Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

If you get your hydration just right, use milk and butter liberally, it's pretty much as good as. The problem is that mash from scratch is incredibly forgiving of getting the details a bit wrong, whereas instant mash has to be just right or it's awful.

I don't mind doing it from scratch because I'm one of those sick fucks who doesn't mind skins in their mash. I can totally understand not wanting to peel potatoes though.

I've had Mr Mash before during the days when I needed immediate food as I was usually too fucked to do anything properly, but it's impossible to get instant mash that's nicer than the mash I make these days. More butter than you think, less milk than you think. Just takes a lot longer but it's time well spent IMO

Giant wotsits. I've obviously had wotsits before, but these are giant ones so I had to try them. Picked up a flaming hot pack of giants too.

I don't mind doing it from scratch because I'm one of those sick fucks who doesn't mind skins in their mash. I can totally understand not wanting to peel potatoes though.
I've never peeled spuds - it seems odd to waste the skin as that's good for you. It looks nice in the mash too.

Absolute bugger to find the pinhead oatmeal you need though.
Ah... pinhead oatmeal is not something I have in stock, I just used plain old regular oats. I came across a reference to Skirlie and having never seen or tasted it but being a fan of oats knocked up a dish. It looked like the pic on google and must have tasted similar.

^ that looks delicious! I love poppy seeds but I'm not mad on raisins and a lot of the poppy seed pastries I've had in Polish places were full of raisin paste :snarl:

New food tried: Sahlab / salep - a sort of middle eastern milk pudding. SICKLY FAIL. Made from a mix in a box from Lebanon, so maybe it was just a really shit brand, but it was not nice. Proper sahib/salep/spell it how you want to is a sort of blancmange thing, can be custardy and set or custardy and liquid, sweetened milk thickened with the powder of some sort of root instead of flour or cornstarch. Also has gum mastic in, which makes it smell a bit weirdly of perfume. Anyway, the mix I got was alarming chemical white, smelled of eau de cologne, boiled up with a few cups of milk it thickened up nicely ... but it was unbearably sweet and cloying. Ended up tipping it down the drain as it was still horrible even when chilled overnight. 1/10 won't repeat. Like a medical weight-gain shake but less appealing.

I suspect Trump's plan is to flee to Sweden.

Turns out he's fluent in Swedish!

Edited to add: Oh bugger. Posted to the wrong thread. Again :(

#dementia #probably

Last edited:
Pomelo. Came in the oddbox. I wish someone wanted to share. It's huge.
IMG_20201116_154410.jpg

And the other week I tried lobster. I had it once before as part of a tiny starter thing but this was my first deshelling it myself. Fuck that. Nice fancy sandwich tho.
IMG_20201106_130554.jpg

mrs mx has gone gluten free. We've been trying different gluten free pastas.

Green Pea Flour pasta.

Don't. I've just cooked some for her dinner tonight. I had to go and rinse with mouthwash when I tested it.

When my OH was trying this the best I found were the red lentil one and black bean spaghetti.

Instant mashed potato. Nicer than the non-instant type, although this might be due to the lack of chopping, boiling and mashing required, and the amount of salt and flavourings present.

View attachment 237528

The Cheddar Cheese version of the above, not quite as nice but still very moreish. If you only every tried other brands like Smash i’d highly recommended this stuff from Idaho.

View attachment 239149

And the other week I tried lobster. I had it once before as part of a tiny starter thing but this was my first deshelling it myself. Fuck that. Nice fancy sandwich tho.
View attachment 239151
I love pomelo but it's difficult to get here because people assume it's grapefruit, and of course it isn't.

I also like lobster. My local supermarket sells live ones. I must get some again.

View attachment 239149

View attachment 239151
I bought a pomelo once. Ate a small bit and then turned the rest into marmalade. farmerbarleymow pointed out that it's basically a form of grapefruit and can interact with some medications so it wasn't a good idea for me to eat it.

I bought a pomelo once. Ate a small bit and then turned the rest into marmalade. farmerbarleymow pointed out that it's basically a form of grapefruit and can interact with some medications so it wasn't a good idea for me to eat it.
A grapefruit (Citrus × paradisi) is a cross between a pomelo (Citrus maxima) and an orange (Citrus sinensis). Grapefruits and pomelos are often confused because of their size and because pomelo means grapefruit in some european languages, but pomelos are bigger, usually yellower, slightly pear shaped and have far thicker pith, with segments that separate easily and distinctive flesh that comes away in bits. They taste a little grapefruity but are rarely bitter. They're so nice I even buy them when they're not on offer in Lidl. I do feel guilty about the food miles though cause they weigh a tonne.

And sorry you're missing out. :(

A grapefruit (Citrus × paradisi) is a cross between a pomelo (Citrus maxima) and an orange (Citrus sinensis). Grapefruits and pomelos are often confused because of their size and because pomelo means grapefruit in some european languages, but pomelos are bigger, usually yellower, slightly pear shaped and have far thicker pith, with segments that separate easily and distinctive flesh that comes away in bits. They taste a little grapefruity but are rarely bitter. They're so nice I even buy them when they're not on offer in Lidl. I do feel guilty about the food miles though cause they weigh a tonne.

And sorry you're missing out. :(
Can't stand grapefruit, and didn't like the pomelo much! :D

I've never had lobster, I'd like to. Burger and Lobster have set up delivery here but I'm not paying £30 for a lobster roll that's bound to be squashed and soggy. One day.
Mine was from Lidl. I think they have them in occasionally. I was a bit intimidated so just shoved it in the freezer.

Yeah, coumarin compounds in grapefruits interfere with drug metabolism via the cytochrome P450 pathway.

Interesting article here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom