Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I can't find that I've already posted this and it's not really new foods but I do rather enjoy a drop of Tabasco on my melon.
Have tried a few different types and they all work. Cut in chunks, couple of drops, delight.
Other hot sauces should work but original Tabasco is best for me.

Thanks for that. We`ve still got some zuccini growing in the garden so I`m going to try this recipe out.
I've got some of this for smoking up tofu and the like. It's vegan and adds a nice tang to bean chili too. I've not done nearly enough experimenting with making things taste smokey. It's quite thin but the flavour is good.

Marmite flatbreads - seriously addictive.

They already have cheese in so I have them with just butter.

marmite-flatbreads.png

I'd like to try a Gros Michel banana - once the staple before being devastated as a commercial crop in the 50s/60s by some disease and replaced by today's Cavendish - the difference in taste is said to be remarkable. Anyone here tried one, can they be tracked down?

I'd like to try a Gros Michel banana - once the staple before being devastated as a commercial crop in the 50s/60s by some disease and replaced by today's Cavendish - the difference in taste is said to be remarkable. Anyone here tried one, can they be tracked down?
I must look for some. I'm growing dwarf Cavendish but an alternative to try would be good.

Way too hipster for me, and I have no desire for a "meat substitute", but Aldi now have Jackfruit in a can and I'm always up for trying a new edible plant.

:hmm: it tastes acidic straight from the can so I'm nervous of adding it to my stew in case I spoil it.
Perhaps I'll marinade it in something.
I have no intention of "pulling" it, whatever the hell that entails ...

uzxtnikjkk151.jpg

Way too hipster for me, and I have no desire for a "meat substitute", but Aldi now have Jackfruit in a can and I'm always up for trying a new edible plant.

:hmm: it tastes acidic straight from the can so I'm nervous of adding it to my stew in case I spoil it.
Perhaps I'll marinade it in something.
I have no intention of "pulling" it, whatever the hell that entails ...

View attachment 234467
I'm pulling it tonight, I would recommend it. Nice, quick and simple and tastes lovely - Vegan pulled jackfruit recipe - BBC Good Food

Not tried it with anything else yet, but it does soak up flavour really well and has an interesting and chewy texture. A bit like......

I must look for some. I'm growing dwarf Cavendish but an alternative to try would be good.
I sometimes buy Madeira bananas , they are smaller than normal bananas and I’ve been told several times that the EU banned them from being exported as they are too small. Tbh they taste the same .

I sometimes buy Madeira bananas , they are smaller than normal bananas and I’ve been told several times that the EU banned them from being exported as they are too small. Tbh they taste the same .
The dwarf Cavendish are, I'm told, the Canarias species. I assume they're going to taste the same. I'll let you know next year. If I get any.

Apparently they are what artificial banana flavour is based on, hence why banana sweets don't taste like banana for everyone that's only had Cavendish. Same is true of grape flavour, which is based on Concord grapes, an American variety that is not anywhere near as common now as when the flavour was developed.

Apparently they are what artificial banana flavour is based on, hence why banana sweets don't taste like banana for everyone that's only had Cavendish. Same is true of grape flavour, which is based on Concord grapes, an American variety that is not anywhere near as common now as when the flavour was developed.
I’ve only been awake for 15 minutes and have already learned something new! :thumbs:

^So not berry good then? (sorry)

Finally got to try some Japanese mochi for myself - I knew what they were but had never eaten any. Friends' kids are all now into ice cream mochi so I wanted to catch up with the times and got a box of the traditional (traditional-ish) kind - matcha flavoured with red bean inside, coconut-coated with black sesame paste inside, and sesame-seed-coated with red bean inside. All pretty good, hardly sweet at all which suits me, and with that lethal. delicious bouncy-starch texture I love in sticky rice, gnocchi, or pounded yam - they can all choke you to death but it's worth the risk. Anyway the last kind (sesame coating the rice starch and then red bean inside) was already familiar as it turns out, because it's the same as a sort of dim sum I've eaten and liked for decades in Chinatown ... only the Chinese version's the size of a tennis ball not a golf ball and costs half as much.

For the mochi experts: they say 'eat soon after opening' but how soon is soon? They weren't refrigerated to start with and they had a pack of silica gel in with them in the box. They're not individually sealed. I already know from the internets that they don't do well in the fridge because it screws up the starchy bounce, but how soon will they moulder/rot/incubate rice badgers if kept in a cool dark cupboard with the sleeve opened but in their cardboard box?

^So not berry good then? (sorry)

Finally got to try some Japanese mochi for myself - I knew what they were but had never eaten any. Friends' kids are all now into ice cream mochi so I wanted to catch up with the times and got a box of the traditional (traditional-ish) kind - matcha flavoured with red bean inside, coconut-coated with black sesame paste inside, and sesame-seed-coated with red bean inside. All pretty good, hardly sweet at all which suits me, and with that lethal. delicious bouncy-starch texture I love in sticky rice, gnocchi, or pounded yam - they can all choke you to death but it's worth the risk. Anyway the last kind (sesame coating the rice starch and then red bean inside) was already familiar as it turns out, because it's the same as a sort of dim sum I've eaten and liked for decades in Chinatown ... only the Chinese version's the size of a tennis ball not a golf ball and costs half as much.

For the mochi experts: they say 'eat soon after opening' but how soon is soon? They weren't refrigerated to start with and they had a pack of silica gel in with them in the box. They're not individually sealed. I already know from the internets that they don't do well in the fridge because it screws up the starchy bounce, but how soon will they moulder/rot/incubate rice badgers if kept in a cool dark cupboard with the sleeve opened but in their cardboard box?
I love mochi. I might have to take an exercise/ shopping trip to the Chinese supermarket and get some. I always just eat the whole box at a time so don't have a problem about keeping them. Can they really choke you to death?

Back
Top Bottom