Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I'll just leave this horror here - I'm safe as I won't eat at least one of the ingredients ...
(courtesy of my niece posting it on FB)

"Northern Irish fridge cake with digestives, marshmallows and glacé cherries"

I'll just leave this horror here - I'm safe as I won't eat at least one of the ingredients ...

I'd eat it! Sounds lovely, a bit sweet mind, but yeah bring it on.

Dunno if this counts but I had just had some creme fraiche with a hint of lemon with my rhubarb crumble. Was nice but only got it as it was reduced.

There's also this - very easy to make but very rich. No oven required.

There's also this - very easy to make but very rich. No oven required.

That looks fantastic, serves 10 my arse, I reckon OH and I could put that away in a couple of sessions. He likes overly sweet stuff, and I love chocolate and Amaretti biscuits. The recipe doesn't specify but I imagine it means the small, hard, plain, apricot kernel Amaretti, rather than the big soft ones with added almond paste - the latter would be a bit trickier to crush as they're quite soft, and the recipe definitely says crushed, not squashed/smooshed.

I've relented and started to use a little demerara on my polenta / custard ...
I try to have nothing sweeter than banana mashed with jumbo oats - though I quite often add a little oat milk ...

Tried the 8 seed bread mix from Seasoned Pioneers in a 70% wholemeal loaf at the weekend. Verrrry nice - makes the toasted bread extra crunchy with lush nutty/peppery flavour.

That looks fantastic, serves 10 my arse, I reckon OH and I could put that away in a couple of sessions. He likes overly sweet stuff, and I love chocolate and Amaretti biscuits. The recipe doesn't specify but I imagine it means the small, hard, plain, apricot kernel Amaretti, rather than the big soft ones with added almond paste - the latter would be a bit trickier to crush as they're quite soft, and the recipe definitely says crushed, not squashed/smooshed.
I've only made it once or twice and I did use the hard biscuits.

I saw rag pudding advertised yesterday. It sounds disgusting.
I think Throbbing Angel has had them.

I think they sold them here when I visited Stalybridge

the tripe and sandwich shop, Stalybridge, with owner standing outside with a tray full to the brim of glistening tripe

I think Throbbing Angel has had them.

I think they sold them here when I visited Stalybridge

the tripe and sandwich shop, Stalybridge, with owner standing outside with a tray full to the brim of glistening tripe

Indeedy. Local butcher can get them in but you have to order them in special. Found a butcher in Garstang that carries them all the time, so you can just get yer suet fix there'n'then like a proper addict. No telegraphing or waiting.

Stalyvegas? Have you been getting about on the train again? Did you go to the pub at the train station @ Staly?

I was in the Polish pickle shop today and thought I would try the sunflower seed thing so bought some salted ones in shell.
How are you supposed to eat them ?
To appreciate the salt you presumably have to crack the shells with your teeth, but the kernels are so small I find it impossible to separate and swallowed a lot of shell ..

EDIT:- perhaps I bought rubbish ones - some of them are fatter ...

Last edited:
I was in the Polish pickle shop today and thought I would try the sunflower seed thing so bought some salted ones in shell.
How are you supposed to eat them ?
To appreciate the salt you presumably have to crack the shells with your teeth, but the kernels are so small I find it impossible to separate and swallowed a lot of shell ..

EDIT:- perhaps I bought rubbish ones - some of them are fatter ...
I bought them when Lidl had them in. They ended in the bin. Impossible to chew, tried shelling them but without a beak it was futile.

I used to eat them when I went to the football in Romania (they are a popular snack on the terraces there). I don't recall having any great difficulties with them, just trying to remember how I did it - I think hold them not so that your teeth (premolars) are biting down on the flat side, but on the pointier edges (the sides not the very pointy tip), that should crack the shell at the edge. Then you can use a thumbnail to prise it open and get to the seed. :confused:

Last edited:
I've made an Asturias bean stew. It's chorizo, morcilla, and streaky belly pork, (the meats are in a pack from Lidl) with onion, garlic, smoked paprika, tomatoes, and white beans. It smells delicious and tastes really nice. There's no overwhelming flavours. It's just nice. I've made enough for two days. Tomorrow I'll thin it a bit to make it more authentic.

I bought them when Lidl had them in. They ended in the bin. Impossible to chew, tried shelling them but without a beak it was futile.
There's a knack to it (which I don't have). I've seen people shell them completely effortlessly and go through a bag in minutes. It's impressive, in a way.

My local park regularly has piles of perfect shell halves around the benches - it could be I bought rubbish ones - only 60p when there were some at more than £2 .

Back
Top Bottom