Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I googled it so you don't have to. :p

I tried that method. The first one. Nope, not worth it.

I've never been a fan of apples, or fruit in general tbh, but am eating more now than I ever have. So, am working my way round the apple kingdom. Braeburns were okay but a bit wincey. Royal Galas are bloody lovely!

I've never been a fan of apples, or fruit in general tbh, but am eating more now than I ever have. So, am working my way round the apple kingdom. Braeburns were okay but a bit wincey. Royal Galas are bloody lovely!
Always loved apples, although my teeth don't. I prefer tart ones - the sourer the better in my book. Loved going oggy-raiding as a kid to nick crab apples from a garden down the back alley - used to sneak in through a gap in the fence.

Always loved apples, although my teeth don't. I prefer tart ones - the sourer the better in my book. Loved going oggy-raiding as a kid to nick crab apples from a garden down the back alley - used to sneak in through a gap in the fence.
My bridge means I can't bite into them, so I quarter them with a knife instead. Urgh, hate tart!

Urgh, hate tart!
I sometimes wonder whether there is a weird genetic basis for preferences for certain tastes - I've always loved sour stuff, the harsher the better.

I sometimes buy a cooking apple just to eat as that's about the nearest thing I can get to crab apples these days. Remember eating cooking apples on the back step when me mam was making apple pies/crumbles as a kid. Likewise raw rhubarb. :)

That reminds me - I've got a couple of kilos of frozen rhubarb I need to use, along with a few cans of the stuff. Will have to start having porridge for breakfast so I can chuck it in.

I sometimes wonder whether there is a weird genetic basis for preferences for certain tastes - I've always loved sour stuff, the harsher the better.

I sometimes buy a cooking apple just to eat as that's about the nearest thing I can get to crab apples these days. Remember eating cooking apples on the back step when me mam was making apple pies/crumbles as a kid. Likewise raw rhubarb. :)
Yeh, me fella LOVES tarty flavours.

Not me, but a neighbour's parcel was left with me today.
It rattled so I'm guessing pasta ...

They seem to enjoy their BBQ and alcohol, but is very trim and runs recreationally so I'm not sure what the motivation is.
It seems rather expensive compared to what you can buy in Aldi - and the claim that pasta with sauce counts as "one of your five a day" says a lot about the overly-conservative government recommendations...

Not me, but a neighbour's parcel was left with me today.
It rattled so I'm guessing pasta ...

They seem to enjoy their BBQ and alcohol, but is very trim and runs recreationally so I'm not sure what the motivation is.
It seems rather expensive compared to what you can buy in Aldi - and the claim that pasta with sauce counts as "one of your five a day" says a lot about the overly-conservative government recommendations...

Isn't the idea that slim people couldn't possibly be eating carbs of all things a bit... incorrect? I mean especially if they run and are quite active. When I used to cycle everywhere you wouldn't believe the food I put away on a regular basis just to keep my weight up and provide the energy.

EDIT: Oh god sorry I need glasses ffs. Well maybe they like pasta but one of them has an issue with gluten. Pea protein is quite good for you isn't it?

Isn't the idea that slim people couldn't possibly be eating carbs of all things a bit... incorrect? I mean especially if they run and are quite active. When I used to cycle everywhere you wouldn't believe the food I put away on a regular basis just to keep my weight up and provide the energy.
I suppose there's some advantage to having your pasta made from peas instead of grain so the starch is less bio-available - I do that myself - only beans with dinner ... though I spoil it afterwards with grain-based desserts :oops:

But I'm not sure that pea flour works the same way ... as in "Is hummus "wholefood" ... and of course the two main ingredients of hummus can be turned into deadly confectionery ...

Last edited:
I suppose there's some advantage to having your pasta made from peas instead of grain so the starch is less bio-available - I do that myself - only beans with dinner ... though I spoil it afterwards with grain-based desserts :oops:

But I'm not sure that pea flour works the same way ...

Pea flour is just ground down dried peas*, it doesn't contain wheat.

*EDIT to add: like gram flour, which is made from chickpeas and is usually gluten free (I say usually because I don't know for certain that some brands don't stick other products in there with it, but it if it pure gram flour it is gluten free).

Pea flour is just ground down dried peas*, it doesn't contain wheat.

*EDIT to add: like gram flour, which is made from chickpeas and is usually gluten free (I say usually because I don't know for certain that some brands don't stick other products in there with it, but it if it pure gram flour it is gluten free).
what I mean is that beans have "resistant starch" - low-GI and all that ..
Of course the whole gluten-free business is a whole other rabbithole.
Sadly I see they're claiming to only use non-GM ingredients :(

If my very public non-organic hydroponic salads are a success, it will be interesting to see if it provokes discussion ...

I quite like non-wheat pasta (red lentil mostly) but when I compared them to wheat pasta, they have pretty much the same amount of carbs and not much more protein.

This has made me realise I don't know if particular species are being selectively "chosen" to do the seed distribution by the unpalatability of different fruits :hmm:
I suppose its economical for the plant to not give away too much sugar ...
Rhubarb of course is chock full of oxalic acid to discourage anything eating it :)

Yeah I'll happily eat lemons and unsweetened rhubarb and even sloes

The second two, yes, but lemons not so much for me.
Lemons have a fair amount of sugar in them tbf.

If unsweetened rhubarb becomes a bit 'meh', then Japanese knotweed is a good next step.

Back
Top Bottom