Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Not new to me as such, But never cooked it before... karashi renkon, the best veggie beer snack, lotus root stuffed with mustard flavoured miso, battered and deep-fried. Not vegan because egg in batter, but probably not hard to adapt. From Kumamoto (hence the weird bear thing, look I didn’t take this pic for you lot, long story).

8BE98956-FE91-4FA3-8376-3FFEFA852454.jpeg

e2a: the filling should be bright mustard yellow, but I couldn't find light miso and just used some Korean dark miso type stuff.

Last edited:
Ah I did think that due to ‘KFC of the gravy’ ...😂

I looked in Sainsbury’s for this , want to get some for March b’day gifts!

Come in Badgers now need to where you got this please.

I've seen the KFC style gravy granules in Iceland too if that helps anyone procure them.

At uni my friend used to put a slice of white bread in a bowl and then pour half a pint of bisto over the top. That was the entire meal. 15 years later and I still take the piss out of her for it.
I like bread soaked in a good gravy. In fact I might now need to make some. I have a lamb hock so that's a start.

Okra, was making a Jamaican curry, bitter and slimy. I don't think it was the way it might need to be eaten and I'm sure there's a way to eat it and it tastes ok but God, nasty!

Okra, was making a Jamaican curry, bitter and slimy. I don't think it was the way it might need to be eaten and I'm sure there's a way to eat it and it tastes ok but God, nasty!

Yeah I think you might have done it wrong - it is one of those things that when done well can be excellent but it can all go badly wrong (cooked too long they can turn to slime - you want to cook it quickly on a high heat rather than steam or sweat it which will cause more of the sticky gum to be released - the stuff is used as a thickener in some dishes but if you don't want the gum to come out you have to grill or fry it very quickly).

Last edited:
Yeah I think you might have done it wrong - it is one of those things that when done well can be excellent but it can all go badly wrong (cooked too long they can turn to slime - you want to cook it quickly on a high heat rather than steam or sweat it which will cause more of the sticky gum to be released - the stuff is used as a thickener in some dishes but if you don't want the gum to come out you have to grill or fry it very quickly).
Thank you, sounds like I might try it as just a vegetable dish better than putting it in a curry

Will someone please tell me what the fuck KFC gravy is, and why anyone thinks gravy is an appropriate condiment for fried chicken? :D
Pulling a guess out of the air, I would suppose it's alleged to be some sort of bastardized fast food variant of that thick roux-based sauce with sausagemeat in it that Americans call gravy and have on what they call biscuits. The same kind of stuff they have on chicken fried steak/pork chops.
That sort of white gravy bears no resemblance to what I know as gravy, either, but it is pretty good when you get some that is properly made on a fluffy sconny biscuit.
But KFC gravy has evolved into what it is today, its own independent species of muck.

Snack shopping mission today. I've got a pile of Lays and I've just tried these new Seabrooks.

Bloody nice. Strong but not too strong and look as identical to the ones on the front as photography allows which makes a pleasant change.

Attachments

• received_3769505443114469.jpeg
    received_3769505443114469.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom