Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Everyone*. Anonymity and the associated lack of consequence has been a huge enabler of toxic behaviour ever since the internet became a public platform. We see major improvements to discourse (e.g. YouTube comments) when tied to a meaningful identity.

*caveat of usual real-world exceptions where anonymity is genuinely valuable
It's easy for you to say that you fuckwitted dickweasel.

Everyone*. Anonymity and the associated lack of consequence has been a huge enabler of toxic behaviour ever since the internet became a public platform. We see major improvements to discourse (e.g. YouTube comments) when tied to a meaningful identity.

*caveat of usual real-world exceptions where anonymity is genuinely valuable
OK "mauvais" ;)

Do you think so? This is pretty much just me going off "I reckon" rather than any kind of detailed analysis of the positions of individual Senate Republicans or anything, but I would think that there might well still be enough Republicans who want to be seen as saying that what happened on the 6th was definitely bad and over the line that they could deliver the extra votes needed for impeachment. Like, I wouldn't have thought we would arrive at a situation where people seem to be seriously speculating about whether Mike Pence of all people would be pushing to remove Trump, but here we are - that signals a pretty major realignment among Republican politicians, if not necessarily their base, imo.
Well, I suppose we'll see (aka I don't know). I'm taking as my starting point that it will be difficult for a lot of republicans to separate themselves off from trump. It's not so much a loyalty thing, hell no, more that they have a lot invested in him and will have been firmly positioned with him over the last 4/5 years. As of yet, they can't quite imagine the GOP without trump and will be very wary of looking like they've abandoned him out of self interest. However, it's also a changing situation and the numbers seem to be shifting decisively away from the voters feeling the invasion was justified (though the country looks split along party lines). Maybe things will move decisively against trump as you suggest, perhaps with the cop's funeral, maybe as more evidence emerges of things like plans to kidnap Pelosi. Anyway, I'm rambling, just have a feeling the further dozen or so GOP senators needed to flip (hate that word :mad: ) will be quite stubborn.

my point was that there should always be something before resorting to due process, and that discussing issues should always be the focus first. It’s not about absolutism.
I expect in practice that normally happens... Depends very much on circumstances of what it is. The have a word off the record, verbal warning, written warning, adjudication ladder ...
In this Took Part In A Coup claim case I can imagine the pressure to go straight to the process bit. I can well imagine there's been four Trumpy years of moments to try and talk people round.

I like the bit where he gets the sword out.
I my vast experience of sword making (many years of watching forged in fire :D ) I can tell you that repeatedly heating a weapon in a forge then cooling it in water is a sure way to make your sword brittle.

What he is describing is not tempering but hardening. This should be a one time process.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that this stuff about the security state identifying the fash makes sense to those that know about such matters?

View attachment 248308

I worked in a very big, solid building that required us to install its own 3G/4G "network". The link to the phone networks comes over the main internet connection and then repeaters were put up in basements, dead zones. I never asked this specific question but we would have had total access to all information in and out if required. We had access to everything else on the network.

It was a big building but nowhere near as big as the Capitol.

I worked in a very big, solid building that required us to install its own 3G/4G "network". The link to the phone networks comes over the main internet connection and then repeaters were put up in basements, dead zones. I never asked this specific question but we would have had total access to all information in and out if required. We had access to everything else on the network.

It was a big building but nowhere near as big as the Capitol.
Sounds like the feds will have no trouble in identifying the vast majority of those involved, then?

Back
Top Bottom