Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

^ that looks delicious! I love poppy seeds but I'm not mad on raisins and a lot of the poppy seed pastries I've had in Polish places were full of raisin paste :snarl:

New food tried: Sahlab / salep - a sort of middle eastern milk pudding. SICKLY FAIL. Made from a mix in a box from Lebanon, so maybe it was just a really shit brand, but it was not nice. Proper sahib/salep/spell it how you want to is a sort of blancmange thing, can be custardy and set or custardy and liquid, sweetened milk thickened with the powder of some sort of root instead of flour or cornstarch. Also has gum mastic in, which makes it smell a bit weirdly of perfume. Anyway, the mix I got was alarming chemical white, smelled of eau de cologne, boiled up with a few cups of milk it thickened up nicely ... but it was unbearably sweet and cloying. Ended up tipping it down the drain as it was still horrible even when chilled overnight. 1/10 won't repeat. Like a medical weight-gain shake but less appealing.
Might it have been flavoured with orange blossom water? I once tried someone’s homemade turkish delight and it tasted like 4711.

Pheasant, roasted (my neighbour shot it in his garden and was very proud). Much tastier than a chicken but chewy. Maybe that was more the neighbours cooking than the bird though idk .

I finally opened my jar of shredded celeriac.

The jury is out .. I suspect the flavour is being somewhat masked by added sugar.. I may have to buy an actual root to see if this is my way into celery .. it reminds me that it's been a very long time since I last tasted Florence fennel - though I would have to make a special shopping trip to find that - perhaps the next time I visit the deli for tahini ... :hmm:

I have a mixed relationship with umbellifers, it took someone's suggestion to make me add a kilo of carrots to my weekly stew in place of even more sprouts, but I think there's a nett health benefit...

seler.jpg

Not tried...but I definitely would like to try this.

View attachment 242558

Bacon seasoning!!!!
It can be put on anything...
And..
It is vegan...🙂
Just bought some for my partner's stocking, thanks for the tip! He's going to love it, he's weirdly obsessed with condiments and he loves bacon too.

I'm sure I have tried this before, as I've eaten in plenty of Korean restaurants, but I've just started cooking with gochujang, fermented red pepper paste.

7FCD443D-BD7C-49B0-92BE-A3A33CBE6CD1.jpeg

It's delicious, and gives that comforting spicy, sweet fermented taste that's unique to Korean dishes.

I used it to cook maeun dwaeji galbi (spicy, sticky ribs) and dakbokkumtang (chicken stew) recently, both great successes!

Pheasant, roasted (my neighbour shot it in his garden and was very proud). Much tastier than a chicken but chewy. Maybe that was more the neighbours cooking than the bird though idk .
Pheasants are much better slow cooked, pot roasted or casseroled. They're much more tender then and it's much, much easier to get all the meat off the bone. My father in law had the technique of giving them a fatal glancing blow with his car so we had the opportunity to discover the best culinary approach.

These....
redonion-1.png

Made in Ireland by a son and his mum.
They are absolutely amazing!!!!
They are roasted peas and beans and the flavours are delicious.
I'm eating a bag of red onion right now.
They also do garlic and barbcue and I think another one...
They are very filling so a 35g bag is like a lunch.

I'm sure I have tried this before, as I've eaten in plenty of Korean restaurants, but I've just started cooking with gochujang, fermented red pepper paste.

View attachment 242574

It's delicious, and gives that comforting spicy, sweet fermented taste that's unique to Korean dishes.

I used it to cook maeun dwaeji galbi (spicy, sticky ribs) and dakbokkumtang (chicken stew) recently, both great successes!
I love the stuff. Just had a dollop of it on brown rice with sesame, seaweed and umeboshi sprinkles to mix the Asian influences a bit.

I like chucking it into cheapo instant noodles with some cabbage or mushrooms and maybe some fish or meat for a quick and dirty spicy noodle soup.

It oughtnt be chewy, was it a cock or a hen?
I'd stew a cock bird but might roast a hen. Will lack fat so streaky bacon on the breast helps.

Tonight I did quail legs, crumbled, marinaded with parsley and garlic, then deep fried. Absolutely wonderful.

I've also done oven baked oysters with a herb crumb. Normally i have them raw, but Mrs D doesn't like them that way. Again, these were amazingly good.

Now we're having wild prawns boiled in a 5 spice seasoned water. Bloody good.

The foods themselves are not new but the recipes are.

Make a stuffing with them (apricot & chestnut is nice) or throw them in to warm with some Brussel sprouts.
Not a fan of stuffing but sprouts are OK. They've got three years of shelf life so I've got time to ponder my options. Reminds me I've got a tin of gooseberries in the cupboard - need to check how long they're good for.

Back
Top Bottom