Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Doesn't even have to be savoury with chestnuts - they're also brilliant pureed or crumbled, slightly sweetened and added to an ice cream mix
Or puree them with a sweetener of your taste, cover with whipped (or even squirty) cream, dust with some grated dark choc or cocoa and it's Monte Bianco
Chestnut and anything cake is an option (chestnut and chocolate torte-type things particularly amazing)
They wouldn't last 3 weeks let alone 3 years in my cupboard!

Tonight I did quail legs, crumbled, marinaded with parsley and garlic, then deep fried. Absolutely wonderful.

I've also done oven baked oysters with a herb crumb. Normally i have them raw, but Mrs D doesn't like them that way. Again, these were amazingly good.

Now we're having wild prawns boiled in a 5 spice seasoned water. Bloody good.

The foods themselves are not new but the recipes are.

Were they like Twiglets?

Bought a Roscon de Reys, traditional Spanish Christmas cake, yesterday. Usually we have a rich fruit cake Christmas cake. But this is delicious. We will have it again and in addition to a fruit cake.

ETA
912444_1.jpg

Last edited:
I made steak with blue cheese and onion sauce, Mrs Dess had a vegan "chicken" burger. Mine was great, her's was awful. It was flavourless and had a cardboard texture. She will not have it again.

Good news - mealworms have been approved in the EU. Not sure if they're already approved in the UK but hope so. If not dessiato will have to be our guinea pig and report back on the crunchy goodness.

1430.jpg

Good news - mealworms have been approved in the EU. Not sure if they're already approved in the UK but hope so. If not dessiato will have to be our guinea pig and report back on the crunchy goodness.

1430.jpg

I had them years ago. They're nice. I like them fried with a hint of garlic and chilli, which also works with most worms, although earthworms do make a decent omelette.

1430.jpg

been available here for years apparently. these guys can sort you out: Horizon Edible Insects London - Urban Edible Insects farm

Caviar (lumpfish) - that was a waste of £4. Blinis too, also not impressed.
Have some salmon caviar too but not that keen on trying it now.
have been feeding a feral cat at work, he’s so gonna get spoiled next week

20210123_160905.jpg
The top one is dates with chocolate and mint, the second fig with almonds. Both are compressed into a dense cake. The first was both nice and disappointing. The flavour was that of After 8 mints, completely swamping the dates. The second was exactly as you'd expect.

Both very nice and I'll have them again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom