Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Voter suppression (UK)

There is no way this should go through.

Apparently (BBC R4) the Lords are looking to block it somehow.

Should we be relying on the Lords to maintain sanity?

A stupid piece of legislation.

Deliberately engineered to ensure that the true figures of those turning up to vote but disenfranchised by this vermin suppression will never been known.

1682406584551.png

Labour has said it may prove impossible to know how many people are turned away at next week’s local elections for not having identity documents, after it emerged that officials outside polling stations will not be making a count of those unable to vote.

While clerks inside polling stations will take a formal register of those who cannot vote because they lack the correct photo ID, some venues will place other staff outside as so-called greeters, who will remind people about the need for ID before they go in.

These greeters will not take a note of the number of people who leave when told about the requirements, the Electoral Commission has confirmed, meaning the total number of potentially disfranchised voters may never be known.

So the purpose of the greeters outside is to 'remind' i.e. discourage people without ID from going inside where they would be counted on the formal register?
I hope not. If they want their party to win, their purpose would be to help their own voters get their ID.

So the purpose of the greeters outside is to 'remind' i.e. discourage people without ID from going inside where they would be counted on the formal register?
I'll have a second stab at this. Local authorities don't like putting anyone outside polling stations.

If an election official comes out of the polling station, it's normally to quickly make sure there's nothing wrong and to tell someone off if there is.

Poltical parties normally put someone outside to greet the voters and possible identify voters and mark them off.

Polticial parties normally collude to share data at this point and it is the only part of the election process where they really do co-operate with each other.

There is an unwritten agreement that voters give their polling card number to all or none of them.

I'll have a second stab at this. Local authorities don't like putting anyone outside polling stations.

If an election official comes out of the polling station, it's normally to quickly make sure there's nothing wrong and to tell someone off if there is.

Poltical parties normally put someone outside to greet the voters and possible identify voters and mark them off.

Polticial parties normally collude to share data at this point and it is the only part of the election process where they really do co-operate with each other.

There is an unwritten agreement that voters give their polling card number to all or none of them.
Sounds as though you've had experience of telling?

Yup. I forgot the word for it. Would I ever do it again? No.
If I've understood the article correctly, the "greeters" positioned outside polling stations by EROs will be nothing to do with the tellers from the political parties. It seems that they will be there ostensibly to act as 'advanced organisers' to remind voters of the need for photo ID. In reality any such "greeting" has the potential to turn away those without photo ID before they can get to the point where their disenfranchisement might be recorded.

No elections in my area ... but the processes [inc suppression attempts] and results elsewhere are most interesting.

Just waiting for Redcar & Cleveland to get finished today [9th] as that was, I think, the whole council up for grabs.

It's odd. I actually think it'll be next time we feel the effects of this a bit more. I went this time but the whole thing felt so much more... idk... unfriendly than usual?
An interesting and, for some potential voters, an important observation. It's the culmination of all the obvious barriers and not so quantifiable 'micro-barriers' in folks heads that make voter suppression so insidious and effective. There will be a section of the population for whom voting is already quite a marginal consideration who will look at the prospect of queueing to then reach the (less than friendly) officials and face the public embarrassment of not meeting the strict requirements and then having to make the walk of shame out past the queues that will put them off even considering to go. Most likely those sort of folk won't be tories; psychopaths don't do embarrassment.

It cuts both ways - hopefully - assuming the voting age gets lowered to 16 and we get PR ... :hmm:

Oh and elimination of voter ID ...

"He freely admits that the only chance the Tories have is to have an ‘unfair advantage’"

Last edited:

We love to see it

FwKuzIoX0AAY-gt

We love to see it

FwKuzIoX0AAY-gt
This doesn't suprise me, My 88 year old father hasn't voted for years and he never voted Tory when he did but he has no photo id, He's long since lost his driving licence, he's never had a passport or a bus pass. It was a frigging nightmare when we got the solicitor round to do his LPA's and his will. In the end the solicitor just had to settle for me and both my sisters all swearing he was our Dad.
I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of elderly people in his position.

Last edited:
Thinking on about it, I live in a safe(ish) Tory that is an otherwise very nice place to live. Multicar households and foreign holidays are the normal here not the exception so I would imagine that near enough every 18-21 year old has a driving licence and/or passport.
It will be proper funny if Wheeler loses her seat because the young un's turned out and the old crumblies couldn't vote.

There really is a stupidity running through the Tories who pushed for this. They've done everything to suppress the younger vote and have just done the absolute opposite.

Back
Top Bottom