Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I bought some garlic stems from the Korean supermarket last week and they are so good. They kind of look like huge chives, but not hollow, and have the texture of French beans. They taste closest to wild garlic. They're really nice raw and cooked, I put them in a pork and gochujang stew. Can't wait to get some more, apparently they make really good pesto.

I bought some garlic stems from the Korean supermarket last week and they are so good. They kind of look like huge chives, but not hollow, and have the texture of French beans. They taste closest to wild garlic. They're really nice raw and cooked, I put them in a pork and gochujang stew. Can't wait to get some more, apparently they make really good pesto.
I bought those for the first time a couple of weeks ago and have some in the fridge again now. Agree that they are excellent and provide a nice change to the usual vegetables I buy at the Chinese supermarket. Stir fried then tossed towards the end in a sauce of soy sauce, black vinegar and sesame oil is delicious ( just a tablespoon of each).

How are they price wise? I love Morning Glory but it's stupidly expensive and I assume it's similar. One day I'll treat myself.

As a contribution to the thread, cardamom tea. Quite menthol and very pleasant. I would guess dates are the usual eat with it but having tried cake rusk recently I'm going to get some more and try that. I had quite a "safe" food upbringing. It was a bit varied but nothing interesting. Derby has such a diverse range of shops with more popping up all the time, I do like to chomp my way around the globe.

How are they price wise? I love Morning Glory but it's stupidly expensive and I assume it's similar. One day I'll treat myself.
I don't think they were very expensive, I can't remember and it doesn't say on the packet. I do sometimes go into a bit of a trance in food shops and spend way too much money. I'll check next time, hopefully it won't be a shock.

As a contribution to the thread, cardamom tea. Quite menthol and very pleasant. I would guess dates are the usual eat with it but having tried cake rusk recently I'm going to get some more and try that. I had quite a "safe" food upbringing. It was a bit varied but nothing interesting. Derby has such a diverse range of shops with more popping up all the time, I do like to chomp my way around the globe.
I love cardamom tea, I have it with milk and sugar, it's very comforting.

I don't think they were very expensive, I can't remember and it doesn't say on the packet. I do sometimes go into a bit of a trance in food shops and spend way too much money. I'll check next time, hopefully it won't be a shock.
I do the same. When I'm abroad one of my first missions is always a good mooch round local supermarkets and convenience stores. 7/11s are awesome outside of the States. I do the oooo that looks good and then get back to my house, or hotel if I'm abroad, and realise my ample purchases.

sainsburys have started carrying this

s-l640.jpg

70% Roasted Peppers, 20% Roasted Aubergine, 9% Sunflower Oil, 1% Spices

From Macedonia
Simple and delicious

A "new food" in every sense: flavour drops - purportedly natural distillates, not lab-synthesised inventions - essences of orange zest, saffron, lemon grass, etc etc etc. Frighteningly powerful: two tiny drops of 'chai spice' - even smaller than drops from an eyedropper thingy - were more than enough to make a very large mug (2/3 of a pint) of ordinary tea into a pretty authentic-tasting chai. Then I repeated the experiment with another (same sized) mug and 3 drops and felt my mouth burn a bit. Are they going to give me cancer or mutate my DNA? If not they're absolutely amazing science.

I've recently discovered these oatcakes which, while much more expensive than oatcakes really should be, are also much more delicious than oatcakes should be. I have been having them for breakfast with butter and honey.

Just tried Paris cola. Dull, not worth bothering with.

Pepsi Maxi raspberry. I liked it and will have it again.

20210208_124222.jpg20210208_125357.jpg

Saw lamprey being offered at a restaurant that does takeaway. Unfortunately/fortunately it was on a menu from last week. Ive never tried it but I've seen it before , ugly looking thing that sucks blood apparently. Anyone ever tried it?

I'm sure I have tried this before, as I've eaten in plenty of Korean restaurants, but I've just started cooking with gochujang, fermented red pepper paste.

View attachment 242574

It's delicious, and gives that comforting spicy, sweet fermented taste that's unique to Korean dishes.

I used it to cook maeun dwaeji galbi (spicy, sticky ribs) and dakbokkumtang (chicken stew) recently, both great successes!

I've had that tonight. Stired through minced pork some other sauces it's a firm favorite round here, especially as it's so quick.

It will be a while (and 6 fewer BMI points) before I'm likely to try these, but this video coincidentally just popped up after I had been watching other Japanese culinary videos ...
Breadcrumbs manufactured using a unique technique that appeals to my technological inclinations.

It will be a while (and 6 fewer BMI points) before I'm likely to try these, but this video coincidentally just popped up after I had been watching other Japanese culinary videos ...
Breadcrumbs manufactured using a unique technique that appeals to my technological inclinations.

"Now go bread and fry something!" :)

Back
Top Bottom