Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

i wasn’t asking google

Mochi is a pasty/gelatinous kind of cake made from smashing rice repeatedly with big hammers.

It's an acquired taste (or rather, consistency). Don't care for it but did eat one that was given to me by some mochi makers putting on a demonstation in the street. Fresh was a slight improvement.

Elderly people choke to death on the things, especially around the new year.

Here's a short piece on making mochi, which you might or might not like

Chinotto flavoured San Pellegrino. Like a Dr Pepper with a slug of tonic water. Simultaneously syrupy and bitter. Worth a go but wouldn't bother again. Might be nice with some gin and a bit of fresh orange I suppose.
Please don't use it as an example of chinotto, it's awful. The proper stuff is indeed quite sweet and bitter at the same time, but oh-so-much nicer than the San Pellegrino one.

The mrs swears by this stuff: Chinò Neri Chinotto (24x250ml) Italian soft drink

The stuff you can get in Italian places in Canada is also really nice - Brio Chinotto. It's a bit less authentic, but made to be a Coke/Pepsi replacement and really quite quaffable. When I was growing up in Ontario, every pizza place had the stuff.

Apples - never could be doing with them before - tended to go with pears - softer on the teeth and you could eat most of the core ... but I like the acidity and I'm using them as a dietary aid at the moment,

I can't imagine getting into citrus any time soon though - you have to wash your hands after you've eaten one ...

crisps.jpg
These. (fwiw I haven't eaten any KFC itself in 30+years). Incredibly chemical, alarmingly orange, savagely salty, like gnawing on a stock cube but dangerously delicious. Especially crunchy. Don't eat more than 30g at a time or your guts won't thank you. Worth £2 a bag I don't think so. But they are definitely a concentrated lesson in what makes junk food so evil and so clever. Everything in them is bad for you and you can feel the damage with every crunch but you're likely to keep reaching again and again. Personally not buying again though because the acid/saltiness is off the scale.

Basa. Was ok, had it both smoked and non-smoked. Would probably get the smoked again.

Still prefer tuna steaks though

Lemon pesto - head and heart say yes, stomach says get some omeprazole first. I use quite a lot of lemons but I think a lemon based pesto might be going a bit too far for my poor upper gastro-intestinal tract!

But can I just praise the humble lemon, the fuckers seem to last forever in a cool dark place and if that is not enough they are easily preserved - they freeze well whole and the entire thing is useable pretty much straight from the freezer (just put it in a mug filled with cold water for 15 minutes to defrost it - or halve/quarter them before freezing if you usually don't need a whole lemon), leave them somewhere dark and cool and dry and the skin will dry out naturally but they will still be good for juice for weeks, you can pickle them in brine or vinegar...

I demolished a load of dried figs yesterday - in mitigation I also cycled 25 miles ...

I walked past the fresh dates, but inevitably came back with a kilo of Tunisian Deglet Nour - which are deadly.

danny la rouge might slaughter me for this, but here goes.
Tattiescones. A mix of mashed potato and flour, fried in oil and served at any time. Looks like a bit of flat bread.
Aberdeen Rowies. Served at breakfast either hot warm or cold, taken straight of with something like Jam. They are similar to a squashed croissant but I'm getting lots of salt. They have lard and are not vegetarian. Scottish Buttery Recipe - Aberdeen Butteries Rowies

danny la rouge might slaughter me for this, but here goes.
Tattiescones. A mix of mashed potato and flour, fried in oil and served at any time. Looks like a bit of flat bread.
Aberdeen Rowies. Served at breakfast either hot warm or cold, taken straight of with something like Jam. They are similar to a squashed croissant but I'm getting lots of salt. They have lard and are not vegetarian. Scottish Buttery Recipe - Aberdeen Butteries Rowies
I’m glad to see your palate improving.

Back
Top Bottom