Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I've just seen this recipe on FB and can't decide if it would be nice or disgusting, so I'm going to buy the ingredients when I walk my youngest home from school.

Banana and oat pancake

2 bananas;
2 eggs;
4 tablespoons of oat flour;
Cinnamon

Mash bananas and add to two whisked eggs.
Mix in 4 tbsp oat flour

Heat some oil in a frying pan.
Fry for 4 minutes on a low heat with a lid on.
Turn it onto a plate a return to fry other side for 2 minutes.

Slide onto a plate and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Not bad with maple syrup, not keen without. Bit baby foody.

I think really I'd rather have the pancakes and then sliced banana on top of them (probably with maple syrup and ice cream, or chocolate sauce or summat) rather than with banana in them.

Not terribly fond of bananas as a standalone thing, but I like them as part of a dessert or cake.

Smoked sounds good. Think this was marinaded then grilled.
It's a pity it's not more available in the UK. Elvers are great lightly fried with a little pinch of chilli flakes, and garlic slices. Sometimes I'll put in a few small shrimps.

I'm so going to miss Spain.

It's a pity it's not more available in the UK. Elvers are great lightly fried with a little pinch of chilli flakes, and garlic slices. Sometimes I'll put in a few small shrimps.

I'm so going to miss Spain.

Being ignorant of much about eels and there ways, I did a little reading and see the errors of my ways, and that I was lucky to avoid being STRUCK DOWN BY THE LORD!!! :eek:

I'm sadly not keen on eel. I've tried it a few times in different ways (not cooked it myself, but in restaurants where I liked everything else and got the sense that they knew what they were doing with food!) and it just isn't something that does it for me.

I made socca today. That's a sort of pancake/flatbread made from chickpea flour. Can't say I loved it, but I'm only here for 4.5 more days and am trying to use up the food I have.

See I tried this a few years ago and found it a bit meh. Suspect it was me. I'd love to try them as street food cooked properly where they were invented.

Not new new, but never been a fan of paneer. Boring stuff with a crap texture floating in curries. Why bother when you can have meat.

Was served a big slab of it fried on the side of a dish and it was a bit of a revelation. I shall be cooking this myself!

Probably one of the most horrible things I have ever put in my mouth. And I have eaten things like ayahuasca bark powder and san pedro cactus.

I can only describe it as a bitter, mustardy green sludge. If you were captured on an alien asteroid outpost this is what they would give you to eat in their dungeon.

20220524_105852.jpg

I made socca today. That's a sort of pancake/flatbread made from chickpea flour. Can't say I loved it, but I'm only here for 4.5 more days and am trying to use up the food I have.

See I tried this a few years ago and found it a bit meh. Suspect it was me. I'd love to try them as street food cooked properly where they were invented.

Socca is one of my kitchen standbys. Not right now, cos I’m carb free for the time being but in more ordinary times I make a stack about once a fortnight and keep them in the freezer. They’re great as a carb accompaniment for soups or salads, make a great lunch wrap, base for pizza or as a tart. A really good standby.

Flavour depends on how well you season the batter. I add salt, pepper, really good olive oil and usually plenty of herbs de Provence but sometimes cumin or caraway or nigella seeds or maybe chilli flakes. Always let the batter rest for at least 20 minutes. Use a hot pan and not too much oil. Don’t turn it; once the bottom is cooked, put the whole pan into a hot oven.

(Although when I’m making smaller ones I work with two pans on the hob: first pan gets a ladle of batter cooked til the top is just firming up, then I flip it into the second pan to finish, and then load up the first pan with another ladle of batter. Production line innit.)

When I’ve got guests I’ll make a big one and then cut into pizza slices and serve straight from the pan, but for myself I make lots of smaller ones, cool them, stack them separated with something* and freeze. They take a few minutes to thaw out /warm up in a warm oven, or I’ll take one out at breakfast time and it’ll be ready to eat by lunchtime.

And cooked for supper, they’re good the next day too.

Socca is the South of France version but chickpea flatbread is standard fare elsewhere too.

* additional kitchen tip: I used to use waxed baking paper to separate stuff like sliced bread, socca etc but I now save and reuse the plastic sheets that come with pre-pack deli meats. A quick wipe with a soapy sponge, rinse, laid to drain and dry on a tea towel, endlessly re-useable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom