badly cooked then. Properly done they just soak up the flavour and have that little bit of bite left. I do a baby aubergine tagine and made it for a mate, who thought it was delish. He asked what was in it and upon being told, gasped astonishedly and said ‘but I hate aubergines’
They’re amazing in falafel wraps

Clearly badly cooked then. Properly done they just soak up the flavour and have that little bit of bite left. I do a baby aubergine tagine and made it for a mate, who thought it was delish. He asked what was in it and upon being told, gasped astonishedly and said ‘but I hate aubergines’
How very fucking dare you!

I love aubergines in tagines, and melanzane parmiggiana, but I did cut and fry the baby ones first (as per the recipe), and they appear to have soaked up alllll of the oil. Hence slimy.

I'm gonna kick your head in though for accusing me of badly cooking anything.

Back
Top Bottom