Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Wonderfarm White Fungus Bird's Nest Drink.

1596291920690.png

Saw it whilst browsing a Chinese supermarket and had to try it. White fungus and bird's nests. Who wouldn't?

It's quite unpleasant with quite a thick, slimy consistency, and lumps of white stuff in it. A little research leads me to understand that the 'delicacy' ingredient of bird's nests, as consumed by the Chinese, is actually the bird's saliva which binds the grass and straw of the nests together. So this is a drink containing bird gob and fungus.

It's quite unpleasant with quite a thick, slimy consistency, and lumps of white stuff in it. A little research leads me to understand that the 'delicacy' ingredient of bird's nests, as consumed by the Chinese, is actually the bird's saliva which binds the grass and straw of the nests together. So this is a drink containing bird gob and fungus.
Yum - can of snot. :(

Portokalopita - delicious if rather hefty Greek pudding/pie/sweet thing with scraps of filo pastry apparently baked to submission in custard laced with extra orange zest and syrup to liven it up a bit. Bit odd because it looks exactly like a Spanish tortilla but is sweet (not too sweet though, unlike most Greek pastries which are, for my taste), the texture inside is kind of fluffy/holey like French toast crossed with creme caramel, but drier and more like brioche or croissant towards the edges. Kind of stodgy - I think it might be a Greek version of lokshen pudding or other E European milk/starch puddings - but really appeals to me. Wouldn't bother making at home but would eat it anywhere I saw it on sale.

For dinner tonight I made Chinese style deep fried salt and pepper ribs. Not sure I'll make them again although they were OK.

Also not completely new but I had cockles and winkles the other week. My maternal grandfather loved them and used to eat masses of them on Brighton seafront when I was a kid but being a kid they were a bit too alien for me. I think I probably did try them then but can't actively recall it. I quite enjoyed them and would definitely have another go.

Also not completely new but I had cockles and winkles the other week. My maternal grandfather loved them and used to eat masses of them on Brighton seafront when I was a kid but being a kid they were a bit too alien for me. I think I probably did try them then but can't actively recall it. I quite enjoyed them and would definitely have another go.
There used to be a van in the market in my home town that sold winkles and similar stuff. A bag of them with vinegar was cheap.

View attachment 224604

Saw it whilst browsing a Chinese supermarket and had to try it. White fungus and bird's nests. Who wouldn't?

Wheres the pukey smiley when you need one?

We had some bacaladilla yesterday, they're sardine sized fish. They have a cod like texture and flavour. I'll have them again.

We also had hot, smoked sardines a couple of days ago. They're great but a bit too salty for my taste.

We also had a fridura (?) at the beach with "fish and chips." Nothing like UK f&c but very good in its own right.

Last edited:
We had some bacaladilla yesterday, they're sardine sized fish. They have a cod like texture and flavour. I'll have them again.

We also had hot, smoked sardines a couple of days ago. They're great but a bit too salty for my taste.

We also had a fridura (?) at the beach with "fish and chips." Nothing like UK f&c but very good in its own right.
Think they are like a small whiting which sounds very nice

Had some lovely smoked sardines in the Azores

I love them normally. But this was the first time hot. Sardines are an underrated fish in the UK. Good fresh ones are really worth the effort.

Yes, they really are, and the same goes for mackerel. I think a lot of people shy away from it because it's strongly flavoured and it smells very fishy, but if prepared well it's delicious.

We used to have winkle sarnies when I was a kid.
Thick crusty white bread, loads of butter, winkles and fresh water cress that my granddad had cut while he was fishing.
LUSH!

Yes, they really are, and the same goes for mackerel. I think a lot of people shy away from it because it's strongly flavoured and it smells very fishy, but if prepared well it's delicious.

I like mackerel but cannot eat it unless I shut the cats in another room - last time I had some and failed to do so I was rapidly scaled by wailing felines who then attempted to snatch fish off my plate!

View attachment 224604

it might be fake ...
real swiftlet nests are very expensive ...
Harvesting-Cave-Swiftlet-nests-at-Gomantong-Caves-Source-Travel-Guide-Gomantong-Caves.html.jpg

Typical of me to discover Yakult is fucking delicious just as I'm trying to convert to more vegan things. Tastes like the cheesy bit of a lemon flavoured cheesecake blitzed into a thin milk. I suspect necking a few would be a bit of an overload of the belly so I'm rationing to one a day.

My friend made it but like me she's not big on proper recipes just chuck it in and hope. You cut the courgette lengthways in very thin slices. Then you make a marinade with a couple of spoons each of maple syrup, olive oil, soy sauce and smoked paprika. Brush it on both sides of the courgette, then bake for 15 minutes, turn, then cook another 15 minutes until it goes crispy. It's the maple syrup and the smoked paprika that give it that "bacony" taste. You could probably grill it too.

Back
Top Bottom