Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Today I'm making shiozake, (Japanese salted salmon, marinaded in sake before salting, dry, salt, wait) it'll be two days before it's ready, so I hope it's good. I've had it before, but this is the first time I've made it.

My wife has just made me huevos rojos. Apart from the chorizo being a bit crispy, and the egg fried into plastic consistency, it was almost good. I like my chorizo sweated but still soft, and my eggs set and still very runny, deep fried preferably. As she said, “do it yourself then next time.”

My wife has just made me huevos rojos. Apart from the chorizo being a bit crispy, and the egg fried into plastic consistency, it was almost good. I like my chorizo sweated but still soft, and my eggs set and still very runny, deep fried preferably. As she said, “do it yourself then next time.”

Am often on the delivery end of Mrs dess's line myself, the like is for her :D

Am often on the delivery end of Mrs dess's line myself, the like is for her :D

In my case though it is because I didn't fry or scramble eggs "crispy" enough for OH so he really can do his own, he has a pan specifically for overcooking eggs because I am not going to let him wreck one of my nice ones!

(He can cook eggs perfectly well btw, it isn't lack of skill - he's done so on breakfast shifts in kitchens and when he is cooking eggs for me he does them beautifully the way I like them, ie. like a normal person :D )

Can’t get the staff these days

Plokkfiskur, Icelandic fish and potatoes. No photo as we ate it very late but it was bloody delicious. Total comfort food.

Also this soft drink which, very importantly, isn't sweet. It's just good carbonated Icelandic water with a lemon flavour in it. It comes in other flavours but I was so struck by the lemon, I stuck with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_075348.jpg
    IMG_20220425_075348.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 7
Takis - chili and lime corn crisps

1651923541260.png

These were more tangy than hot, but they did have a bit of heat, too. They taste like pure e-numbers, and had a bright red colour, but I was surprised to find they're mostly natural - and that's maybe not a good thing.

I had to Google cochineal as I'd never heard of it, and it turned out to be a natural red food colouring, made from squashing tiny beetles :guy:

I'm not vegan, but it seems unnecessary to kill bugs to make crisps red. Thumbs down from me.

Baghali Polo - Persian rice with dill and broad beans.

View attachment 321582

Very strange. I think I liked it, but not sure. It's so fragrant due to the dill. Have some leftovers in the fridge so will see how I get on with round two in a bit

I make this sometimes despite not really liking dill or broad beans, and kind of can't get enough of it while not really enjoying it :hmm: It's a weird one.

I don't think cochineal is made from beetles any more. There are chemicals which are much cheaper.

Takis - chili and lime corn crisps

View attachment 321583

These were more tangy than hot, but they did have a bit of heat, too. They taste like pure e-numbers, and had a bright red colour, but I was surprised to find they're mostly natural - and that's maybe not a good thing.

I had to Google cochineal as I'd never heard of it, and it turned out to be a natural red food colouring, made from squashing tiny beetles :guy:

I'm not vegan, but it seems unnecessary to kill bugs to make crisps red. Thumbs down from me.
I thought they'd largely moved away from using it to dye stuff, and use things like beetroot and the like instead - but looking into it it seems its making a bit of a comeback. Didn't know the beetle is a parasite that bothers cacti.

I thought they'd largely moved away from using it to dye stuff, and use things like beetroot and the like instead - but looking into it it seems its making a bit of a comeback. Didn't know the beetle is a parasite that bothers cacti.

Oh maybe, especially if it's a Mexican product, it is actually made from the beetles then. Sorry, should have googled!

I've just seen this recipe on FB and can't decide if it would be nice or disgusting, so I'm going to buy the ingredients when I walk my youngest home from school.

Banana and oat pancake

2 bananas;
2 eggs;
4 tablespoons of oat flour;
Cinnamon

Mash bananas and add to two whisked eggs.
Mix in 4 tbsp oat flour

Heat some oil in a frying pan.
Fry for 4 minutes on a low heat with a lid on.
Turn it onto a plate a return to fry other side for 2 minutes.

Slide onto a plate and sprinkle with cinnamon.

I vote "nice"
I've just seen this recipe on FB and can't decide if it would be nice or disgusting, so I'm going to buy the ingredients when I walk my youngest home from school.

Banana and oat pancake

2 bananas;
2 eggs;
Cinnamon

Mix in 4 tbsp oat flour

Banana and oat pancake

2 bananas;
2 eggs;
Cinnamon

Mix in 4 tbsp oat flour

Ahh this was a baby led weaning favourite in my house - they are weirdly nice (though my daughter is 12 and I haven't made them since she was a baby! So maybe not that nice). I used to put syrup on mine though

Ahh this was a baby led weaning favourite in my house - they are weirdly nice. I used to put syrup on mine though
Yes, just found another recipe with some baking powder and salt added, then topped with maple syrup.
And cooked in a couple of batches of little pancakes, not one sodding great big one you can't flip.
It does sound like baby food though :D

Back
Top Bottom